MKC Jackstone

Ahutty19

FNG
Congratulations on the bull.
I really like it. Feels great in hand, worked very well on my bull yesterday. The bit of belly makes skinning nice. Only drawback to the design is it doesn’t have as much of a tip to push through hide. All in all, my favorite hunting knife to date, MKC or otherwise.

View attachment 616909
That’s the kind of test you’re looking for!

paxamus

WKR
I’ve got one that just wasn’t right for me. It’s up for sale in the classifieds. Very nice blade geometry, handle, and sheath- I just have sooooo many knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahutty19

FNG
Hey man would love the knife, I’m not able to message on here yet at I just made this profile this week.

TX_Diver

WKR
Slaughtered 3 pigs today. I was working with another person, but the Jackstone split all three rib cages, cut about 8 of the hoof joints, and split a pelvis. About halfway through a pig the pop is gone from the edge (after cutting the ribs). After finishing the first pig I touched up the blade, for the next two I did not. It stayed functional through all of them.

I like good edges, the last knife work is slicing down the spine before sawing it in half. While not as sharp as I would like, the knife could push cut this without needing a slicing motion even after breaking down 6 hoof joints, cutting open two rib cages and splitting a pelvis, and skinny what would equal an entire pig. It has great edge retention. It also touches up easier than S30V (while not chipping on bone).

The blade shap and size is great, the full flat grind really helps it cut through bone and slice nicely. The tip shape is also great for opening the abdominal cavity.

I think this knife will be a keeper.

I've been using a dexter russel lamb skinner a lot at the house (used it for pigs and sheep) and this blade appears to be similar shaped? I really like the functionality of that blade style vs my previous boning/filet type knife.

What's the major advantage of the jackstone over the standard dexter russel/victorinox? I'm assuming it's a bit sturdier and also has better edge retention?

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been using a dexter russel lamb skinner a lot at the house (used it for pigs and sheep) and this blade appears to be similar shaped? I really like the functionality of that blade style vs my previous boning/filet type knife.

What's the major advantage of the jackstone over the standard dexter russel/victorinox? I'm assuming it's a bit sturdier and also has better edge retention?

As I have not used the Dexter Russell, I cannot compare directly.

The handle material of the Jackstone is more durable, but you can buy 10 of the Dexters for the same price, so unless specifically wanting a knife to use, then pass down, that is a small point. The same largely applies to blade steel as well.

The steel of the Jackstone will certainly hold an edge longer, but someone skilled with a knife steel would get the same performance from the Dexter. The Jackstone will likely survive general use and abuse better, like batting wood.

For blade length and shape, that is largely personal. Same for handle shape.

If the Dexter has not left you wanting, I would stick with it. The improvements are probably real, but not huge. My guess, is that if you got a Jackstone and used it for a season nothing significant would change, but you would not want to go back to the Dexter.

It is kind of like how most of use are completely happy with a USA made set of craftsman hand tools, but there is a reason professionals pay many times more for Snap-On and Proto.

@Marbles
Have you used the knife some more? I’m curious about Magnacut as a knife steel in general, and what you would compare it to in ease of sharpening as well as edge retention in general

Are you overall happy with that steel for its purpose? I have not handled it, used it, or sharpened it, but am really considering a knife that uses it (day 6 dragonfly)

My only hesitation is my lack of familiarity with magnacut

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
@Marbles
Have you used the knife some more? I’m curious about Magnacut as a knife steel in general, and what you would compare it to in ease of sharpening as well as edge retention in general

Are you overall happy with that steel for its purpose? I have not handled it, used it, or sharpened it, but am really considering a knife that uses it (day 6 dragonfly)

I have not used it much. I had a Hogue Deka in MagnaCut as well that I carried for a bit.

MagnaCut is easier to sharpen than S90V, S30V, D2, or 154CM (been a while on that last one). Probably not quite as easy as 440C.

Due to corrosion on the coast, I do not use carbon steel. I have a BK16 (Ka-Bar 1095 Cro-Van), but have not used it in a long time (not even sure where it is at present), I want to say it sharpens similarly, but that should be taken with a massive grain of salt, perhaps the whole shaker.

If things go as planned this weekend, I will put it to work processing wood for the camp stove and will be able to give more feedback.

It takes a good bit of use for my opinion on steel to settle, and most of the time it becomes less favorable with time. As I have not liked any of the high end stainless steels I have used for one reason or another, and ostensibly MagnaCut improves on those areas (chipping, ease of sharpening, toughness), I am expecting it to be my favorite, but, it might just have the furthest to fall.

Last edited:

paxamus

WKR
@Marbles

I only used it that once, but I have other knives in Magnacut and honestly love it. It does sharpen easy and holds an edge well. I find myself mostly buying knives in it. Bradford knives has some (I’ve got two of their Magnacut Guardians)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Fwiw I did some research on Magnacut and even though I’m sure the maxim is still true that there are tradeoffs with all steels, this one seems to have received very wide praise and adoption, by consumers and makers. On BladeForums knives that are listed for resale often include “Magnacut” in the subject line (if made with same) and other knife steels aren’t as commonly listed.

I have not used it much. I had a Hogue Deka in MagnaCut as well that I carried for a bit.

MagnaCut is easier to sharpen than S90V, S30V, D2, or 154CM (been a while on that last one). Probably not quite as easy as 440C.

Do to corrosion on the cost, I do not use carbon steel. I have a BK16 (Ka-Bar 1095 Cro-Van), but have not used it in a long time (not even sure were it is at present), I want to say it sharpens similarly, but that should be taken with a massive grain of salt, perhaps the whole shaker.

If things go as planned this weekend, I will put it to work processing wood for the camp stove and will be able to give more feedback.

It takes a good bit of use for my opinion on steel to settle, and most of the time it becomes less favorable with time. As I have not liked any of the high end stainless steels I have used for one reason or another, and ostensibly MagnaCut improves on those areas (chipping, ease of sharpening, toughness), I am expecting it to be my favorite, but, it might just have the furthest to fall.
I appreciate that, I am in the same boat on high end stainless, don’t like any in a hunting knife… I don’t mind it for my edc, but cutting up critters it’s way over hyped imo

I am also with you on it taking awhile to really decide if you like a steel or not for a given application, takes quite a bit of use.

I want to try the day 6 with Magnacut, but I want a little more real world feedback on magnacut first… don’t need another 250$ dust collector knife that isn’t even a pretty knife. I fell for the hype on the BM altitude which is probably my least favorite field knife… I was under the assumption that I would be able to get through a whole elk and still have a functional edge, but that isn’t the case… I could get through one with it, but I’ll be working with a dull knife for the last 1/3 of the job… and it’s spartan design completely loses it’s appeal when you consider the sharpening system you need to carry to field sharpen that knife… it’s no longer a light knife, it’s a heavy knife, and even at home it’s not an enjoyable knife to sharpen… especially when you have to smooth out a couple little chips in the edge almost every time.

Right now I’m torn, my favorite knife steel for the woods is the dalstrong shogun, they don’t make hunting knives but have been using one of the paring knives for a couple years, the grip isn’t good for the use, so I’m either going to buy a second one of those and have someone put new handles on both and build kydex sheaths, or go with the dragonfly… the magnacut is a very interesting steel, but listening to people, the s90v sounded impressive too

I don’t mind sharpening D2, it’s become one of my favorite knife steels, so if magnacut behaves similarly, that’s good news

I currently carry a s30v pocket knife (BM emissary) and for the purpose I’ve liked it, but don’t like it for a hunting blade

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I appreciate that, I am in the same boat on high end stainless, don’t like any in a hunting knife… I don’t mind it for my edc, but cutting up critters it’s way over hyped imo

I am also with you on it taking awhile to really decide if you like a steel or not for a given application, takes quite a bit of use.

I want to try the day 6 with Magnacut, but I want a little more real world feedback on magnacut first… don’t need another 250$ dust collector knife that isn’t even a pretty knife. I fell for the hype on the BM altitude which is probably my least favorite field knife… I was under the assumption that I would be able to get through a whole elk and still have a functional edge, but that isn’t the case… I could get through one with it, but I’ll be working with a dull knife for the last 1/3 of the job… and it’s spartan design completely loses it’s appeal when you consider the sharpening system you need to carry to field sharpen that knife… it’s no longer a light knife, it’s a heavy knife, and even at home it’s not an enjoyable knife to sharpen… especially when you have to smooth out a couple little chips in the edge almost every time.

Right now I’m torn, my favorite knife steel for the woods is the dalstrong shogun, they don’t make hunting knives but have been using one of the paring knives for a couple years, the grip isn’t good for the use, so I’m either going to buy a second one of those and have someone put new handles on both and build kydex sheaths, or go with the dragonfly… the magnacut is a very interesting steel, but listening to people, the s90v sounded impressive too

I don’t mind sharpening D2, it’s become one of my favorite knife steels, so if magnacut behaves similarly, that’s good news

I currently carry a s30v pocket knife (BM emissary) and for the purpose I’ve liked it, but don’t like it for a hunting blade
At $120ish (if you pay in CAD and have a credit card that does not charge an exchange rate), the North Arm Mallard might be a good trial blade of MagnaCut. It is basically a parring knife with a sheath. I have not used it yet, and am not sure I will like the ergonomics, but that is personal preference, not due to actual problems with the knife.

I thought I liked S90V for quite a while and had several knives in it. The chipping was my primary complaint. While better, it is also my primary complaint with S30V as well. A chipped edge just takes more effort to touch up, sometimes a lot if the chip is deep. I have a high degree of certainty that MagnaCut does not chip much. After working through three pigs I had no chips in the blade, and I was not gentle cutting through the joints or ribs. Of course, heat treat will play into that.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
@roosiebull
Well, after processing wood (some battoning, a good bit of shaving, all frozen, the knife still shaves and cuts 550 cord very cleanly without pressure.

It no longer has that pop, but it is shaving to bare skin and not leaving hairs behind. No chips in the edge either. I was not the only person processing wood, so I'm not sure much useful conclusion can be drawn from it. My S30V Bugout holds up about the same.

Afhunter1

WKR
At $120ish (if you pay in CAD and have a credit card that does not charge an exchange rate), the North Arm Mallard might be a good trial blade of MagnaCut. It is basically a parring knife with a sheath. I have not used it yet, and am not sure I will like the ergonomics, but that is personal preference, not due to actual problems with the knife.

I thought I liked S90V for quite a while and had several knives in it. The chipping was my primary complaint. While better, it is also my primary complaint with S30V as well. A chipped edge just takes more effort to touch up, sometimes a lot if the chip is deep. I have a high degree of certainty that MagnaCut does not chip much. After working through three pigs I had no chips in the blade, and I was not gentle cutting through the joints or ribs. Of course, heat treat will play into that.
I have been looking for a decent knife in Magnacut so I ordered one of those Jackstone knives tonight. Just curious what would you carry in the woods to sharpen/touch up this knife elk hunting?

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been looking for a decent knife in Magnacut so I ordered one of those Jackstone knives tonight. Just curious what would you carry in the woods to sharpen/touch up this knife elk hunting?
I have carried a SpiderCo Double Stuff for several years and used it on everything to include S90V (and to completely reset the shoulders on a friends D2 fixed blade that was embarrassingly dull, granted we spend a lot of time on the boat, so I had time to kill, probable took about an hour). So, it is all I have to recommend. Rubbed some green honing compound into the leather pouch. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/303MF/Double-Stuff-trade-/87

Currently it looks like they can be found for $60.

Afhunter1

WKR
I have carried a SpiderCo Double Stuff for several years and used it on everything to include S90V (and to completely reset the shoulders on a friends D2 fixed blade that was embarrassingly dull, granted we spend a lot of time on the boat, so I had time to kill, probable took about an hour). So, it is all I have to recommend. Rubbed some green honing compound into the leather pouch. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/303MF/Double-Stuff-trade-/87

Currently it looks like they can be found for $60.
Thank you, I’ll have to pick one of them up over the next couple weeks. Looks like a nice set

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you, I’ll have to pick one of them up over the next couple weeks. Looks like a nice set
Congrats on a nice knife by the way. I have really been enjoying mine.

Afhunter1

WKR
Congrats on a nice knife by the way. I have really been enjoying mine.
Thanks, this thread talked me into it. Ha ha. Last year I bought a BM altitude but I’ve been reading so much bad about them I might put it up for sale. I think this will be a much better knife for all around hunting. Now I just need to kill something so I can use it.