Newfoundland Outfitter questions/Recommendation

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have been doing some research on all of the different outfitters in Newfoundland and it is getting overwhelming. I initially wanted to do a brooks range DIY caribou hunt, however, my father in-law will be joining me and his health will not allow him to do the Brooks Range hunt. Also moose are at the top of his bucket list so I think that a Newfoundland hunt will be the best opportunity for us to score a couple bull moose. I have seen victoria outfitters recommended on here and also effords hunting was recommended and a rokslide membor posted a nice B&C woodland caribou and 45" moose that he got with effords. Here are my questions

1: Any other outfitter recommendations?
2: Is the newfoundland fly-in hunts worth the additional $2,000 over the lodge based hunts? The lodge based hunts are more in our budgets however the fly-in hunts do sound much more appealing. I would pay the $2,000 if I thought that it would greatly increase our odds at a 40" plus moose.
3: Has anyone heard of or used deep valley outfitters?

sorry if it seems like I am asking all of this to take the easy way out, however, I have spent quite a long time researching all of the different outfitters and it seems that they are all offering about the same thing. With my limited knowledge of moose hunting and extremely limited knowledge of Newfoundland I am not sure if some of them are in better areas than others.

Thanks!

Newfoundlandbiggamehunting.com Hunted with them this year, 4 out of 7 hunters tagged nice bulls 1 small bull and 1 cow. So 6out of 7 hunters tagged and the 7th had shots also. They do stress that any moose is a trophy and it really is. The cabin is nice and the homemade meals are excellent. The thing about fly in hunts, i think you are stuck in that one area and if its not the first few years of operation there it gets to slim pickings. They also do caribou hunts.

OP
awaldro7

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Newfoundlandbiggamehunting.com Hunted with them this year, 4 out of 7 hunters tagged nice bulls 1 small bull and 1 cow. So 6out of 7 hunters tagged and the 7th had shots also. They do stress that any moose is a trophy and it really is. The cabin is nice and the homemade meals are excellent. The thing about fly in hunts, i think you are stuck in that one area and if its not the first few years of operation there it gets to slim pickings. They also do caribou hunts.

Thanks for the information. I called them and they were booked out for the 2017 season. I ended up booking a ground based lodge hunt with Effords Hunting Adventures. Did you ship your meat home, drive it home, or fly it?

I am now in stages of planning on what gear to bring. This is my first big hunt other than a whitetail/wolf hunt in Ontario twice. I will be taking my Browning Bar Safari 300 Win Mag. I am debating between 180 gr accubonds, partitions, or TTSX. I need to purchase a nice set of quite rain gear and Lacross Burly or Muck boots also before I go.

Is there anything out of the ordinary or absolute must haves that you all would recommend for gear? It seems that this trip will not be extremely gear intensive and the main thing will be having good clothing, boots, binos, and rifle.

Actually just got my meat back this week. Butchering and shipping cost were 1200$. You have the right idea for must haves, Best/quietest rain gear you can afford, good boots, and be good shot oh and be prepared for alot of walking. Have fun

mlucashr

FNG
I hunted with Westwood outfitters out of Doyle's NF last November. Top notch outfit. Don't let people scare you away from this during your research. Yes NF has a lot of guys that do 'road hunt'/handicapped type stuff. But your hunt is your hunt with Westwood. We were so deep into a couple of areas on foot that my guide had never even seen it and he'd been hunting there 25 years. Very remote cabin style stay; off grid. Accommodations were top notch for the price. Stewart and Grace do an amazing job of making sure you get what you want out of it. There are certain times of the year when they shoot larger bulls. Don't ask me why. I would discuss in full what your expectations are for a 'trophy' with any outfitter in NF. The fly ins will be worth it if you want to increase your chances of shooting a 50" bull. And a 50-55" IS a trophy there. I will be going back soon as I can. I guarantee you will have the opportunity to kill a bull. Probably many different bulls/moose you don't have to shoot a raghorn but my buddy and I shot two 30-35" 10 and 12 pointers and were tickled with our first moose hunt.

Westwoodoutfitters.com is the website. Not sure what the current prices are but they are extremely affordable. PM me with anymore questions. Especially about getting your meat back. We had that on lock. Driving would be the easiest but we brought every pound of meat back with no spoilage to Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rs3003

WKR
The hide away lodge. Out of Grand Falls Windsor. We drove and had no problem bringing back meat. The can get you to a spike camp with a helicopter if you want. Great hunting, guides, lodge, and food.