Mule packing

OK I'm posting because I have to, so I can message people in the classifieds. Either that or I'm missing g something,.

I am new to packing but think I have an alright setup two pack mules 1 good pack saddle with hard panniers and a set of saddle panniers I would like to hook with so.eone and learn more. Anyone have good ideas on meals to pack in other than freeze dried for a colorado muzzloader hunt. I'm packing in dehydrated eggs save on weight and room. But anything I don't want all the freeze dried meals anymore, good suppers or lunches?

I used to build 22x14x10 inch open-top boxes to fit inside soft panniers, to carry kitchen supplies, such as two-burner Coleman stove, two-mantle Coleman lantern, two gallons of white gas, skillets, pots, pans, etc. With that type of cook gear, sky's the limit on the variety of food you can prepare in the backcountry. Home-cooked type meals are the norm with that type of setup.

OP
CrazySRanch
OK I'm posting because I have to, so I can message people in the classifieds. Either that or I'm missing g something,.

I am new to packing but think I have an alright setup two pack mules 1 good pack saddle with hard panniers and a set of saddle panniers I would like to hook with so.eone and learn more. Anyone have good ideas on meals to pack in other than freeze dried for a colorado muzzloader hunt. I'm packing in dehydrated eggs save on weight and room. But anything I don't want all the freeze dried meals anymore, good suppers or lunches?
Great I plan on taking a Colman stove.
boxes are a great idea.

Back in the 70s, I was living in camps in the seven western states. We moved camp often. Our kitchen was a collection of odds and ends scattered from hell to breakfast in cardboard boxes, bags and loose ends. 2/3s of the time we would get to our destination and have to go back into town to try to find what parts were missing.

In a fit of frustation I decided to build a set of kitchen boxes. One chuckwagon box is a tapered wooden pannier with partitions and drawers to fit everything I needed that was scattered around. This even included sterling silver utensils, frying pans, cook kits that nest, dish soap, plates, matches etc. such that everything has its place.

The opposite pannier carried the gas stove, gas, hose, griddle, frying pan and various odds and ends as needed. Again about 45 lbs.

The soft panniers carry food ,paper goods, or I also use wooden panniers because they keep the critters out and provide seats in camp.

All my soft goods( sleeping bags, tarps, tents are all top loaded. Personal gear fits in a back pack.

With that we ate normal food - steaks, roasts, soup, ham. It was easy to bring into camp frozen and cook as needed. Just build menus and then food lists to meet the menu.

Mike 338

WKR
Made a massive batch of chili just the way I like it. Dehydrated it and loaded into generous single portion freezer bags. Take along some hot sauce. I rehydrate one bag during dinner the night before (cold water is fine) so it's perfectly hydrated for heating for the next dinner. Don't believe that it's rehydrated 15 minutes before heating. Spaghetti is always a winner. I imagine the same for a Chicken Alfredo would be good too. As long as you rehydrate the chow before you need it, it's ready to quickly heat when you want it. You can rehydrate a single serving on the pack in so it's ready the first night.

I like a fast breakfast. Portioned granola from the bulk section with some powdered milk mixed in is filling and full of calories. In cold weather, I'll heat it like oatmeal. It sticks with you if you eat enough. You could probably dehydrate a slew of sliced bananas for the cereal too. Lunch... I'm still working on that. Oh, and Spam is a thing you can definitely develop a taste for. It's a versatile calorie dense meat, and packs well.

I tip my hat to a mule skinner.

PNWGATOR

WKR
You think a person would join the forum to participate and not simply whore themselves out to the classifieds. Especially with a reference to mule packing. The mule people I know are better than that.

Marble

WKR
We don't take a coleman stove, but a different one that's a two burner that takes little Propane tanks. Sometimes just my jet boil and a small single burner.

We take tortillas, imitation cheese (sometimes real shredded depending on temps) apples, fresh meat for the first night. Prebaked potatoes that we will add to a dehydrated meal. A jar or two of spaghetti sauce.

Whiskey and a very small ration of beer

We eat the back packers pantry foods. They are pretty dang good. They are even better when placed in a hot cheese quesida like a taco.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
CrazySRanch
You think a person would join the forum to participate and not simply whore themselves out to the classifieds. Especially with a reference to mule packing. The mule people I know are better than that.
Well I have been on here, read and learned lots of things. The problem is I haven't started enough threads to be able to talk to a guy with some gear for sale. I'm not sure me wanting to buy gear is whoring myself out but to each there own.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Just start a thread and don’t preface it as a way to access the classifieds. Participate. Contribute. Share your journey. Add value to the forum. Don’t just look for a way to offload gear or find a good deal on something. Chip in and make this place better than you found it.

I use banana boxes for both gear and food And to pack out meat. They’re sturdy enough to survive a trip in and out, weigh almost nothing, and you can burn em if you don’t meed em. Once I have the box packed then I wrap it in a 6x8 poly tarp as a manty and lash it with a 25’ length of 1/4” rope. I have some boxes I’ve reused 3-4 times.

We take in bread, tortillas, potatoes, carrots, apples. Eggs, bacon ham sausages kielbasa brats and a few steaks get packed in a small soft cooler. It takes three horses (six banana boxes and soft packs on top) to do a drop camp for 3 guys for ten days.

yfarm

WKR
Assume you’ve read all the threads in the backcountry stock section? There is discussion there about the use of saddle panniers. A decker or sawbuck uses up less of your load limit than using a western saddle. Best thing I’ve done was going to a 5 day packing school, shortens the learning curve and prevents problems.