New Mathew's Traverse

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Got outside with the bow today to stretch it out a bit.
First group at 30yds:
IMG_20190312_181657.jpg

Then I took it back to 50yds for a single group. I believe this was one of my first times ever grouping a bow at at that distance. I look forward to backing up more. (In full disclosure I pulled the first arrow sent which was several inches to the left in the black as it was launched during a wind gust with some neighbor kids being loud ...gotta have my excuses 😊)
IMG_20190312_182946.jpg

The more I shoot the bow, the less prone I am to get a back bar. With 2oz on the front and the Arrow Web quiver mounted, the bow levels out really quick and stays put at the shot. Both the quiver and Apex Covert sight are pretty light so there's not a lot to work against. Maybe I'll see if the archery shop will let me Mount a sidebar up before buying just to see if I'm missing out on something.

Last edited:
I finally had time today to get my Traverse set up and tuned. I threw the rest on and set it so the arrow runs right through the limb bolts, looking from the top, inline with the stabilizer. Set the timing on the rest. Set the nock height so that the bottom of the arrow is running through the middle of the berger hole. Put the sight on and set all the axis. Timed the cams. Shot through paper and had an insane six inch vertical tear. Realize the rest wasn't timed correctly and made the adjustment. Shot through paper again and had a 3/16 in tail right tear. Moved the rest to the left about a 1/32". Shooting bullets. Three different weight arrows, all perfect. I then went out to 20 and got my sight dialed in for 20.

I know I said before, this is my first Mathews and I am impressed. The bow just feels amazing. I need to figure out how to get 80lbs limbs on this thing, it is so smooth. I will get a sight tape made tomorrow.
qNXfbiqh.jpg

Well I'm not trying to say this was a good shot or anything based off the other 2 shots but I was still a little impressed with the two haha. One thing to note is the one that got hit was a by field point and the BMP point for a deadmeat broadhead in the target. They flew side by side all day out to 50 which is the farthest u have to shoot currently.

It was very windy today and I was trying to practice a little while my pin was floating everywhere. Most groups weren't this wild(I want to say everything else was inside the blue dot and first white ring even at 50) but nothing too impressive today. It was the last one for the day and I was impatient with the wind.

The weights seemed to be pretty good at 6 on the backbar and 3 on the front. Again though it was quite windy so I'll give a better update later. I used 7 and 5 on the backbar also and 6 seems to be the best.
bdc754ce9d82b9799a9c7bfbcd88f713.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PredatorX

WKR
I'd like to see pics of that MXZ! My first Mathews was a VX pro.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I shot my indoor 5 spot league today and shot a 299/300 32X. My best score ever. I know they say its the indian and not the bow, but sometimes a bow just fits the indian a little better than others. The Traverse draw cycle is by far the smoothest of any bow I have ever owned. It holds really well and I think I am shooting better because of the cable stops. I have limb stops on my other bows and I am beginning to see why most target shooters go with cable stops, they seem a bit more forgiving, at least to my shot process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Made it back to the archery shop to try out a side bar and I was quickly convinced. For how well the bow levels out without the sidebar, it was even quicker and steadier with it. Why not make great better?
I bought a 6" CBE Affect and mounted it with a Mathews Static Bar Mount ($20). Currently I have 3oz on it.
IMG_20190315_124458.jpg
I shot 20 or so arrows with it this evening and was really liking the dynamic of the bow. Hopefully I can back it up tomorrow.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Got out this morning to give the back bar a shake out. It was hovering around freezing and blustery, so I was trying to make the shots between gusts.

This was 4 at 47yds. Measures about 3.5". The one up in the black was a sighter as I don't have my sight tape on yet.
IMG_20190316_091557.jpg

Yesterday I was not shooting well at all. Watched some videos at work last night and put the information to use in the way I draw and get set up to be more stable.

Second group of the day, I'd say its helping a little. I'm gonna run out of arrows soon at this rate.
252cf31534d66a77cd786e5542d06e75.jpg
8bc732e0b91c0a853cc708ed899984f3.jpg

My buddy has the Traverse. Loved shooting it! Going to go get one soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke too soon this afternoon. Shot a couple decent groups at 30 then proceeded to shoot like crap for the next hour at 40.

I am getting new arrows built but I do not think it is the arrows as I managed to shoot one pretty good group at 40 with just a single arrow I let go a little high. Seems to be the norm the last few days. Shooting ok at 20 and 30 then opens way up when I get past that.

I have a feeling I'm starting to punch the trigger and not be consistent in my release. Been looking around at handhelds all night thinking about making the switch. . .

Lawnboi

WKR
No handheld with fix a problem that’s all in your head. Blank bale to start out your next shooting session, shoot 10 or 15 at 5 or 10 yards without aiming only focusing on your shot

No handheld with fix a problem that’s all in your head. Blank bale to start out your next shooting session, shoot 10 or 15 at 5 or 10 yards without aiming only focusing on your shot
I realize this but I had already been thinking about one anyway and have seen many posts where some people just can't use a trigger without punching it while they do good with a hand held.

I also did a lot of competitive shooting before getting into this and I have that habit engrained in me I think is part of it to break a shot at the right time when the crosshairs or my dot float on target.

I'm hoping my local shop may have some I could try out before I drop money on one. None of those hand held are cheap lol.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I realize this but I had already been thinking about one anyway and have seen many posts where some people just can't use a trigger without punching it while they do good with a hand held.

I also did a lot of competitive shooting before getting into this and I have that habit engrained in me I think is part of it to break a shot at the right time when the crosshairs or my dot float on target.

I'm hoping my local shop may have some I could try out before I drop money on one. None of those hand held are cheap lol.

Definetly worth a try

Pramo

WKR
I've had my Traverse since November and was shooting 3d last weekend. Started off great then would get some random high/low variance on my shots being off 2 or 3 inches at 40+ yards. I went home check timing and the factory cable needed 1.5 twists to get the cams back in sync.

Disappointing since I always shot factory strings on my Hoyts and never had a problem once tuned. Just ordered some aftermarket 452x strings from twistedx for the Traverse

I'd check your timing even if it was set before

Check out the Nock On Silverback or 2smooth for training. Both are great releases and really well made. Both are just different versions or Carter releases though since they are sold out most of the time.

Check out the Nock On Silverback or 2smooth for training. Both are great releases and really well made. Both are just different versions or Carter releases though since they are sold out most of the time.

Agreed! Hinge will change the game for you if you will commit to it. Your shooting will drastically improve if you go through a 3 month process of sticking with it. I have a 2 Smooth and Tru Ball HBC. Love both of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk