MT Opener.......

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I will be heading west on the 9th it's supposed to be in the mid 70's by then

BDRam16

WKR
Curious what elevation that is at? Where we’re going in another state it’s 40* today.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Curious what elevation that is at? Where we’re going in another state it’s 40* today.
That is for the majority of Montana but specifically Helena at 4300. It'll be cooler at 8000 but it's still going to be hot. Another state will likely be different.

September-- hot during the day -- cold at night. It was 32 this morning. Plan accordingly.
Yep, at 8500 ft Saturday night it was quite cold indeed. By morning my 12 degree bag was fully zipped and I was just at the comfort level. That said, daytime was also in the upper 70's in the valleys, but did reinforce the notion of always being prepared.

seww

WKR
We're seeing record high temperatures here in Eastern Idaho this week.
Not fun...

aslatts14

FNG
Looks like the weather is going to cool off next week. I hope at elevation it will be perfect. Good Luck to everyone!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Man the weather looks like the opener of deer season here in Southern California. Good luck to everyone heading out. Drink lots of water.
I think we've decided to do just that on the opener, hunt deer and maybe antelope in Eastern half of the state instead of elk. I'll start elk full steam the following weekend. I'm not opposed to hunting or killing elk in the heat, but I don't like dealing with them once they are down.

ewade07

WKR
I think we've decided to do just that on the opener, hunt deer and maybe antelope in Eastern half of the state instead of elk. I'll start elk full steam the following weekend. I'm not opposed to hunting or killing elk in the heat, but I don't like dealing with them once they are down.
Me and my brother are in the same boat. Gonna hit em next weekend, supposed to cool down into the 70s.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Today leaving work.
IMG_20220830_162128856.jpg
That's from a black truck in a parking lot at 4:19 this afternoon. It had cooled down to a nice 95 after driving a couple miles. :)

I'll be hunting soon regardless but it sure doesn't make me think of bugling bulls.

Here's to hopin things are coolin down and the action is heatin up for the second week of season after you suckers suffer for the first week :cool:

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Well can't do anything about the weather. I'm going DIY and it doesn't cost me anything to sleep in my tent. So just going to enjoy camping in the mountains and wait for better conditions. Already told my boss and wife I'm not sure when I'm coming home. Spent over 1100 dollars on an elk tag with no hope of drawing next year, so I plan on getting my money's worth.

jpmulk

WKR
That is for the majority of Montana but specifically Helena at 4300. It'll be cooler at 8000 but it's still going to be hot. Another state will likely be different.
Also in helena. Not stoked at all about the weather. Ill still get out for a few morning hunt/scouts but thatll be it until it cools down. Atleast we arent smoky this year!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Also in helena. Not stoked at all about the weather. Ill still get out for a few morning hunt/scouts but thatll be it until it cools down. Atleast we arent smoky this year!
I've decided to hunt deer instead of elk. I normally hold off and hunt deer with a rifle during the rut but always consider doing an early season hunt out east. It won't be cooler there, but a deer would be a whole lote easier to get out in this heat. The elk are still thinking about the rut and probably bugling at night but this gives me a good excuse to try something different. I'll get serious with elk starting the 10th.

For you guys traveling from out of state, you don't have a choice at this point. I'm fortunate that I have options. Good luck!

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I've decided to hunt deer instead of elk. I normally hold off and hunt deer with a rifle during the rut but always consider doing an early season hunt out east. It won't be cooler there, but a deer would be a whole lote easier to get out in this heat. The elk are still thinking about the rut and probably bugling at night but this gives me a good excuse to try something different. I'll get serious with elk starting the 10th.

For you guys traveling from out of state, you don't have a choice at this point. I'm fortunate that I have options. Good luck!
Easiest way to find elk is to look for deer instead ;). Good luck!