New bow?

Sandstrom

WKR
What would I gain from a new bow?

I have a 2013 Hoyt carbon element g3. It has been shot very little in the last 8 years, it’s amazing what kids and a wife do to hunting time:)

Would I be better giving it to my wife and getting a new one or getting her a new bow, she want to start archery:)

Thanks,
Ryan

I'd get a new one and let the wife have the old one. This way you can borrow it and have a backup bow you are familiar with.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
What would a new bow do performance wise that would be better than my current bow? Have they made many major advances lately, I have not looked at bows for a while!!
Thanks,
Ryan

whichever option she will be most excited about. if your current bow is 70# most women can't really shoot it in a practical sense anyhow.

NYSKIER

WKR
whichever option she will be most excited about. if your current bow is 70# most women can't really shoot it in a practical sense anyhow.
I was thinking the same thing. I'd say getting into archery you want something very adjustable. I'm going to assume that bow has a draw weight of +/- 10 pounds

The advances since 2013 haven't been that significant IMO. Depending on exactly which new bow you chose, you might gain 10 fps and some marginally useful ease-of-tuning features.

If my wife were interested in archery, getting her a bow that fit her properly would be my top priority. It's unlikely that your wife could comfortably shoot your current bow as is. There's a good chance you would need to swap the limbs and/or cams to make it fit her. Replacement limbs/cams would likely cost several hundred dollars (if you can find them).

Fowl Play

WKR
What would I gain from a new bow?

I have a 2013 Hoyt carbon element g3. It has been shot very little in the last 8 years, it’s amazing what kids and a wife do to hunting time:)

Would I be better giving it to my wife and getting a new one or getting her a new bow, she want to start archery:)

Thanks,
Ryan
I would put new strings on your current bow and start shooting it, as long as the limbs are in good shape and still hold the draw weight you want. If not, put new limbs on it too. There have really not been any major advancements since then. Your current bow is more than adequate. Get your wife a bow that fits her draw length/weight.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
This:
If my wife were interested in archery, getting her a bow that fit her properly would be my top priority.

In addition, having her excited about her new bow, and picking it out, and picking out the attachments, and the knowledge that it's new ... that excitement on her part is WAY more important than you just getting a new bow. The more she wants to go shoot, and is excited to shoot, the more you get to as well. Bows since 2013 are marginally faster, but I feel like we're kind of plateau'd on the performance side, and at the limit of current technology. They don't all feel the same, but performance-wise, they're all pretty close to today's systems.

Take her shopping for her new bow, one that fits her, in her colors, with her farkels and her own touch, and that she loves and actively wants to use.

Cheers,
-mox

I think bow technology is only going to be able to go so far...my bow is a 2014 Mathews Creed XS. Every year I shoot the new flagship bows thinking I may buy one, but never can talk myself into it because I don't see that they're any better than what I have. I replace the strings every other year and keep killing stuff. But if you want an excuse to buy a new bow, by all means this is your chance!!

SloppyJ

WKR
About the only real advancement in that time has been the adjustment system like bowtech started IMO. I see a time where most bows are going to be utilizing that type of feature. I think too many of us tinker and appreciate not having to press the bow and swap out top hats to get a good paper tune. At least I do, but I also have a press and bought a new bow last year without those features. That RX7 ultra just felt too good and they were able to get me a 80# left handed model pretty quickly.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
Looks like the wife will get a new bow:)
I am curious how she will react to “the budget” I tried to explain to her about buy once, cry once!! Worst case scenario, whatever she gets, my two boys (6 and 7) would be able to use eventually as they grow.

She also want me to get the boys bows so we can shoot as a family:)!!!!
Ryan

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
Looks like this will cost me a couple grand, but totally worth it!!!! It’s almost like I can’t afford not to do it:)
Thanks for all the advice!
Ryan

sndmn11

WKR
Looks like this will cost me a couple grand, but totally worth it!!!! It’s almost like I can’t afford not to do it:)
Thanks for all the advice!
Ryan
Don't overlook bows that are not women specific. My wife and I wrote a review for Elite's Omnia and it is very efficient at shorter draw lengths and weights. The lightest peak weight is 40lb so you can easily get to 35lb.
https://www.rokslide.com/elite-omnia-review/
https://elitearchery.com/products/omnia

Hoyt's Z1S is very similar in form and ease of the draw cycle.
https://hoyt.com/compound-bows/z1s

The Bowtech Amplify is outstanding as well. I have two immediate family members who shoot them and there is nothing wrong at all with the bow. Tune very easy and have a crazy amount of draw weight and draw length adjustment.

Jim813

FNG
What pushed you over the hump to buy a new bow? I'm on a 8 year old bowtech that I just upgraded the sight on. Only required regular maintenance and been through a few strings now. I haven't shot anything else but this bow since, partially due to the fact that I don't want to know how much better a new setup may be.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
I am getting a new bow for my wife, mainly because mine would not fit her. I will shoot my old one:)