Montana nonresident

maine

FNG
I’m moving from Maine to Montana for a year in late may. Most of the drawing deadlines are due in april. Will I have to pay as a nonresident when I apply, even though I will be a resident by the time I go hunting in August?

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
From page 14 of the regs:

Resident (MCA 87-2-102)• To be a lawful Montana resident and eligible to purchase any Montana resident fishing, hunting, and trapping licenses, you must:– have been physically living in Montana for at least 180 consecutive days immediately prior to purchasing a resident license;– register your vehicle(s) in Montana;– be registered to vote in Montana if you’re registered to vote at all;– not possess (or have applied for any)current resident hunting, fishing, or trapping privileges in another state or country;– file Montana state income tax returns as a resident, if you are required to file.– Once you have established your residency, you must continue to meet all these requirements and physically reside in Montana as your principal or primary place of abode for not less than 120 days per year (days need not be consecutive).– A person is NOT considered a resident for the purposes of this section if the person:> claims residence in any other state or country for any purpose; or> is an absentee property owner paying property tax on property in Montana.

Legend

WKR
Pretty sure it takes 6 months to establish residency. Might want to double check that. So most of the general seasons will be ending before you are allowed to buy a resident tag.