Montana unlimited bighorn?

I'm following this and would love an update. I live in vernal Utah and want to start doing this annually. Now I just need to find a sucker.... Errr buddy to go with.

Our district is still open. Most of them are. Which tells me the sheep are not really moving to their winter grounds yet and are still scattered. We found a handful of ewes and lambs and against our better judgement, are planning to wait until the rut gets a bit closer. It's a gamble. Weather could shut us out any day up there or the quota could fill. Just a bit longer.....my snowshoes are ready!!

Hopefully all the other sheep tag holders have used up all their time off at work. :)

Spend some time and read Duncan Gilchrist's Montana: Land of Giant Rams Volume III. He has a chapter dedicated to the unlimited areas. The whole book is worth the read. It took me a day to read it (couldn't put it down). He will explain each individual herd of sheep in MT, and how they came to be, why some units consistently produce good rams and what it takes to grow a "super ram". It has a lot of good info on scoring sheep (especially in MT). I learned a lot from just that book alone. I've read almost every forum/article ever put out about the area. I'm moving there in a month and will spend the next 10 years hunting one of those units if I have to. Every useful piece of literature on those units says that Rams are in the timber, making them harder to hunt. There's a lot that goes into that hunt, water is hard to find up there if you're spending any amount of time. obviously terrain and weather are tough. Good luck to you.. I plan on spending a fair amount of time in 300 scouting and getting the lay of the land over the summer. I've poured over topo maps and am tweaking my gear. Hopefully next season will be the lucky one!

Looks like it was a big weekend in 500 and 502. Hope it was some fellow RS members who got amongst them.wonder if 501 will fill as well?
RS

Back