Moose sleep system

mnydir

FNG
So here's my situation. I'm going on a guided Alaskan moose hunt in unit 20, 2nd and 3rd week of September. I don't do backpack hunting normally but for this hunt I need to supply my own sleep system. I want to keep tent, pad and bag under $600. I need to keep weight down somewhat as we're hiking to spike camp. What would be a good combination for around $600 and hopefully under 10lbs? Also I'm guessing a 0 degree bag would be best?

sneaky

"DADDY"
That $600 limit with all you're looking for is going to be tough. The pad you can find reasonably cheap, but the tent and bag is going to be tougher to come up with at that range unless you buy used.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
I highly recommend you test what you get before you go.

a cheap pad can be had but it may not be comfortable. same with a tent. and if the tent fails you .....

Jimbob

WKR
Purchase used high-end gear here then sell after your hunt, you will not lose much money. You want to be comfortable on this awesome hunt so don't cheap out.

If I was hiking in and staying for two weeks in one spot in mid to late September then I would pack a tipi and stove for sure. Something like the Sawtooth or Cimarron and a stove then you have an awesome spot to dry clothes out and recharge for the next day.

Add a quality down sleeping bag and pad and you have an awesome sleep system.

Good luck.

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
Yes we're sitting on a ridge top.
The guide just uses tarps. I think I'd like a tent a lot better.
20a

Trial153

WKR
You should be able to swing it for 600. The post above is a great example....

sneaky

"DADDY"
Buy this tent: https://www.rei.com/product/110817/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-1-tent

And this Bag: https://www.rei.com/product/148248/...MIjcLkxeWt4QIVqx-tBh3nugM0EAQYASABEgLIbPD_BwE

Order each separately and apply the 20% off coupon, Buy the best pad you can afford with the left over monies. Ive used both items and for there price I think they are great bargains.
The 20% off only works on one full price item, and only if the OP is an REI member. If he finds something in the outlet he can get 20% off that as well, but not on 2 full price items. He would be better off checking Campsaver.com which has a bunch of brands on sale right now, or Backcountry.com which has a 20% promotion going right now.

duchntr

WKR
The 20% off only works on one full price item, and only if the OP is an REI member. If he finds something in the outlet he can get 20% off that as well, but not on 2 full price items. He would be better off checking Campsaver.com which has a bunch of brands on sale right now, or Backcountry.com which has a 20% promotion going right now.

Worked for me

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Where I live the September moose season can be very wet and rainy, not terribly cold though. I’ve used a 20 degree kifaru slick bag for the past few seasons and it’s been fine. You might check out some of the 1 person tents from MSR, I think they have some for around too bucks. You may be glad with the investment if you add a bit to the $$$ you can spend, last year after cutting up and packing out our moose, it was 3am, raining and we were soaked, I was glad to get back to a dry bag and the Hilleberg 4 man tent me and my buddy were sharing.

VernAK

WKR
I've experienced -20F and 60 mph winds in GMU 20A in mid September. It's not the norm but it does happen. The last few years, our fall has been warmer and that can screw up moose hunting. A tarp can work if you tuck down into the willows or spruce. The Sawtooth is about perfect for your needs.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you are wanting to keep that budget.... but I would buy a tent with the worst weather in mind, not one hoping it doesn't get bad.
9852eab47ce3c61f858a2113d057dc82.jpg

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
So is the biggest difference between something like the copper spur or hubba hubba hubba vs the frying pan just mostly weight?