MKC Jackstone

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks, this thread talked me into it. Ha ha. Last year I bought a BM altitude but I’ve been reading so much bad about them I might put it up for sale. I think this will be a much better knife for all around hunting. Now I just need to kill something so I can use it.
I love the design of the Altitude, if BM would make it in Magnacut I would probably buy another because I'm a sucker for knives. Well, perhaps not now as the Jackstone is really growing on me.

If you are careful not to cut through muddy hide and not to be rough with the edge on bone the Altitude is great. I'm not careful and always came away with at least one big chip in the edge. Paring the Altitude with a Jackstone could be a winning combination, do skin and bone work with the Jackstone and use the Altitude for caping out.

Afhunter1

WKR
I love the design of the Altitude, if BM would make it in Magnacut I would probably buy another because I'm a sucker for knives. Well, perhaps not now as the Jackstone is really growing on me.

If you are careful not to cut through muddy hide and not to be rough with the edge on bone the Altitude is great. I'm not careful and always came away with at least one big chip in the edge. Paring the Altitude with a Jackstone could be a winning combination, do skin and bone work with the Jackstone and use the Altitude for caping out.
I will prob keep it in my kill kit with a tyto handle, I also carry a BM Bugout S30V in my pocket so I have two blades and the replaceable blade knife for not much weight.

TxLite

WKR
Bumping. Is everyone still happy with their Jackstone? Thinking of trying to jump on the next drop. Still worth the $300?

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm happy with mine. I did grind off the finger guard, but that was an easy fix.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I am extremely happy with mine. I have XL hands and the handle works well for both big and fine work.

1911king

FNG
@Marbles thanks for the first hand review. I scored one this afternoon. I missed a bark river canadian release some years ago and I’m hoping this thing will live up to my expectations.

I don’t know about hype, but so far with a few animals it’s good.

I actually prefer the handle and the blade shape of the original Grohman, and the Cold Steel as well.

View attachment 701611

My only reason for picking one up is to see if I actually like magnacut. It very might be a knife I gift someone because I don't like the way it sharpens and the giftee will only have to send it in to MKC for sharpening. It seems like "everyone" is loving it but Its been 15 years since i've bought a stainless knife because of my disdain for its edge retention and sharpness.

Are both those other knives Grohmans? Is the Grohmans standard grind like a scandi grind or a sabre grind?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My only reason for picking one up is to see if I actually like magnacut. It very might be a knife I gift someone because I don't like the way it sharpens and the giftee will only have to send it in to MKC for sharpening. It seems like "everyone" is loving it but Its been 15 years since i've bought a stainless knife because of my disdain for its edge retention and sharpness.

So far magnacut seems to be about like D2 to me. I haven’t dulled this one fully and then brought the edge back, just touch up, but it seems ok. All things being equal I prefer a good simple carbon steel.

Are both those other knives Grohmans? Is the Grohmans standard grind like a scandi grind or a sabre grind?

Yes. They offer a flat grind as well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Does the mkc offer any real advantage over the other two?

To me- no. The blade shape and handles on the Cold Steel and the Grohmann are better.

And is the cold steel any good?

Actually yes. The steel isn’t some wonder elf magic, just a decent plain stainless. It holds an edge well enough and is easy to sharpen. Got through skinning and quartering an entire elk without touching it last season. Sharpened back up in 2-3 minutes.

Got my Jackstone on Saturday.. Initial thoughts

Its heavy for size, more weight in the handle than blade.I'd rather have the weight in the handle though, so its not a negative. Just an observation. It fits the hand well and the finger guard is nice so you won't accidentally slide your fingers down on the blade.
The sheath is nice and easy to adjust for different carrying.
Blade seems to have a 800-1K grit final grind so it wouldn't take much effort to get it to a finer grit finish. Last knife I bought came with about a 500 grit finish so this was a pleasant surprise. However I think I'll just use the knife as is for the summer and sharpen for the hunting season. I'd rather see how hard it is to sharpen from near dull

For something similar and more affordable you might check out the Bear Forest Pickens Game Knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk