Montana general elk

Looking to go to montana if I draw a general tag may have to go solo any help from experienced guys would be much appreciated

OP
Bdubwright23
Have you ever been elk hunting? If not a drop camp is an affordable way to start. Some are REALLY worth the $
Never been elk hunting wasn't really wanting to spend the money on a drop camp but have been thinking about it if I can't get anyone to go

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Is traveling out in the off season i.e. late spring early summer an option for you? If it's at all possible I'd plan a camping trip early summer, do some hiking and get familiar with the territory. It's fun and camping is relatively cheap, plus hiking will help you get in shape for the terrain. It'll definitely go a long ways as far as the learning curve when you do hit the ground during season.

Never been elk hunting wasn't really wanting to spend the money on a drop camp but have been thinking about it if I can't get anyone to go
I can’t speak for all drop camps, but for the outfitter I worked for the $1500 he charged was worth every penny. I’d say it greatly increases your chance of success and at least enjoyment.

Is traveling out in the off season i.e. late spring early summer an option for you? If it's at all possible I'd plan a camping trip early summer, do some hiking and get familiar with the territory. It's fun and camping is relatively cheap, plus hiking will help you get in shape for the terrain. It'll definitely go a long ways as far as the learning curve when you do hit the ground during season.
Careful! You wont get up any mountain roads in the spring. Spring in the rockies goes into June. If I was going to do a scouting trip I’d hold off until July or later. Not only to let snow melt but to let water levels in streams come down and animals disperse to where you can expect to find them in the fall.

Looking to go to montana if I draw a general tag may have to go solo any help from experienced guys would be much appreciated
The experience is worth it whether you kill or not! I go solo all the time and never physically scout unless its a few days before season and usually just in season as I live too far away. Details have been the key to my success. I have a detailed plan ahead of the hunt. All kinds of resources out there on how to E scout from home and choose a unit and areas. Its never been easier with today's technology and information. It is a process that requires work. Its up to you.

Be aware killing an Elk is nothing like killing a deer. If you are solo you had better be very aware of where you are and where you go to kill an elk. Packing an Elk out solo from a deep hell hole will make you never want to Elk hunt again. During Elk season it can be very difficult to find anyone with horses to help you pack out. Knowing the trails where you plan to hunt ahead of time could be very critical.

fatlander

WKR
Pick a unit, pick some likely spots and go check it out! Be in great shape and enjoy the ride. The first trip will help you get your bearings. If you kill an elk you’re way ahead of the curve. Some parts of the state have a lot of grizzlies, not sure how familiar you are with camping in that type of environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bz_711

WKR
Having a solid plan for when you have an elk down in a MUST! I've been lucky to always have help when I've tagged out...and now I'm sure I could handle by myself...but if I would have been solo on the first elk, it would have been overwhelming.

Good Luck - and don't forget to have fun, take pics, and soak it all in.
Share your story when you get back.

OP
Bdubwright23
Appreciate the info that's my only concern is getting the elk out if I'm successful

Shrek

WKR
How do you pack an elk out solo...one load at a time. Fortunately Montana rifle is pretty late so weather is generally cooler. You will have a couple of days to get the meat out if you get it off the bone and cooled. As was stated earlier be in the best shape you can be. It’s not a race but a long forced march. Don’t burn your legs and you can go nearly forever but get in a hurry and wreck your legs and it will be days before you recover. Study the gutless cleaning method. This is all just in case you get stupid lucky and actually kill an elk on your first try. I’d pick a unit with lots of public land and either sex is legal. I’ll break elk down to the simplest for you. Like any other prey animals they need food , water , and cover. If it’s warm they’re going to most likely be on a north slope with dark timber in the day. If it’s cold ( I mean really cold ) they’re going to be on a south slope out of the wind where they can catch some sun. Elk are grazers not browsers so they’re going to be near grass. Elk are where elk are. Might be 300 yards from the busy trailhead or five miles back. Where’s the best spots to look ? Where does your minds say it doesn’t want to go ? That nasty , too steep , too rough spot that you want to hike around not into is where elk like to bed. That’s just a few thoughts.

Pghhunter

FNG
Following.

Looking at Montana as well. Probably will be solo.

Not sure if it would be rifle or bow. Looking for opportunity. Just want the best opportunity to put my hands on an elk whether it be a bull or cow. Want to pop my elk cherry after eating some tag soup the last two seasons (CO drop camp and WY cow hunt).

Montana is a great state for elk hunting. Great Elk numbers but do your research and try to find a zone that has more Elk than Orange. I would recommend applying for a cow tag also as an insurance marker.....

OP
Bdubwright23
Following.

Looking at Montana as well. Probably will be solo.

Not sure if it would be rifle or bow. Looking for opportunity. Just want the best opportunity to put my hands on an elk whether it be a bull or cow. Want to pop my elk cherry after eating some tag soup the last two seasons (CO drop camp and WY cow hunt).
Just bid my vacation today gonna be the September 7the throught the 12th for me

Season doesn’t open until 1st Saturday in September. That works for you this year but something to keep in mind.

OP
Bdubwright23
Yea I checked all that out before hand if I don't get a tag I'll head to Colorado over the counter

Personally if I were you I would start with Colorado. You are going to get more opportunities at elk and you can go back to same spot year after year to learn.