Multi-Caliber Rifles

I have been looking into some of the multi-caliber rifles, that can be changed by the user. Has anyone looked into these or used any of them? Any companies that anyone has a history with that offers this type of rifle in calibers for larger game down to .223/5.56, .22lr for plinking and practice. TIA.

rayporter

WKR
custom built rifles can easily be set up to change out the barrels. i do it a lot. one rifle has 13 barrels. one has a 22 ppc, a 6 BR and a 243 barrel. if you wanted a smaller caliber such as a 223 a second bolt would be needed. a 22 ppc and a 30-06 can be done with one bolt but feeding would be a likely problem with the ppc.

it is easy to have an action fit 2 stocks and have multiple barrels for it but not many change out the stocks.

changing barrels is a snap, literally. it is possible to remove a barrel and tighten it by hand and shoot but i would not hunt with one done this way. and action wrench that fits the action and a barrel vice is all you need. the barrel is clamped in the vise which is no more than 2 v shaped blocks and the action wrench is inserted in the action to tighten. generally a mark is put on the barrel and action after you tighten by hand and you then use the wrench to achieve a slight movement of the barrel in relation to the action. an eighth of an inch of movement is pretty tight. no gauges are needed once set up as nothing can change due to the shoulder of the barrel.

Wapiti1

WKR
West Texas Ordnance Switchlug is a simple and effective system for what you are asking.

However, understand that the bolt face dictates what cartridges you can use. Or you need multiple bolts to go with the barrels.

The Thompson Center Dimension is a good setup for this as well. Or their Encore. The Encore is the most versatile since you don't have a fixed bolt face to limit you. It can be anything from a shotgun, to a rimfire, to a .416 Rigby.

Now, if you are looking at the AR (15 or 10) platform rifles, then you just swap the upper and go shooting. The bolt may interchange, or may stay with the upper (depends on headspace and bolt face).

Jeremy

West Texas Ordnance Switchlug is a simple and effective system for what you are asking.

I have a Rem 700 LA with a West Texas Ordnance Switchlug on it. I have several barrels and a cookie different stocks I can switch back and forth with, all of mine are cartridges in the 30-06 family. Been very happy with it. Advantages of this system are that you can swap barrels without pulling the action out of the stock if you have it set up right. Disadvantage is that you need a smith to initially thread, taper, and headspace the barrels. Pretty minor but not like the barrel nut system. My Smith was actually able to convert three factory take off barrels for me, which was cost effective and advantageous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enel

FNG
Get a Custom work and i am sure you will be satisfied but you can't have all rifle and their capabilities all rolled up in one.

cooperjd

WKR
I sold my tc dimension recently, but it is the best cost effective way to get what you want imo.

11 barrels, 4 bolts, and just buy one quality optic.

I had 3 barrels in the B family: .22-250, .243, and 6.5creed.

All shot moa or better with factory ammo.

I wanted a faster twist .22-250 and sold the 243 after buying the 6.5. I ended up buying a tikka 6.5 and will eventually pick up another faster twist 22-250.

I have a few friends with the dimension as well and although horribly ugly imo they shoot really really good.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider

colersu22

WKR
I recall seeing a Kifaru rifle a few years ago in the classifieds that was one action and 3 interchangeable barrels.

"I recall seeing a Kifaru rifle a few years ago in the classifieds that was one action and 3 interchangeable barrels."

The Kifaru Rambling Rifle was Patrick Smith's baby. I fondled his in the Kifaru shop....neat stuff. Remington M7 action, lightened as much as the gunsmith could, an easily owner removed barrel that could be switched by the owner to the others in the set. Most were .260 Remington, .308 Win and or .358 Winchester back in that era. The stock had a skeleton butt (big triangle of wood missing from the butt toward the grip) and "popsicle stick" forend as I remember it its (been 20 years). He had a Leupold 2-7x28 UL on it. Anyway it was very light...in the 4-5# pound range as set up as I remember. Also, as I remember they were dang pricey when he went commercial with it with the Gen II version with a synthetic stock and 3 barrels.

Jimss

WKR
I own a Thompson Center that is a great single shot option. I've harvested a few animals with a 50 cal muzzy barrel. I could get incredible groups with dot scope out to 200 yards with sabots.

I tried it with a 300 Winchester barrel. After 5 shots I decided to return the 300 barrel. It had crazy kick like no other rifle I've seen! I'm sure smaller calibers would work great.