New Article: Pants for the Backcountry, by Matt Wymer

MIKEYB

WKR
Kuhl renegades!

Picked up a pair at campsaver for 45 only size and color(brown) that I found discounted.

Have an overnight trip with 8 miles on them so far and I'm very pleased.

Thanks to Ryan for the recommendation on them in another thread.

Kuhl renegades!

Picked up a pair at campsaver for 45 only size and color(brown) that I found discounted.

Have an overnight trip with 8 miles on them so far and I'm very pleased.

Thanks to Ryan for the recommendation on them in another thread.

Ha! I was about to post the same thing! I just ordered the Campsaver deal. $43 including shipping for the brown renegades.

BSeals71

WKR
Are there any other 30" waist guys here?

It's hard trying to find a good pair of quality pants that fit comfortably.
I have an older pair of KUIU Attack pants when they first came out with that size, but really limited overall with trying anything else.

Bigolmuley

Lil-Rokslider
I actually need a 28", but no one makes that. Might get the 30 attack and tiburon. We shall see how they fit

JDZ

WKR
Are there any other 30" waist guys here?

It's hard trying to find a good pair of quality pants that fit comfortably.

Depending on the brand I'm a 30- or 31-inch waist. While that small of waist is very limiting, the combination of a 36-inch inseam really limits clothing options. For outdoor clothes, I usually end up with a 32Wx34L pant, and some companies don't even make that. My everyday clothes come from a western clothing store, because it is the only place that carries 31x36 jeans and dress pants.

One would think that outdoor companies would make pants to fit athletic type people. Not like the mall stores that only sell clothes to fit short, fat people.

PA 5-0

WKR
Guys, take a look at the Cabelas Great Trail Pants. I found them at a store for like $45 on sale. Zip offs with artic'd knees and such. They even come with a nylon belt. I have put a bunch of hot, sweaty, pack training miles on them in the past few months and luv'm. Trying to replicate every scenario my upcoming AK hunt could present, I even went commando a couple times with zero rubs. These pants will be in my pack as a back up to my Attacks.

I liked your options listed if you could build a better pant. If it were me I would do something similar but offer un hemmed length on them or custom hemming as everyone is different. its really quite easy to hem i've done it before. So gents no shame in using the wifes sewing machine if she has one.

And if your measurement is from the top of the pants not the inseam length its really accurate as guys generally know where they like there pants to sit on there hips. and you can go off your favorite pants for length.

Great write up .....

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to believe it has been almost 3 years since I wrote the article! Time sure flies! Great deal on the Cabela's pants, pretty hard to beat $18!

NDGuy

WKR
Hard to believe it has been almost 3 years since I wrote the article! Time sure flies! Great deal on the Cabela's pants, pretty hard to beat $18!

What's your opinon on the Kanab 2.0s? Have you got to try out the Obsidian Pant?

The other pants I recently bought that I love are the Eddie Bauer guide pants. Great for the money.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not tried the Kanab 2.0s. I do really like the Corrugate Guide pants, but prefer integrated knee pads for most of my hunting. I know some guys don't, but they are a must have for me. Lots of new pants out there since I wrote this, and some of the pants have even been updated! Its amazing how many choices have come up in the last few years!!