New to elk hunting in OR

ONI-ONE

FNG
How's it going guys? I'm new to this forum and elk in general. I'm from Hawai'i originally where I could hunt every day, sheep, pigs, goats and deer on some islands. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some info on hunting OTC elk in Oregon. I'm in the military stationed at Travis AFB in California and can't afford to go through an outfitter and get all the way out to Colorado or Idaho so pretty much going to try and backpack it. Just looking for somewhere to start. I'm going to put in the work as much as I can with scouting and researching maps/ forums but its pretty nerve racking doing it solo with no real info on areas. I know its basically taboo to do this but I guess I need to start somewhere. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction in advance.

damer

FNG
I just moved to eastern idaho from north east oregon. What areas are you looking at hunting? A few of the outfitters I know will pack your meat out for a fee if that's something your interested in?

Steel4sam

FNG
How's it going guys? I'm new to this forum and elk in general. I'm from Hawai'i originally where I could hunt every day, sheep, pigs, goats and deer on some islands. I was wondering if anyone could help me with some info on hunting OTC elk in Oregon. I'm in the military stationed at Travis AFB in California and can't afford to go through an outfitter and get all the way out to Colorado or Idaho so pretty much going to try and backpack it. Just looking for somewhere to start. I'm going to put in the work as much as I can with scouting and researching maps/ forums but its pretty nerve racking doing it solo with no real info on areas. I know its basically taboo to do this but I guess I need to start somewhere. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction in advance.
Archery or rifle?