My first blanket

For a while I've wanted a lightweight blanket for backpacking and finally got around to making one. I used 1.0 oz HyperD for both shells; I selected gray calendered fabric for the outside to cut the wind and orange non-calendered for the inside. For insulation I chose 3.6 oz Climashield Apex for decent warmth and low weight. I serged all the sides together and stitched the last few inches together with a sewing machine where I flipped it right side out. The finished product is 58"x96"and weighs 1.5 pounds. My coworker used it in the Wind Rivers last weekend and said it did an excellent job providing extra warmth on a night where his sleeping bag just wasn't enough. Overall I'm very happy with it and can't wait to see how I like it this fall.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
Browninglover1
I didn't make a stuff sack because I'll use my 6.5x13" Mountain Hardware. Here's a few pics. It stuffs into the sack very easily and then with the compression straps it really gets small.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Browninglover1
I'm anxious to try and make a few of these once I get settled into the new house.

They are much easier than I anticipated. I am hoping to make a few more in the coming weeks for some friends and really get my technique down before I branch out and make my first sleeping quilt.

OP
Browninglover1
Just a quick update: According to what I had read this blanket would be good down to 40 degrees with the insulation I used. Last night it got down to 42 degrees and I was completely comfortable in just my skivvies with my Klymit insulated pad and this blanket. I could not be more pleased.