Mountain House Farts

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Back Country Diarrhea is most often caused by poor hygiene and vitamin deficiency. . . Hand to mouth contamination is what causes most diarrhea especially from fecal matter. Wash more and take a daily vitamin supplement. The longer you are in the back country the more likely you are to let good hygiene go.

without getting too technical/gross:

the bubble guts were just the cramps. they were solids

I ate a backpackers pantry or Alpine Aire chicken vindaloo Thursday night. It got real windy for next two days and eaxh one smelled almost exactly the same as it did coming out of the bag. Nothing else I ate in 9 days did that to me.

Had the same (and worse)experience with that Chicken Vindaloo two weeks ago! I won't touch the stuff again.

My issues were using water that was boiled, after being treated with a Steri-pen. No issues other than that one meal and the lingering effects into lunchtime the next day. I am pretty sure the meal was the culprit, as the same water was used by other guys with no problems, and it looked exactly the same the next day as when I ate it. (I know, TMI, Sorry!)

There's something in them that messes with me for sure. After 4-5days my body seems to get used to them. There was another brand since out of business that was 5 times worse for me.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Loll i thought about starting this same thread after my 4 days trip last week. Beef stroganoff has always been the worst. I eat this one on the last day. This year day 1 was pasta primivaera with a packet of tuna. best meal of the trip, no gas. Day 2 was chicken and noodles. also pretty good couple toots. day 3 chili mac. good taste but the gas in full force. Day 4 was stroganoff and the gas was getting ouuta hand. This was a solo trip. The farts didnt get ripe intill the strognaoff. Before then it was just neutral gas. Something about dropping a deuce after that, its just a different kind of smell that makes me question my choices everytime.

Last edited:

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
LMAO!! You fellas crack me up. Usually the first day I'm squirting around! Must be the change in diet! Lol

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
To the original poster.

First-be sure you are man-scaping properly (see Aaron's manscape post for a how to video). Removal of all body hair will ensure these farts do not cling to the person. The body hair could cause the aroma to linger longer and in rare cases the MH farts might cause hair-borne spontaneous combustion-nasty stuff to be sure.

I say rather looking for a way out- use these farts to your advantage. If farting in warmer weather you could leave the Thermacell at home as I feel sure these gas passes would keep most biting insects at bay. Conversely, if you are blowing these butt clappers in cold weather you could utilize the warm air from the mini explosions to combat heat loss from the cold weather in the sleeping bag and if wearing properly insulated pants these poots might be just the extra shot of heat needed to stay comfy.

But if you do want to keep the butt music at bay I would recommend gas-x or an equivalent a day before you partake of a MH meal.

OP
Josey Wales
I ate a backpackers pantry or Alpine Aire chicken vindaloo Thursday night. It got real windy for next two days and eaxh one smelled almost exactly the same as it did coming out of the bag. Nothing else I ate in 9 days did that to me. When I say it got windy I mean seriously, like I almost used some chapstick...

When I first read this, I didn't get it...it took me a minute to realize you were talking about a wind out of the south. Strong thermals in that area...

I'll never look at chapstick the same way again.

OP
Josey Wales
It sounds like a dehydrator is now on my list of necessary hunting equipment. And extra chapstick and wipes. And gas-x. No gummi worms.

If Wilderness Athlete or Mtn Ops reads this, they are gonna make another fortune off of us.

My wife just found out she is allergic to gluten, soy, and a whole list of man made stuff used in our common and shelf life packed foods. I imagine some of you guys share that intolerance to some degree.

I said it before but, I'll say it one ore time. WISE foods are now making freeze dried backpacking meal packs. They are EXCELLENT in taste and on the GI tract. God Bless

Y'all are abunch of Nancy's. I love MH, could eat it at home. Beef stroganoff is my favorite. I eat a fiber one bar everyday in the back country and that makes me pretty regular. I will say that it does require a little more toilet paper than normal.

wildcat33

WKR
Y'all are abunch of Nancy's. I love MH, could eat it at home. Beef stroganoff is my favorite. I eat a fiber one bar everyday in the back country and that makes me pretty regular. I will say that it does require a little more toilet paper than normal.

They breed em tough up north, Ill say that. I get the sharts just thinking about beef stroganoff.

I think someone should put together a list of the new MH alternatives. Seems like everyweek there is a new one coming out, but all you see in box stores are MH and Backpackers Pantry (which is worse in my opinion).

I'm so confused as to why you guys eat that stuff. I've been backpacking and hunting since i was 12 and have eaten like 3 MH meals my entire life. Get over it.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Three years ago I did an backcountry hunt and ate nothing but MH for suppers; chili mac gave me horrible gas as well. This year I tried Heather's Choice and Paleo Meals to Go meals. While the Heather's Choice meals are tasty as hell, my stomach/bowels didn't like them as much as the taste buds. HC gave me bad gas and more than doubled my usual number of daily BMs. Her meals taste great but for some reason I couldn't tolerate them very well; and I am a spicy food guy. The Paleo Meals to Go meals on the other hand were the ticket; Mountain Beef Stew, Canyon Chicken Chili, Summit Savory Chicken, Bedrock Beef Chili. They taste good, aren't as spicy as HC, and once I switched to them my bowels settled back down to normal. The disadvantage of the PMTG meals vs HC to me would be the lack of calories; the PMTG seem to average about 290-320cal/meal and the HC about 200cal more/meal. To help supplement this I add a serving (1/4c dry) of Idahoan instant potatoes to the bag before rehydrating and then add a little extra water. Also, a HC packaroon for dessert helps get the cals and fat (good fats) up as well. PMTG is a Colorado company and I get them on Amazon w/ Prime shipping is free.

Man it sounds like it would be rough to share a tent with some of you guys.
I wonder if a guys typical diet the rest of the year plays a role in how a MH affects him?

I must have an iron gut...I love the MH Chili Mac and beef stroganoff. I had a Chicken Teriyaki at home a few weeks ago because I didn't feel like cooking.

But I've usually got some fairly rotten farts on a regular basis. Sometimes, it smells like a javelina died and laid on the scorching NM highway for about 3 days and THEN crawled into my gut for another day or two before I release the flatulence.