Need advice now.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just shot a raghorn bull. Was 65 yards quartering away slightly. Center punched him vertically shot 6-8 inches back. Thinking I got liver and one lung or just liver was dripping blood really good as he went away. I watched him for 3-4 min and he was hurting head down etc. he made it down to the willows should I look tonight or wait till tom. 38-43 degrees tonight I don't want it to spoil.

First bull with a bow
Thanks

find the arrow, smell it for guts smell

go to first set of blood and follow it for a bit
if you have a lot of blood keep going slowly
if little blood or blood is getting less and less, back off for a bit

Sounds like you are ok with what you described
find that arrow and read it

Id keep going slowly and you will most likely find him piled up if the arrow doesn't smell like guts, don't confuse blood with guts

keep us informed
you wont sleep tonight any way, just try not to bump him up, go slow and look and smell and listen.

Btaylor

WKR
On a deer I would give that shot an hour and a half before trailing and trail slowly. No experience with that shot on an elk so not sure if that is a useful time frame or not. I would trail tonight though.

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Shot with a slick trick. Arrow is still in him with 6-8 inches sticking out

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
On a deer I would give that shot an hour and a half before trailing and trail slowly. No experience with that shot on an elk so not sure if that is a useful time frame or not. I would trail tonight though.

Excactly first elk I have shot a couple dozen deer and if this was a deer it would be very dead.

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
find the arrow, smell it for guts smell

go to first set of blood and follow it for a bit
if you have a lot of blood keep going slowly
if little blood or blood is getting less and less, back off for a bit

Sounds like you are ok with what you described
find that arrow and read it

Id keep going slowly and you will most likely find him piled up if the arrow doesn't smell like guts, don't confuse blood with guts

keep us informed
you wont sleep tonight any way, just try not to bump him up, go slow and look and smell and listen.

I watched him for 300 yards or so. Ran 150 then just barely moved the rest of the yards till I couldn't see him. Head down slowly moving down the hill. Pretty good blood dripping down him.

I shot a bull real similar to the same scenario I went very slow after an hour I only had go one lung same distance as well with a slick trick I approached real slow and cautiously and ended up getting another arrow in him to finish him. One lung I've seen an elk last a few hours on. Hopefully you got both and I wish you the best of luck on recovery. I'd say proceed with caution. Keep us posted!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
If your headlamp had a red light I'd definitely use that to assist.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

he will die, their lungs go a ways back and if you are only 6-8" I would say that is in vitals. Organize your pack, by getting kill kit ready, stuff moved around, get hydrated and eat a snack, you've got a long night ahead of you getting him out.

mossyhorn

FNG
Not sure where you are but temps across the west are hot! Shot sounds good. Give him another hour to be safe and go find your bull. I bet he didn't go much further.

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
In Idaho down in the bottom was 48 degrees when I left. It's been 40-44 every morning at 5. Planning on heading to the last place I saw him and finding blood in an hour or two then reassessing.

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wait a few days it's been pretty hot and elk tough to find! Way more elk last year...but I can't complain

MT_Wyatt

WKR
In Idaho down in the bottom was 48 degrees when I left. It's been 40-44 every morning at 5. Planning on heading to the last place I saw him and finding blood in an hour or two then reassessing.

Good luck - it's so much tougher with one hole, and they can go miles on 1 lung. Glad to hear you saw lots of blood, hopefully it turns out well for you, and you're cutting and packing meat. Time to call the Calvary!

If you get it chance it'd be awesome to see what lies at the end of the trail :)