NXS 2.5-10 on a long action?

The little NXS checks all the boxes for my specific needs on the next scope purchase. I keep hearing folks talk about them being a PITA to mount on a long action. Anyone care to chime in either way? Rifle is a LA with a split integral rail, 1 slot in the rear and 4 in the front.

Last edited:
You may just need to try it. I had one on a long action Kimber Montana mounted with Talley direct mount rings and it was ok for me

JFK

WKR
What action are you trying to put it on? Some LA’s are longer than others. I have a shv 3-10 on a long action, which I believe has the same length tube as the nxs 2.5-10. Mounting length of 5.1” ish inches. It went on but took some tinkering with bases and rings to make it work. I ended up with two piece Burris pic bases and Warne mountain tech low rings. Seekins would not work. Rifle was Sauer 100 which uses R700 hole spacing and footprint for bases.

No bueno for me. I wanted to put the baby NXS on my christensen ridgeline FFT in 280 AI and the only way it would work was if I used a rail. I really wanted to keep it as light as possible and had hawkins hybrids lined up. Ended up going with the trijicon credo hx 2.5-15x42 and am very happy with my set up.

You can call Nightforce and they will let you know if it is doable or not.

peekaboo

FNG
Well it might be tricky with those split rails. This is what it looks like on a SA with one piece rail. IMG_5013.jpegThere isn’t much wiggle room, but some thinner rings should work in your favor.

Kurts86

WKR
The baby NXS did not work out for me on a long action Sako A7 with split bases. You may need to try Spuhr Cantilever rings.

The little NXS checks all the boxes for my specific needs on the next scope purchase. I keep hearing folks talk about them being a PITA to mount on a long action. Anyone care to chime in either way? Rifle is a LA with a split integral rail, 1 slot in the rear and 4 in the front.
See photo of medium-length Ruckus receiver (XM+) with split rail and NF 2.5-10. It's almost maxed-out rearward.

Note that the NF's front tube span is short so can be very limiting on a LA without a full rail - it barely works on my receiver. My hunch is that you won't have enough tube length range to make it work on a split rail. One nod for the SS 3-9 is tube length compatibility.

Screen Shot 2024-05-13 at 3.21.22 PM.png

peekaboo

FNG
Might be a better option so you don't go through the hassle of trying to mount the NXS.

Would you mind posting a picture showing where your rings ended up on the rail? That might really help me imagine how it would fit on mine. Thanks.
not the most helpful photo. But I think you’d have really shitty eye relief if you did somehow manage to make it work with the NXS. I guess it was a good thing I ended up going AnTi instead of AnTi X.

Attachments

• IMG_2222.jpeg
    IMG_2222.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 23
OP
W
not the most helpful photo. But I think you’d have really shitty eye relief if you did somehow manage to make it work with the NXS. I guess it was a good thing I ended up going AnTi instead of AnTi X.
Interestingly enough all my optics are mounted waaaaaaaaaay farther forward than yours is in that picture. Most people tell me it's wrong but that's what fits me and I'm not changing it.

Interestingly enough all my optics are mounted waaaaaaaaaay farther forward than yours is in that picture. Most people tell me it's wrong but that's what fits me and I'm not changing it.
That’s interesting. I think it may have to do with the longer LoP on the XLR (not sure what stock you are running). If it was a shorter stock I’m sure I’m could move it forward a decent amount. Curious though, from my photo it looks like there could be a chance yours may fit if pushed all the way forward.