New "MOUNTAIN WARRIOR" pack from Kifaru

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a Ultra 6000 killer. And I was in the market for an Ultra 6000 next summer. Guess I have a new pack at the top of my list now. Is the main bag detachable from the frame for meat hauling with a load shelf? And is the frame a Bikini? I was looking at your line and wishing you had an slightly lighter weight option... Now I'm wishing I'd have put this on my Christmas list.

dotman

WKR
Looks like a Ultra 6000 killer. And I was in the market for an Ultra 6000 next summer. Guess I have a new pack at the top of my list now. Is the main bag detachable from the frame for meat hauling with a load shelf? And is the frame a Bikini? I was looking at your line and wishing you had an slightly lighter weight option... Now I'm wishing I'd have put this on my Christmas list.

All non internal frame pack bags fit on all Kifaru frames so yup it will fit on a bikini, great thing about kifaru is the new works with the old.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider

Scratch that. I was thinking the weight/cost was for a whole backpack, not simply a bag to put on a frame. Makes a lot more sense for just a bag though. I was wondering how they managed to get such a light setup compared to the rest of their line.

If Kifaru could come out with a real lightweight backpack, 4 pounds or under for in the 4,500 to 6,000 size range, that would be very interesting. I'd by into it, anyway.

Scratch that. I was thinking the weight/cost was for a whole backpack, not simply a bag to put on a frame. Makes a lot more sense for just a bag though. I was wondering how they managed to get such a light setup compared to the rest of their line.

If Kifaru could come out with a real lightweight backpack, 4 pounds or under for in the 4,500 to 6,000 size range, that would be very interesting. I'd by into it, anyway.

Did you ever see the KU line? About as light as it gets

Jimbob

WKR
Now that I like. Not a fan of the EMR or AMR or nomad, I don't like pockets out the side. Maybe cause I had a bad experience with a Eberlestock J104 LOL.

Highcamp or mountain warrior would fit me just fine.

dotman

WKR
Yeah, I get that. I wasn't paying attention. I still think they should push it to get a pack in at 4 pounds or under. The Highcamp come close, but not quite close enough.

My old Kifaru KU 5200 was just under 3lbs, you should try to find one. Now I prefer a tad more durable material but that jumps the weight up.

MattB

WKR

The HC 4800/bikini combo is listed at 4# 7 oz. I don't think a guy can realistically expect anything lighter with the weight carrying capacity of that combination.

Rizzy

WKR
Would the end of a spotting or tripod fit in the water bottle pouch? I like the mini pocket/water bottle pouch/mini pocket configuration on these new packs.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
The HC 4800/bikini combo is listed at 4# 7 oz. I don't think a guy can realistically expect anything lighter with the weight carrying capacity of that combination.

That might be true, but I'm only 134 and have pretty bad ankles and knees, so 60# is probably my top carry weight. For my needs, dropping an extra half pound/three quarters of a pound from pack weight is better than unlimited load capacity I'll never use.

The Ultra 6000 is supposed to be good to what, up to 150#, though some folks doubt their durability. The Paradox packs, which look way better, should carry as much.

To be clear, I'm not trying to beat up on Kifaru by any means. They make good products and have good customer service. Lots of dudes have crazy brand loyalty to the rhino, which means they are doing things right. I think it's a niche issue. Kifaru's niche seems to be bullet-proof, carry anything. I'm personally looking for an ultralight back I can carry the occasional heavy load in. Other companies probably fill my needs a little better, but I am interested in Kifaru to some extent because of that brand loyalty they engender.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Probably the total width of the bag in the Eberle and Nomad. The Mountain Warrior does not get as wide as those when fully stuffed.
Jimbob, curious what experience? Thought I wanted a nomad.. But this really has me second guessing.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want a sub 4lb pack that can handle 100lbs, we can do that pretty easy.

I can take a Timberline 2 and put arrows inside the stays and mod a couple other things as well to get you to a sub 4lb pack.

Having said that, you could probably get away with a backpackers pack and be just fine. We do build thigns to last and try to come in at a realistic weight that gives you comfort, durability and functionality. We don't want our packs to leave you stranded in the middle of the wilderness because the frame snapped in half...just to save 16oz's.

Feel free to contact me at anytime and I will whip you up a UL pack that will meet your needs.
That might be true, but I'm only 134 and have pretty bad ankles and knees, so 60# is probably my top carry weight. For my needs, dropping an extra half pound/three quarters of a pound from pack weight is better than unlimited load capacity I'll never use.

The Ultra 6000 is supposed to be good to what, up to 150#, though some folks doubt their durability. The Paradox packs, which look way better, should carry as much.

To be clear, I'm not trying to beat up on Kifaru by any means. They make good products and have good customer service. Lots of dudes have crazy brand loyalty to the rhino, which means they are doing things right. I think it's a niche issue. Kifaru's niche seems to be bullet-proof, carry anything. I'm personally looking for an ultralight back I can carry the occasional heavy load in. Other companies probably fill my needs a little better, but I am interested in Kifaru to some extent because of that brand loyalty they engender.