MKC Jackstone

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I have been looking for a Magnacut fixed blade with thin blade stock and a blade shape I like, and available.

Was able to pick up a Montana Knife Company Jackstone today. Looking forward to it, I really like the design.

Anyone else grab one, or have an opinion on it?

I find many blades have more point and less belly than I want, or are thick enough to be a wrecking bar, so heavy and slice poorly.

I would rather 0.9 rather than 0.118 blade thickness, but can't be too picky.

wysongdog

WKR
Was going to pick one up but they should’ve made more all sold out in the colors I want. Lol

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Was going to pick one up but they should’ve made more all sold out in the colors I want. Lol
Yeah, I wanted orange and settled for black. I miscalculated the time difference and almost missed them entirely.

Randle

WKR
Pretty cool.
Very similar to my EESE AGK knife.
AGK has worked very well for my needs.
This should sell well with that steel

hoff1ck

WKR
Was super close to pulling the trigger. Can’t decide on the Jackstone or Stoned Goat, but I can see me buying one or the other at the next drop. Looking forward to hearing about some real world use from guys this fall. Definitely a sweet blade.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Was super close to pulling the trigger. Can’t decide on the Jackstone or Stoned Goat, but I can see me buying one or the other at the next drop. Looking forward to hearing about some real world use from guys this fall. Definitely a sweet blade.
If they made a Magnacut Stoned Goat I would have had a very hard time picking. I like the thinner blade stock on the Stoned Goat and the blade shape is great.

The wrap handles are an easy fix, I already have some micarta slabs laying around.

Anyway, I get your struggles and if the do a run of Magnacut Stoned Goats I may spend money I shouldn't.

hoff1ck

WKR
If they made a Magnacut Stoned Goat I would have had a very hard time picking. I like the thinner blade stock on the Stoned Goat and the blade shape is great.

The wrap handles are an easy fix, I already have some micarta slabs laying around.

Anyway, I get your struggles and if the do a run of Magnacut Stoned Goats I may spend money I shouldn't.
Think I would prefer the magnacut as well, though I tend to prefer a thin handle so that made the Stoned Goat appealing too. You’re right though, a magnacut Stoned Goat would be slick.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty cool.
Very similar to my EESE AGK knife.
AGK has worked very well for my needs.
This should sell well with that steel
This was my exact thought as well. I’m glad to hear you like your AGK, I just picked up one of the new S35VN versions when I found it on sale and am hoping to put it to use on elk next week if all goes well!

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm quite happy with how it feels.20231016_185041.jpg20231016_185057.jpg20231016_185103.jpg20231016_185131.jpg20231016_185146.jpg

Attachments

• 20231016_185041.jpg
    20231016_185041.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It arrived with an acceptable edge, good angles and would cleanly slice paper, but would not shave (cut one hair going of 1/2 inch on my arm), so nearing what I would consider dull but usable.

Normally a new knife needs a lot of work to reset the shoulders, but a minute or two on the Shapton Wine stone (5000 grit) and it will shave, but leave some stubble. Another minute on the strop with green compound and I get a clean shave.

I'm very happy with that. The only knife that I ever got with a better edge was a hand made custom as a gift.

I will put the Jackstone to work slaughtering pigs tomorrow and update on how it does.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
As a side note, before anyone criticizes the factory MKC edge, it was as sharp as most real scalpels I have used. My standards my be unfairly harsh.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Stoned Goat (and a few other MKC’s) they are awesome and just picked up a Jackstone. With luck, it will get tested this weekend.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Slaughtered 3 pigs today. I was working with another person, but the Jackstone split all three rib cages, cut about 8 of the hoof joints, and split a pelvis. About halfway through a pig the pop is gone from the edge (after cutting the ribs). After finishing the first pig I touched up the blade, for the next two I did not. It stayed functional through all of them.

I like good edges, the last knife work is slicing down the spine before sawing it in half. While not as sharp as I would like, the knife could push cut this without needing a slicing motion even after breaking down 6 hoof joints, cutting open two rib cages and splitting a pelvis, and skinny what would equal an entire pig. It has great edge retention. It also touches up easier than S30V (while not chipping on bone).

The blade shap and size is great, the full flat grind really helps it cut through bone and slice nicely. The tip shape is also great for opening the abdominal cavity.

I think this knife will be a keeper.

Dbaer282

FNG
Looks like an awesome knife ! Wanted to get one when they dropped but missed out. Like any MKC product they are well made and thought out with the hunter in mind

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
I really like it. Feels great in hand, worked very well on my bull yesterday. The bit of belly makes skinning nice. Only drawback to the design is it doesn’t have as much of a tip to push through hide. All in all, my favorite hunting knife to date, MKC or otherwise.

IMG_4155.jpeg

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like it. Feels great in hand, worked very well on my bull yesterday. The bit of belly makes skinning nice. Only drawback to the design is it doesn’t have as much of a tip to push through hide. All in all, my favorite hunting knife to date, MKC or otherwise.

View attachment 616909
Congratulations on the bull.

If anyone feels like letting theirs go let me know. I’ve been looking for a blade like this.

For the record, i have disliked stainless knives for about 18 years. I've found them to be hard to sharpen and quick to dull. the more I look into magnacut steel, the more I realize that it might be the only stainless steel knife I'd buy. that said I don't see anyone selling a MKC jackstone anytime soonunless they're a "knife guy" and just don't like the aesthetic of the handles

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished using mine on a very large bodied white tailed deer. I am very impressed. This will take a new place as my primary hunting knife. It is still quite sharp.