New Mathew's Traverse

Well I finally got to get my 60 yard pin set...might have had to stand 10 yards behind the fence of the range and shoot over it

Shot a few groups, this was the only one I was happy with at all. I cant wait to see what it will do with better arrows, not to mention arrows with all the fletchings haha.
1b4084e7da977f9a4f2b321d002b58f1.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Well I think I figured out my problem today. Something clicked while I was shooting today and I noticed I was letting my bow arm collapse at times. Not sure if I was too focused on putting tension with my release arm or this new bow having a higher letoff maybe let me get sloppy there but once I noticed and focused on that my groups shrank right back up.

Just watched a YouTube video recently where Phil Mendoza talked about shooting in different parts of the valley of the draw cycle. I guess this is basically what I was doing and what was causing the issue.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Worked back to 60yds yesterday in an attempt to get my sight tape set up. I was dealing with a gusty cross wind, so my horizontal spread isn't great, but I think the vertical is just about right.

IMG_20190318_161711.jpg

Worked back to 60yds yesterday in an attempt to get my sight tape set up. I was dealing with a gusty cross wind, so my horizontal spread isn't great, but I think the vertical is just about right.

View attachment 92619
What is all that white stuff?

I was sweating while shooting today down in South TX.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
What is all that white stuff?

I was sweating while shooting today down in South TX.

Often referred to as snow. Haven't seen the ground since the first week of November. I was sweating last Friday when it got up to a balmy 55° out.

Little more shooting today confirmed that the 60yd mark is good.

Often referred to as snow. Haven't seen the ground since the first week of November. I was sweating last Friday when it got up to a balmy 55° out.

Little more shooting today confirmed that the 60yd mark is good.
Couple years ago... this is the most I have ever seen and only the second time its snowed in south TX in my 30 years here haha.

Back to the bow stuff... got a call my arrows are ready(thats gonna hurt the wallet), and the guys at the shop have some Carter thumb releases(what I was somewhat planning on) that i can try out this weekend when I'm home. Excited to see how that goes.
794d9ad329fa50d2808e96cc93d71318.jpg

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
The Vertix needs some love too!
7C967028-2AD9-4C0B-A4F0-CEC6022D3E1A.jpegDD54C74F-0166-48FF-8DBD-9B54F68D1E0B.jpeg
Current setup without a stabilizer but I plan on buying one this weekend. This thing is a beast and I honestly couldn’t pass up the new switch weight technology when I was comparing the Vertix to the Traverse. Shot an ok group out at 40 but still playing around with the sight. You can’t go wrong with Mathews this year.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
The Vertix needs some love too!
View attachment 93018View attachment 93019
Current setup without a stabilizer but I plan on buying one this weekend. This thing is a beast and I honestly couldn’t pass up the new switch weight technology when I was comparing the Vertix to the Traverse. Shot an ok group out at 40 but still playing around with the sight. You can’t go wrong with Mathews this year.
I really did like shooting the Vertix too, but opted for the Traverse being a bit taller.

Well I'm sitting here waiting to go hunt. Couldnt sleep this morning.

Picked up my arrows yesterday, and pulled the trigger on a Carter Just B Cuz. Really liking it so far, shot for several hours with it yesterday.
Nice thing is the arrows came in within a few grains of my other arrows which was the idea so I dont have to adjust my sight much at all.

Also got my new broadheads all set up, Iron Wills are shooting a couple inches high right now at 20. Going to work on that today, but the deadmeat BMP flies right with the field points.

Hopefully I'll have an update with some pork on the ground in a few hours. .
1f542285b2ff87ddcaa93fd60a5aee99.jpg

Pigs did not cooperate today. Did however adjust my rest to get the iron wills shooting with my field points.

Can't wait to put one through something.

If you use the wrong pin to try out your Iron Will broadheads at 40 yards it will go right the **** over the target and into the mud, you will have to sacrifice a toothbrush in the hotel room to clean it, and you will have to resharpen it. lol

Next two went right into the center though. So far the are shooting very well it seems like. Going to shoot them at 50 and 60 tomorrow.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
There's a fuller thread on here about my frustrations with my previous release (Max Pro 4) that I now exchanged for a Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper. Got out today to wring it out to good effect.

35yds
IMG_20190326_172451.jpg

Today I tried shooting the iron wills at 40 and 50.

They were hitting a good bit right so I started tweaking my rest. Seemed like every group I would throw a couple of the broadheads out though, or have everything looking good for one volley, make another adjustment then it seemed like I went backwards.
Finally had to just pack it in for the day and hope for better results tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
No pictures to show, but I got my VPA 100gr 3 blade unvented heads shooting with my field points out to 50yds with just a few rightward tweaks of the rest.

Looking forward to the Cold Bow Challenge; calling it now at 50yds.

The Tooth of the Arrow 1 3/16" 4 blade was not wanting to cooperate as well; still hanging left and showing some up-down variations. I think I'd need more than 3 blazers to steer that consistently. If it shoots well at 20yds, I might try sticking it through a turkey.

Nice shooting! I'm looking forward to getting to a 3d course once it warms up around here.

What's the total weight on that arrow?
I finally shot a 3D today with the Traverse and it was not pretty Haha.

Was throwing them high, left, right, etc. All me, not sure what the deal was. Shot perfectly fine at the range right after.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk