Montana Spring bear

suda0402

FNG
Anyone know where the snow level is on the Westside? Around Flat Head?

Thanks!
I was just up in Libby for work and there is a lot of snow up high, but it was all gone down low. It was in the 80's when we were there and they are forecasted to rain the next few days that will do some damage to the snow.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it really varies, much of the lower elevation stuff is completely clear of snow, mid to upper elevation stuff varies by aspect- north/east facing much slower losing snow, south/west- much quicker

check a few sites close by, look at the elevation and aspect and then you can make at least a reasonable assumption on the area you're looking to visit

we've has a week long "heat wave", but it comes to end today and we'll be back to more normal temps and will slow the melt

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/porta...sociations=true&lat=40.01&lon=-99.01&zoom=4.0

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m out here now and some of the roads around 6400 in the forest are dicey for a full size rig

I came up empty handed. Didn’t even see a bear. I hunted around the Missoula area. Weather was great but seemed a little hot. Maybe next time I’ll bring a fly rod cause that would have been time better spent lol

slowelk

WKR
I came up empty handed. Didn’t even see a bear. I hunted around the Missoula area. Weather was great but seemed a little hot. Maybe next time I’ll bring a fly rod cause that would have been time better spent lol

It's been slow in the Missoula area, I agree. Friends who have been out in a variety of areas around Missoula have felt the same.

A fly rod would do you little good with the amount of runoff in the streams lately.

OP
wilterdink54
It's been slow in the Missoula area, I agree. Friends who have been out in a variety of areas around Missoula have felt the same.

A fly rod would do you little good with the amount of runoff in the streams lately.

Do you guys think this coming week with the cooler weather might get better? I am leaving for Missoula on Saturday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
Do you guys think this coming week with the cooler weather might get better? I am leaving for Missoula on Saturday morning.

Next week has historically been my most productive week of spring bear. Temps do look cooler than this weekend, but still basically average for the season.

OP
wilterdink54
How’d y’all do?

We saw a 4 bears in the Missoula area. A sow and a cub, a boar and another that was a quick flash. We should have gone after the boar immediately, but we watched him for a bit and then he was gone. We also glassed him almost 2mi away. Then some guys came in hunting with dogs so we decided to go check out another spot I found and unfortunately never saw another bear. Had a ton of fun though, I will be back.

ronebones

FNG
We went out Libby area may 11-15, right during that major heatwave. Didn't see any bears out on sunny south-facing slopes, probably because it was mid to upper 80s all week and the sun shining on us was unbearable. Ended up seeing 3 bears, didn't get any shots. All were way down low elevation and in thicker cover, staying where it was cooler I think.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely an odd ball Spring in Montana. We went from near to above normal snowpack across most of the state to near zero snowpack in a matter of 3 weeks. I've lived here 45 years and this was easily the quickest I've seen our snowpack go :(

OP
wilterdink54
Definitely an odd ball Spring in Montana. We went from near to above normal snowpack across most of the state to near zero snowpack in a matter of 3 weeks. I've lived here 45 years and this was easily the quickest I've seen our snowpack go :(

Interesting, so what does that do to the bear behavior?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it opens up a lot more real estate for them to roam, which makes it harder to pinpoint a good location. With a normal snowpack year you can rule out a lot of country in a hurry and concentrate on south/west facing slopes, when there is no (or little snow) it's very possible they may be avoiding those aspects much of the day.

I spent two 3 day trips (central Montana) hiking and glassing pretty hard and I never saw a single bear. It's not an area where I would expect to see a lot bears, but would certainly expect to see a few bears.

It would be interesting to see the harvest numbers stack up this Spring, based on what I've heard via the grapevine, harvest was pretty low.

I think it opens up a lot more real estate for them to roam, which makes it harder to pinpoint a good location. With a normal snowpack year you can rule out a lot of country in a hurry and concentrate on south/west facing slopes, when there is no (or little snow) it's very possible they may be avoiding those aspects much of the day.

I spent two 3 day trips (central Montana) hiking and glassing pretty hard and I never saw a single bear. It's not an area where I would expect to see a lot bears, but would certainly expect to see a few bears.

It would be interesting to see the harvest numbers stack up this Spring, based on what I've heard via the grapevine, harvest was pretty low.
It was certainly my observation as well. We hunted in an area rife with elk, should they want calves. Plenty of water, plenty of greening material to munch on. We only saw one bear and no a single piece of scat.

nick21

FNG
That’s for the tips. That being said, do you think late May is a good time to go? I have got mixed reviews on that, obviously opinions differ a lot, but some things I have read say things get really tough later in the season because they are so scattered and other things I have read claim it’s way easier to find them late in the season.

It's tough, We live in Montana. First year we are trying for a spring bear. Finding information, or evening a staring point can be tough. We've been reading a ton online and watching some e-scouting videos. Pretty helpful. Narrowing down areas that seem to be conducive to spring bear habits.
Good luck!!

nick21

FNG
I have never hunted Montanan, however here in AZ bears don’t seem to mind people at all. Some of my best bear spots are freakishly close to people, roads and hiking trails. Find food and water where they feel safe and they do not seem to care how many cars or people come close to them. At least that has been my experience. Keep in mind I said people not hunters.
Wherever there is easy feed and water, I would imagine. Just south of helena mt. There is always a handful of them terrorizing homes. Garbage, dog food, feed for livestock, etc...
Once they have zeroed in on it, they keep coming back.