Nock high tear

Zac

WKR
I've got a nock high tear I can't fix I turned and turned the top control cable until the tear actually started to worsen. The string was brand new Gas Ghost, rest is center shot. Bow is Hoyt Defiant DFX cam.

stonewall

WKR
Tim gillingham has a great video series on gold tip YouTube channel. I’d check that out

Also get foot powder spray. Spray all over fletching and see if getting contact

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got a nock high tear I can't fix I turned and turned the top control cable until the tear actually started to worsen.

When you say you "turned and turned" the top control cable.......were you twisting or untwisting? Twisting (making the control cable shorter) is going to move your nocking point higher, which will make a high tear worse.

Trial153

WKR
Super common with DFX cams, really a problem with their design. Hoyt should have admited they screwed the pooch on them and offerred some amends

Trial153

WKR
Mine tuned fine and easy.
If your shot bare shafts clean your lucky. About half did, the others had a persistant nock high tear with a bare shaft that you needed to do back flips to get out. Either shooting with zero heel contact or having the lower mod set one off the top.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
Guess I got lucky but I'll take it.

edit, It was the #3

Last edited:
What # DFX cam is it?

The original #2 cam that Hoyt had had too much vertical Nock travel in it. If you have the later 2.1 cam then you should be ok.

FWIW the #3 cam was a sweet shooter and I had two that were the easiest tuning bows I’ve ever had. Wish I still had one of them actually.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
When you say you "turned and turned" the top control cable.......were you twisting or untwisting? Twisting (making the control cable shorter) is going to move your nocking point higher, which will make a high tear worse.
No kidding, my shop told me to turn it tighter, I hope you are right, thanks.

What rest? Limb driven may need a little more speed by adjusting the connection location.

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
This might be a stupid question but am I adjusting the control cable when I am trying to time the cams? I'm assuming I get the timing right and then start tuning. I heard the DFX cam tunes better if the top cam hits first?

satchamo

WKR
I’ve found more often than not on nock high you are under spined...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you tied the rest cable close to the axle, move it towards the riser. That will speed up the rest and possibly get rid of your nock high issue. Try moving it about an inch and go from there.