"NOT" The best sheep hunt ever.

Cramer

FNG
Awesome story! Of course we all want to be successful but the experience is what drives me. Looks like you guys made some memories for sure.

Shrek

WKR
Thanks for sharing a not so spectacular hunt. Reading many of the hunt stories here you might think it always ends with success. This is very real and it was still a great time with your son in spectacular country.

Bob L.

FNG
Loved it. Thank you for taking me a long. My father lives a 1000 miles away from me for the last 8 years and we try to get together for hunts annually. There is nothing finer.
God Bless

akrdkill

WKR
its memories like that with your son that live forever steve & can never be replaced...so glad you too got the time together, sheep or no sheep

Snyd

WKR
Oofta...Brutal.... Glad to hear you were able to overcome the medical issue and that the river incident didn't turn in to a situation. I've had my close calls over the years in the Sheep Mtns so hearing your report here really hits close. I know how things can turn quickly. It sounds like you made some right decisions in spite of a couple not so right ones, I know how that goes to. Good on ya.

For you guys that have never hunted in remote wilderness, this medical issue and falling in a river have potentially much greater consequence than on many other types of hunts. It's hard to express the gravity of the situation these guys were in. Things like rain, snow, cold, sickness, injury, hypothermia, etc. are all magnified by a significant factor when you are in the remote sheep mtns. You don't just walk out to the road/trailhead or get on the cell phone or get to the other camp down the valley, etc. when things go sideways. You are on your own.

Yup, the Father Son thing is something to be cherished for sure and getting a ram or two is always great but it's only part of the whole equation.

I don't have to tell Stid this... he knows..... But this hunt could have been a Father or Son's worst nightmare and ended in tragedy. Thank the Lord for The Fathers Hand on you guys. Talk about a Father and Son's experience!

Peace

Bighorse

WKR
Glad you made it out fine. Your sons new house and the comforts of your own home will be appeciated much much more. It's not like you needed another ram anyway. You did need some alone time with your kin. Sorry about the illness garbage! No fun at all.
Cheers

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
It's not like you needed another ram anyway.
Cheers

You sound like my wife. :) :) :)

Killing a Ram was just the excuse,, As you eluded to, I have taken my share and neither of us were really worried about just killing something. We only took a sheep tag each and I was only interested in getting him on one and maybe the mythical 40 incher would always make my heart skip a beat, but Zach would not have limited himself to a bow if a kill was the first priority.

A ram with a bow or a 40 incher,,, yea we were probably coming home light good weather or not and please understand I'm not upset or disappointed in any way. This hunt only made him appreciate the last one we had together where everything just fell into place. He now knows why I carry all that extra gear or extra fuel, dry clothes. Easy to pack for and carry out a hunt when all goes to plan,, it is how you handle things when it all goes sideways that makes or breaks a trip.

We head into these adventures to have fun,, there comes a time when it is not fun anymore and then there is times when it can be dangerous. Being able to recognize the difference comes with experience. You don't want to call it quits too soon , but you need to know when to lean to the safe side. Gravity and cold water can kill quickly and I will always lean to the safer side in these situations.

He always says to treat him like any other hunter,, he will never understand until he is a father himself... But that is simply not possible, not for me. When I look at him I will always see that little boy that needs Dad to take care of him. I would never take the same risk with him or my wife that I would alone or with anther hunter.

Maybe he will take me next time. :) Since he has a couple hunts under his belt, maybe the 3rd time will be the lucky charm.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Steve,

Always enjoy reading your posts. THe odds of us ever meeting are slim but you are exactly that type I guy I would love share a campfire with.
All the best with your future plans sir👊

Steve,

Thanks for sharing! I truly look forward to reading the documentaries of your trips! Your wisdom and experience in life and hunting is and inspiration to me. You do a tremendous job of capturing the moment with your pictures and descriptive writing. I admire you for your deep appreciation of making it more than a hunting trip, but using the time to strengthen the bond between a father and son in a way that you and your son will never forget. Although we desire to be successful, it is the times that we are not that renews the challenge in us to come back the next year. Truly glad to see a father and son sharing the passion of hunting and creating memories and stories that will never be forgotten. Take advantage of every opportunity to make memories, we only have a limited number of sunrises left. God Bless, I hope to make it to Alaska to do a Moose in the near future and would love to get a chance to met you if the opportunity presents itself.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
Stid2677, Always great reading about your adventures, it really sucks being sick. Were you ever able to fix the problem with the Exo 5500 swaying? Just wondering?

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Stid2677, Always great reading about your adventures, it really sucks being sick. Were you ever able to fix the problem with the Exo 5500 swaying? Just wondering?

We never did find a way to stop it, did get a bit better when we put the bow on the back instead of on top. Could be he had it loaded to far back. 5500 is small for this kind of hunt, so some of it may be user and not the pack. He did really like the pockets and design of the bag and really liked the stretchy pockets.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
shit, thats a hunt if i ever heard it. Killing just complicates things sometimes...albeit our excuse to go...but IMO every sheep hunter should endure 2 failed attempts to harvest before they get to it. It makes the big picture so much more crisp when it arrives on his frontal lobe.

Good for you brother. I hope to see ya this winter or spring, stud.

LB

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
shit, thats a hunt if i ever heard it. Killing just complicates things sometimes...albeit our excuse to go...but IMO every sheep hunter should endure 2 failed attempts to harvest before they get to it. It makes the big picture so much more crisp when it arrives on his frontal lobe.

Good for you brother. I hope to see ya this winter or spring, stud.

LB

Thanks Brother,, that's hunting, if it was EZ every time it would not be the same. PM your number and I call and stop by so we can chat.