Need a new rifle

fly1tie6

FNG
I currently have a Savage 111 LRH in 300 Win Mag and I am looking to replace it. It shoots well but it just doesn’t fit me like it should and it is ~10.6 lbs scoped. I am looking at Tikkas in either the 300 WM or 7 MM. Being ~3lbs lighter than my current Savage with integrated muzzle brake I wonder what the recoil is like. Do any of the Tikkas come with an integrated muzzle brake or at the least have threaded barrels? Do the Tikkas have adjustable triggers? Tikka owners please chime in and share the wealth. I am also hoping to stretch this rifle out as my abilities grow to 800 yds. Is this realistic for these rifles?

Thanks all

I’ve got a Tikka superlite in 300 WM on order for my next big game rifle. I pre-ordered a Maven RS2 to go on top. When it gets here I’ll send it off to have it threaded 1/2x28 with an adapter to bring it up to 5/8x24 and I’ll suppress it with an Omega. I was worried about the recoil being such a light rifle but I think between the suppressor and the fact that I’m not all that recoil sensitive I’ll be alright. I’ll practice enough to stay proficient but I don’t plan on sending a ton of rounds down range to the point that I’ll develop a flinch. My wife has the same setup in 6.5 Creedmoor that I can plink around with as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Superlite in 7RM. I replaced the butt pad and the recoil is not bad at all. The trigger is adjustable and I have mine set at 3 lbs. I have taken game at 528 yds but have not pushed it beyond 600 yds due to the 150 gr pill I am shooting.

I’ve got a T3 lite in .300wm- put it in a B&C stock and the recoil was much more manageable. I won’t go as far to say it’s enjoyable to shoot without a brake, but it’s tolerable.

The lites and superlites do not come with threaded barrels, but they do come with an adjustable trigger that can be made even lighter with a drop in spring from yodave or a few other folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a t3x superlite 6.5cm, I’ll be getting the barre chopped and possible threaded soon. Trigger is ok, yes it’s adjustable.

Tikkas are great, dont think you will get an integrated brake. For under $1K you can get a Browning Xbolt 300 Win with a brake.

The Kimber or a Christensen Arms for under $2K.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’m definitely a fan of Tikka rifles, I was out today chronoing my superlite in 300 wm with 200 grain eld-x and while it’s got some recoil it’s not terrible. I put a limbsaver pad on it. Today I put 29 rounds through it and it didn’t bother me, it may get a brake at some point though. Tikkas just shoot awesome and for $750 bucks it’s tough to beat! The trigger is adjustable like everyone has said.

I’ve owned a tikka 7mm since 03 with no bells and whistles. Has been my only hunting rifle since that time. Been a great rifle and several of my friends have them and have never had an issue with them. Trigger is adjustable and a very reliable rifle that shoots great and won’t break the bank.

It seems you are leaning with a Tikka and that is a good rifle. I'm not sure what your budget is but look at the Christensen Arms. I have a ridgeline in 300 WM and Mine weighs in at 7.14 lbs. Rifle only, very pleasant to shoot with the side discharge brake instead of the radial. put a light scope on top and I would say you have a manageable lightweight setup.

I just picked up a Tikka T3x off the Sportsman's Warehouse sale. It's in the shop getting cerakoted and braked, but even with the aftermarket parts from Mountain Tactical and the smith work I'm still looking at less money into the gun than I would have paid for a Christensen or decent Kimber. For a lightweight gun with good aftermarket options, the Tikka is a great move.

Now if Tikka would just twist their barrels properly and give some more room in the magazine, they could take over the world. Personally I wouldn't buy a gun that limits me to "3.34 and has an 11" twist barrel for a long range setup.

another vote for tikka.... I have more expensive guns, but don't think I have more accurate guns. Shoots virtually anything I feed it. They simply work and shoot.

I appreciate all the responses. From all I’ve read it does not sound like I could go wrong with a Tikka. What would be a good aftermarket brake for it. Definitely want to go with side discharge after having the radial style discharge on the Savage. Now all I need to do is go fondle a few and pick the one that’s feels right. I will probably use the Vortex HS-T 6-24 x 50 that I had on the Savage. Thanks guys. Being on this forum gets expensive! Haha

I appreciate all the responses. From all I’ve read it does not sound like I could go wrong with a Tikka. What would be a good aftermarket brake for it. Definitely want to go with side discharge after having the radial style discharge on the Savage. Now all I need to do is go fondle a few and pick the one that’s feels right. I will probably use the Vortex HS-T 6-24 x 50 that I had on the Savage. Thanks guys. Being on this forum gets expensive! Haha

Are you wanting a long range rifle or a lighter general purpose rifle? Why the need to shoot 800 yards? I wouldn't use a stock Tikka T3 for a long range rifle,and I wouldn't put a 6-24X50 on a general purpose hunting rifle.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in .300 WSM that is one of the finest rifles I've ever owned. I added a brake to mine, as it is light enough that, without the brake, it would take a while to find a follow up shot because of the recoil. It's a sub MOA gun all day long.

Muzzlebrakes and more

Get the self timed one

Sucks ur stuck with short CoAl in the magnum tikkas but they will still shoot.

Now if Tikka would just twist their barrels properly and give some more room in the magazine, they could take over the world. Personally I wouldn't buy a gun that limits me to "3.34 and has an 11" twist barrel for a long range setup.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I usually get slaughtered when I mention this. I love Tikkas but not for a long range shooter in a long magnum cartridge.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I usually get slaughtered when I mention this. I love Tikkas but not for a long range shooter in a long magnum cartridge.

No sir!!! I have been whining about it on here since last summer when I got my 1:11" twist 300 WSM. Luckily they are just a rebarrel away from fixing that. ;)

Maybe them Vikings in Finland will finally start making correctly twisted barrels from the factory for everything like they do with their 6.5s

Last edited:
Back