Montana Snow line question.

Hey guys,

We are heading out the 11th, group of us from North Carolina and Virginia on our first spring black bear hunt. Have hunted eastern black bears before and decided to try something different. We decided on trying the Superior/St. Regis area and was wondering if anyone would give some insight as to how the snow pack is looking this year and what elevation the snow line has made it down to so far? Also how has the bear activity been up to this point?

Have learned a lot from reading the various post here and am excited to get out and do some hiking and glassing in beautiful country. This is a trip I have wanted to do for several years now. Glad to finally pull the trigger on it.

Are you part of the group who messaged me?

Check out snotel for snow info, it is different all over this year more than most.

No, that wasn’t me. I looked at snotel, new to that, do the elevations translate across the different areas? Closest site I could find was quite a bit south of the area we are heading.

Your probably seeing Hoodoo pass. That will be a decent indicator where your hunting as a general idea of snow line, but keep in mind south facing vs north.

I asked because another group of fellas from the dirty south will be in same area. Good luck and check back in how you did.

The closest Snotel is Hoodoo. Which is a major snowbelt and would over represent the favorable aspects. That area of MT is very under represented with sites. The next closest site to the N is on the E side of the Cabinets.

My son literally just walked in the door after driving to a pass in your area at 5500. You can easily walk to 6k on S and W slopes.

Awesome, I appreciate all the insights. Like I said I’m excited to go hunt a different part of the country, seeing a bear would be epic, getting a shot at one would just be a bonus.

Has the season been productive for anyone yet?

Also look at sentinel hub. Not great imagery but gives you an idea where the snow is at. Not much in the mountains this year

Hey guys,

We are heading out the 11th, group of us from North Carolina and Virginia on our first spring black bear hunt. Have hunted eastern black bears before and decided to try something different. We decided on trying the Superior/St. Regis area and was wondering if anyone would give some insight as to how the snow pack is looking this year and what elevation the snow line has made it down to so far? Also how has the bear activity been up to this point?

Have learned a lot from reading the various post here and am excited to get out and do some hiking and glassing in beautiful country. This is a trip I have wanted to do for several years now. Glad to finally pull the trigger on it.
Message me! I’ll be hunting the same area. From Alabama.. go out every spring

one thing to keep in mind, is the cooler creek bottoms will hold snow, and as you gain elevation and gain access to the sun, you will loose snow. ie come around the corner and a big snow bank and then miles of dirt road.
hoodoo pass is not usually driveable until the 4th of july. gold pass is usually mid june. But this year, being the worst winter ever, who knows, it just did not snow much last winter, but mother nature has given us a cool spring.

Back