Missed Deer

Bmwh

FNG
Looking for some help here. Completely missed a buck tonight and shot under him. He didn’t spook off, he just trotted about 10 yards and then walked away. Just looking for some help on if or when he may come back through the area. TIA!

Rich M

WKR
He's still around. They get spooked all the time.

You know where he came from and where he went - you do have a chance to get on him again.

EdP

WKR
To me the most important factor is if the deer recognized the threat and where it came from. Clearly not in your case. I don't think they even react to the sound of a shot. In the case of a miss I think they react to the hit in the ground. The deer will be back when it feels like checking out that area again.

WCB

WKR
I've seen deer in the same situation come back in a couple hours or even in minutes.

Yoder

WKR
Unless they smell you, usually they aren't sure exactly what you are. Especially if he didn't run off snorting. I've missed deer and had a second shot in a few minutes. I wouldn't worry too much.

Hell I missed one with muzzleloader a few years ago at 120. He was upwind of me and actually half ran right at me. Was able to get reloaded and kill him at 55 yards.