Montana Elk Tag

bloatmar

FNG
First time hunting in Montana and I received my tag today. I was completely surprised when I opened the envelope to find an actual paper tag and not a plastic one. Is that common for Montana? I plan on laminating it for sure but my goodness I could not believe it.

First time hunting in Montana and I received my tag today. I was completely surprised when I opened the envelope to find an actual paper tag and not a plastic one. Is that common for Montana? I plan on laminating it for sure but my goodness I could not believe it.
No, not common at all. It actually means you are one of the coveted winners of the elusive paper tag.... congratulations! It means you can literally hunt any unit in Montana that has a General hunting season! You lucky dog!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure that tag is a fake you must have applied on the wrong website and got scammed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very funny all. Just used to getting a plastic tag like they do in Colorado and Texas and well any other state I have hunted or fished in.

The big surprise lots of hunters get is when they look at a Montana license and read the dates it’s valid for. They don’t include archery even though it’s good for bow and gun. After being asked that question for over 20 years you’d think they add that. Oh wait it’s Montana they gotta leave you guessing.

The big surprise lots of hunters get is when they look at a Montana license and read the dates it’s valid for. They don’t include archery even though it’s good for bow and gun. After being asked that question for over 20 years you’d think they add that. Oh wait it’s Montana they gotta leave you guessing.
I was thinking the same thing, the date says it's only valid during the gun season. I would imagine they get lots of calls from first time license holders wondering if they can archery hunt. Seems like such a simple change to make.

When I bought my resident tag this year i was given the option of having it printed on waterproof paper. Turns out the option is provided by the vender not fwp.

I'm waiting for them to force us to have only the cell phone option for tags. Another bright idea by fwp that I would rather avoid. Just another opportunity for them to screw up.

When I bought my resident tag this year i was given the option of having it printed on waterproof paper. Turns out the option is provided by the vender not fwp.

I'm waiting for them to force us to have only the cell phone option for tags. Another bright idea by fwp that I would rather avoid. Just another opportunity for them to screw up.
The guy who works the license counter at Rocky Mountain Supply told me they're going to 100% e tags by 2025 when I went in for my B tag the other day

For $1000 they can't spring for Tyvek? We called and asked if we could photocopy on to Tyvek....hard no.
I cut mine apart and put clear packing tape on both sides.

From what I have been told, MT FWP is replacing all of their printing systems and the project is taking longer than expected. The regular paper tags are temporary and they expect the hunter to carry a plastic sandwich type bag to put the tag in after validating, before attaching to the animal. I was told that by next season, the new system should be up and running. This is the same process as last year.

When Oregon made the switch i believe they they claimed a 3.5 million savings per year on the special printers and paper.
So I wouldn't hold my breath for a switch back.

Back