New guy hunting elk

JPC

FNG
I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the great info on this forum.

I am 41 yrs old and I have a hunting problem... I have never been. This year will be my first and I am going after an elk.

I'll be solo backcountry hunting in Colorado for 2nd rifle season. I guess you could say I like to challenge myself.

Welcome...
Although you didn't really ask a question, I assume you are wanting guys to give you the secretes to elk hunting. Learning the elk woods is a long process that never really ends. I don't know your woodsmanship skills or how well you can handle yourself alone in the backcountry, but if you have never hunted, anything for that matter, I don't suggest true solo backcountry elk hunting. I don't mean to be negative or burst your bubble, but watching it on TV is a lot different then what you are planning. If you have never hunted and you were lucky enough to kill an elk, you have a whole new set of problems getting that animal broke down and out of the woods. It's just not smart to plan this with no experience.
Maybe try an outfitter or find a few buddies to join you on your first trip that have hunted before.
Outfitters can be great under many circumstances, especially for people that are learning. Don't be too proud to pay a little money to hunt with an experienced guide.

Welcome JPC! It is an addiction, so you have been warned. My advice is make sure you can do one physically, then get some good gear, and lastly don't get caught up thinking you have to kill a 300"+ bull and enjoy the heck out of elk country! I leave in 3-weeks now myself, the best time of the year!

They are really big critters. Go stand next to a horse and remember they about that big if not a little bigger and then figure out how you'd get that horse to your vehicle if it was dead at your feet. If you think you can handle that and you have a high tolerance for pain than I say go for it. I'd have never gotten into hiking if I waited around for a partner.

Now having said that I consider elk hunting a team sport and save my solo back country trips for mule deer.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies... and concerns. I would love to learn all the secrets to hunting elk, but I know that takes years (or a lifetime and then some). Any pointers are greatly appreciated though.

A bit about me: I lived for years at 10,200 ft elevation, but for the last 2 years I have been a low lander at a measly 8,200 ft. I have lived in/around Telluride, CO for the past 15 years and spend my first 14 years guiding extended backcountry trips (backpacking, climbing, rafting, etc) for 25 to 35 days (per trip). I have been on our Search & Rescue team for about 10 years. As far as backcountry skills, I feel I'm fairly squared away. Finding the elk is my main concern. I see them all over, but finding them on public lands during hunting season might not be as easy. I have some friends that are willing to hike in and help me pack elk out if needed.

In short, I know it will be a challenge, but I think I'm up for it. I'd like to get into archery, but figured I should get the hang of hunting before learning another new skill.

As for 300" + Bulls, I'm just looking to put some meat in the freezer. Being my first hunt, I'll stick with a decent, but manageable size bull if conditions permit. I'll happily take what I can get.

Thanks for the replies... and concerns. I would love to learn all the secrets to hunting elk, but I know that takes years (or a lifetime and then some). Any pointers are greatly appreciated though.

A bit about me: I lived for years at 10,200 ft elevation, but for the last 2 years I have been a low lander at a measly 8,200 ft. I have lived in/around Telluride, CO for the past 15 years and spend my first 14 years guiding extended backcountry trips (backpacking, climbing, rafting, etc) for 25 to 35 days (per trip). I have been on our Search & Rescue team for about 10 years. As far as backcountry skills, I feel I'm fairly squared away. Finding the elk is my main concern. I see them all over, but finding them on public lands during hunting season might not be as easy. I have some friends that are willing to hike in and help me pack elk out if needed.

In short, I know it will be a challenge, but I think I'm up for it. I'd like to get into archery, but figured I should get the hang of hunting before learning another new skill.

As for 300" + Bulls, I'm just looking to put some meat in the freezer. Being my first hunt, I'll stick with a decent, but manageable size bull if conditions permit. I'll happily take what I can get.

Welcome to the forum. I will be in the Telluride area on Sunday for my first backcountry archery hunt for elk. My brother and I are taking the plunge. I can't wait to spend 2 weeks in the mountains and hope to find some elk. Shooting one would be a huge bonus for our first trip out there. I met a fellow that used to live there and he talked me into going to that area, so we'll see how it goes. I wish you luck on your new hobby and hope you have a great adventure.

Welcome to the forum. I will be in the Telluride area on Sunday for my first backcountry archery hunt for elk. My brother and I are taking the plunge. I can't wait to spend 2 weeks in the mountains and hope to find some elk. Shooting one would be a huge bonus for our first trip out there. I met a fellow that used to live there and he talked me into going to that area, so we'll see how it goes. I wish you luck on your new hobby and hope you have a great adventure.

Thanks. And best of luck to you. I'd love to hear how your trip goes. Are you flying in or driving? If your flying, be sure to say hi (I work at the airport).

Thanks. And best of luck to you. I'd love to hear how your trip goes. Are you flying in or driving? If your flying, be sure to say hi (I work at the airport).

We are driving out. Should take about 24 hours according to google. I'll let you know how the trip went and what we did or didn't need or care for as far as gear, but you will be later in the season with different weather also.

Looks like we got the first snow today up high. A light dusting on top of the ski area about 12000 ft up. And it was in the high 70s yesterday. I'll post a photo tonight when I get home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440539298.964483.jpg

Not the best quality photo, but this is from the Telluride airport looking east toward the ski area. The light dusting in the photo is the only snow I can see around here and will probably be gone by tomorrow.

JPC, sounds like you can handle yourself in the elk woods. With your backcountry experience you may even have a step on a few other guys. Good luck and be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Welcome, JPC.

I too am 41 and hunt the Colorado backcountry alone. I just started hunting a couple years ago at 39. This site has been very valuable for me. I've got mule deer and packed them out by myself the last couple of years, but have yet to get an elk down. Maybe this will be the year.

As a fellow neophyte, I don't have a ton of wisdom to share, but I do have three quick recommendations about hunting solo in the backcountry.

I would contact the forest service for the area you plan to hunt and get a list of licensed outfitters. Call them and find one that will do meat packing in your hunt area. I know you said you have friends who can help, but I think it would give you great comfort to know you can call in the cavalry.

Use trekking poles. I never bring them backpacking, but I bring them hunting. Packing meat while bushwacking down steep slopes can be really dangerous without them. You can't afford to get hurt if you are alone.

Don't cut yourself. Havalon and other similar surgical blades are scary sharp. I wear a filet glove on my left hand to reduce the likelihood of taking off a finger.

I have no doubt you can get it done. When you do, please post a story for us here.

Thanks for the recommendations. I got in the habit of using trekking poles in my guiding days mainly so I have something to set my tarp up with when I'm above tree line (tough to find branches where there are no trees). Now I tend to take them regardless - always makes the down-hills a bit easier. As for an outfitter, I feel confident I can handle getting the elk out and if my friends say they will be there to help... They will. But I appreciate the recommendation anyway.

I went out scouting today. After talking with a friend, he persuaded me to check out what was originally my 3rd option first. After hiking in about a mile, I got off trail and climbed up to a ridge at about 12000 feet. Once up on the ridge, I started seeing a lot of scat. I followed the ridge all the way up to where it starts to get very steep with lots of very loose rock. When I got to the top, I could really smell elk! I didn't venture into the trees below, but I feel confident I would have found elk in there. I then scrambled across a bit of a scree slope to gain access to a perpendicular ridge and followed in down a bit. About 1/2 way across, I found a spot perfect for glassing a large basin. After spending a little time there with a cheap set of binos, I told myself that as soon as I got home, I'm ordering some new binos. Done! All in all, I saw plenty of signs and I know there are plenty of elk in the general area. The big questions are: will they be there come 2nd rifle season and will I find a bull!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440813213.510558.jpg

Welcome ! . I started hunting young but I was a self starter myself and I'm newish to elk hunting. This will be my third year after elk and I have yet to seal the deal on an elk but I have much higher confidence this year. I came from the opposite end with a lifetime of hunting and no backcountry experience. With your knowledge of the backcountry and ability to scout living there you are set to do well. A freezer full of the best tasting and healthiest meat that you harvested is a very satisfying feeling. Remember that it's simple and don't over think it as you begin. Rule one is hunt the wind ! Rule two is see rule one ;). Stay off the ridge top so you don't silhouette yourself for the animals. Move slowly and smoothly and keep your eyes moving. Always be ready to take a shot. Just because the elk are supposed to be miles in at your perfect spot doesn't mean that they won't be 100 yards from the trailhead while you're still thinking about if you forgot something at the truck. If you've never cut up an animal before I'm going to warn you that it's a lot of work. A sharp knife is safer and easier. If you start to use force to cut change the blade or sharpen it. Take your time and relaxe while you work. I wear oorthopedic surgical gloves anymore and they really help with grip and make it easier to keep the meat clean. Get hair sticking to you and the meat then change gloves. It also prevents disease and parasite transmission if you have cuts on your hands. Good hunting !

Back