Montana Elk Hunting - Advice for a new Hunter

Find areas 2 miles by 2 miles or bigger with no roads. You can hunt all the way in and out and those elk will likely be held up right in the middle.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Frankly, some of you come across as a bunch of self righteous ass hats. I expected a lot more from a hunting forum. This isn't Facebook, after all.
This is the western hunter's way, you're already on the path of figuring that out. I have an internet buddy that I've "known" and talked to for 15+ years who is a BLM biologist in Montana, still have a hard time getting even a finger pointed in the right direction from him lol, (which is fine, he owes me nothing and I expect nothing).

Good luck on your hunt!

I love it when they start insulting the people they've asked for help. :)
But to be fair that usually doesn’t happen until there have been several sarcastic wise ass comments.

Do you not think this guys sounds like a nice enough dude! He’s polite. Not lazy. In my opinion some people on here have no clue what pieces of information it’s ok to share. They’re just jumping in with the click of guys who only have one thing to say: Don’t ask! That or “Don’t tell him”.

The west is huge. There are pieces of general information that are ok to pass on that simply get a new hunter pointed in the right direction. Don’t forget people… at some point in time someone helped all of us. If you have become a consistently successful elk hunter what are you afraid of? Surely you have some old spots you learned along the way that you could pass on to someone who filled your rookie shoes. I’ve been screwed a few times by telling someone my spots. Some people don’t realize how sacred that is and think it’s ok to bring a friend, who brings 2 friends. But to say something like…”Feel free to look around in the Bitterroot. No grizzlies” shouldn’t be a problem. The word Bitterroot encompasses a huge area made up of many units. It’s diverse. Everything from way too much private land to wilderness. It narrows things down a bit… but it’s still almost like saying “Try Montana”

Maybe I’m a fool but why can’t we all just get along here? I can’t understand arrogance. It’s childish. Woops I hope I didn’t insult anyone. Lol

Last edited:
This is the western hunter's way, you're already on the path of figuring that out. I have an internet buddy that I've "known" and talked to for 15+ years who is a BLM biologist in Montana, still have a hard time getting even a finger pointed in the right direction from him lol, (which is fine, he owes me nothing and I expect nothing).

Good luck on your hunt!
I have friends that are biologists in Montana and Wyoming. First… they aren’t hunters. SECOND…. Jesus! We all talk about spot burning and mentioning specific units. A biologist telling people where to hunt would be just that. Worse! You have to know how to talk to those guys. Speak their language. You’re looking for elk? Maybe instead of asking where they are ask things like what is their preferred habitat during late fall and what elevations do I normally find that? Big difference.

You can get some good info from a biologist but it’s like playing chess. Well thought out questions and pay attention to every word. If you see an opening to ask a more specific question then go ahead. I’m to the point where a biologist calls me once in awhile and it’s still not easy! Good luck!

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
I have friends that are biologists in Montana and Wyoming. First… they aren’t hunters. SECOND…. Jesus! We all talk about spot burning and mentioning specific units. A biologist telling people where to hunt would be just that. Worse! You have to know how to talk to those guys. Speak their language. You’re looking for elk? Maybe instead of asking where they are ask things like what is their preferred habitat during late fall and what elevations do I normally find that? Big difference.

You can get some good info from a biologist but it’s like playing chess. Well thought out questions and pay attention to every word. If you see an opening to ask a more specific question then go ahead. I’m to the point where a biologist calls me once in awhile and it’s still not easy! Good luck!
Nah this guy is as hunter as they come, and a great dude to be sure! We met in the trad bow building world and have helped each other plenty since. And ive never just said "hey where's the elk?" to him, i have approached with some specific questions as everyone always says to do. All i was getting at is the western hunters are more reluctant to help anyone out than any group ive ever met and thats just the way it is.

Nah this guy is as hunter as they come, and a great dude to be sure! We met in the trad bow building world and have helped each other plenty since. And ive never just said "hey where's the elk?" to him, i have approached with some specific questions as everyone always says to do. All i was getting at is the western hunters are more reluctant to help anyone out than any group ive ever met and thats just the way it is.
Totally agree. Having an army show up in my state for hunting season would be frustrating. But in my experience they can never out hunt the guys that truly have our shit together. The 10% who are killing 90% of the elk. Residents and non res hunters who hunt the same place every year know where the other hunters come from. It’s not to hard to predict where they will hunt either. I spike camp on weekends to avoid locals who can only hunt weekends. Weekend warriors. How funny is that a non res hunter seeing things the same way as a local hunter. The locals who camp at my trailhead know me. 99% of the people I run into including in town are cool. It’s nothing like here on the internet!

As far as biologists, some do hunt. I know one who loves to hunt grouse with his bird dog. He hunts the high country were elk are because there are a lot of mountain grouse. He sees elk. But he doesn’t get excited about him as we do. To him they’re just another animal on the landscape. I try to put myself in their shoes. they know what we want right? But I think they also feel a sense of responsibility to not tell everyone where they think a good places to go kill one. That’s understandable.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
OIP.xFHVYei0Ons20TEJTFKDMwAAAA

OP
B
That were completely deserved. The guy has spent more time in the Montana elk woods than me and I've had 3 tags there. How can you possibly help someone that can't help themselves?

You seem to be one of the more combative people on this thread so I will try to respond directly to you. What's perhaps worst than someone who feels the need to make sarcastic, unnecessary comments on another person's thread instead of simply moving on is someone who continues to revisit that thread just to continue with their unhelpful, patronizing comments. Point taken, you think my request is unjustified. Fair, move on.

I have spent a lot of time camping and backpacking in Montana (as well as Washington state where I lived for several years). I have not hunted elk there before. Those are obviously very different things. When I was hiking, I wasn't concerned with elk behavior. I had no concept of where they bed or what elevations they hung out at in different seasons. I never picked where I was going to set up camp based off of where there were elk. This isn't a matter of not being able to help myself. I have spent hours researching, reading through past posts, and asking everyone I know that might have a small nugget of information and advice they can give. I currently have 2 scouting trips scheduled. But since I am new to hunting, I thought what better place to ask for guidance than a forum that is essentially a collective of hunters. I didn't realize I would have people, like you, jump at the opportunity to stir up drama and continue to check back as if you don't have something better to do.

That were completely deserved. The guy has spent more time in the Montana elk woods than me and I've had 3 tags there. How can you possibly help someone that can't help themselves?
He’s working on it. But I have to say…. I read threads from rookies. Every once in awhile they say something that I haven’t thought of. I keep an open mind. We are always learning something. Unless you’re close minded.

You seem to be one of the more combative people on this thread so I will try to respond directly to you. What's perhaps worst than someone who feels the need to make sarcastic, unnecessary comments on another person's thread instead of simply moving on is someone who continues to revisit that thread just to continue with their unhelpful, patronizing comments. Point taken, you think my request is unjustified. Fair, move on.

I have spent a lot of time camping and backpacking in Montana (as well as Washington state where I lived for several years). I have not hunted elk there before. Those are obviously very different things. When I was hiking, I wasn't concerned with elk behavior. I had no concept of where they bed or what elevations they hung out at in different seasons. I never picked where I was going to set up camp based off of where there were elk. This isn't a matter of not being able to help myself. I have spent hours researching, reading through past posts, and asking everyone I know that might have a small nugget of information and advice they can give. I currently have 2 scouting trips scheduled. But since I am new to hunting, I thought what better place to ask for guidance than a forum that is essentially a collective of hunters. I didn't realize I would have people, like you, jump at the opportunity to stir up drama and continue to check back as if you don't have something better to do.

I haven't been combative, a word that would imply violence and anger. I have been poking fun, and mocking, from a state of disbelief. I probably shouldn't be shocked anymore since this same thread has played out many many times over the years, the frequency ever increasing. If you were a member here for any time at all you would know that.

It is my personal belief that if you really want to kill an elk, you will, and if you don't, then no amount of help can make it happen. So it's a sort of self-selecting attribute that makes threads like these a waste of time. Does that make sense?

If you have taken any amount of personal offense to anything posted in this thread then I would surmise you won't be elk hunting for very long. If you have been motivated by this thread to prove us all wrong, then I'd bet you will! :) It's all up to you bub. We're all sincerely rooting for you to get out there, get your ass kicked, overcome, and be successful, even if and especially if it takes several years. Because then you'll know.

87TT

WKR
If you have spent "hours" reading posts and researching, haven't you seen any of these kinds of threads? Seriously? In the beginning I gave you my best new guy response. But sometimes good advice falls on deaf ears. After you have been on here awhile (and I hope you stay) you will maybe understand it. After you hunt elk awhile you will understand it. They are not easy. The idea that you can find an easy access location with an expectation of taking a decent bull is pure humor. Don't be surprised if we take it that way.

gtriple

WKR
I would really love some advice on the best location to set up.

Now I completely understand that someone wouldn't want to give up their prized hunting spots. I am really just hopeful that someone could share some advice on areas that would be welcoming to a first time elk hunter. Lower grizz density, lower hunting pressure. I don't need to bag an record size, enormous bull. My hope is the camp fairly close to the truck and do day hikes out with a light pack.
"I don't want your prized hunting spots but tell me where I can kill an elk with the very least effort involved. Don't worry, I won't shoot a record-sized bull on my first ever elk hunt."

giphy.gif

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I'm gonna jump in here-

OP, your new. Calling names won't win you over many folks. At the same time, as @Indian Summer stated, we all started somewhere.
To those that are sick and tired of these threads, move on and leave it alone. To those that offer solid advice, I'm sure it's appreciated, as it was for me at one time as well.

If you all see the same thing below as I do, it's a thread very similar to this one. It was a FNG who posted unit numbers. I took out the unit numbers. Take a look-he joined, made 2 comments and never returned. This is why we don't allow unit numbers anymore.