Off season for the dogs

Once the water warms to above 65degrees, my favorite drill for young retrievers can be done
in any farm pond and 2 bumpers.
I like this drill because it teaches and maintains important concepts such as
1) treading water and focusing on the handler,
2) change direction after each whistle stop,
3) casting and lining from new unique origins to new unique destinations.

rbljack

WKR
Now that we got him the HRC started title, the next few months will be water work, lots of heal work, exercise before it gets too hot, Casting training on land/ Cast to a pile, Mini T, T Pattern, etc. Once we start getting HOT (here in west texas) we will tail things off for the heat of summer, but just maintain in prep for Sep Dove season. OH....and we plan to do the Rattlesnake Avoidance Seminar in April too.

OMB

WKR
I was about to start figuring out what I wanted to do for off season work with my 2 year old setter, and was reminded this week I had a handful of birds left on my account at my local club. So we're going to get one final hunt in tomorrow afternoon.

I didn't hunt her on pen birds until late age 1, she was an absolute rock star over 10 days out west on sharpies and huns last fall as a 2 year old, kept it up over the winter on pheasants, and I think I'm going to finally let her loose on grouse and woodcock in the Northwoods this fall. If we hadn't welcomed a baby in the fall that would have happened sooner.

Big part of the offseason journey this year is deciding when and where I'm getting the next one. Ideally have the next pup lined up for 2026 so probably need to start making some decisions.

Attachments

• IMG_4835.jpg
    IMG_4835.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 16

jmez

WKR
Last day for wild birds for a while. Found several pairs of huns and Sharpies today. Young dog pointed a pair of huns but didn't hold long enough to get a good pic. Old dog had several finds. On to pigeons now.

2090e1d222c400b06e1df18f6d03bada.jpg
3c313ba9aef5aa2cf60afb29dcf27e37.jpg

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Weather dependent the club is having a training day tomorrow. One of the members has judged the Grand so im wanting to do some set ups that would resemble that. Goal is to go run the grand this fall in St. Louis. The spring grand starts Saturday got a bunch of people im watching there hoping they can get a pass.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Between regular life and my kids sports/dance I don't have much time to train ... I have a 2 year old setter, the main thing I try to do for most of the off season is make sure he doesn't get fat and keep him active. We'll start knocking the rust off for hunting season in August/September. I don't run trials, as long as he points and holds until flush that's all I care about, usually not too much to work on.

Between regular life and my kids sports/dance I don't have much time to train ... I have a 2 year old setter, the main thing I try to do for most of the off season is make sure he doesn't get fat and keep him active. We'll start knocking the rust off for hunting season in August/September. I don't run trials, as long as he points and holds until flush that's all I care about, usually not too much to work on.

Nothing wrong with that either.

Seems like lots of people have gotten hyper focused on ribbons and tests lately, not that there’s anything wrong with that. In fact, have at it! But plenty of good dogs out there that only work seasonally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like lots of people have gotten hyper focused on ribbons and tests lately, not that there’s anything wrong with that. In fact, have at it! But plenty of good dogs out there that only work seasonally.

I dont think we will run anymore tests but will train like we are so hunting is more enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I dont think we will run anymore tests but will train like we are so hunting is more enjoyable

That’s how we do it, too.

I enjoy challenging the dog and myself to do bigger and better things. But I also enjoy being home on Sunday to go to church and spend time with family.

I really don’t fault the guys out there running them, though. Takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get it done every weekend. Speaking of, the grand is running right now and I wish I was there to enjoy the dog work and all the knowledgeable people.

That’s how we do it, too.

I enjoy challenging the dog and myself to do bigger and better things. But I also enjoy being home on Sunday to go to church and spend time with family.

I really don’t fault the guys out there running them, though. Takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get it done every weekend. Speaking of, the grand is running right now and I wish I was there to enjoy the dog work and all the knowledgeable people.

Do they have video feed for the Grand like SRS does? thats super cool to watch

I am retired so train retrievers with a wonderful amateur group every weekday here in Montana. Usually a quad or triple marks setup which you can run as 3-4 singles, single and double, double double depending on the dog.
Then usually 3 blinds. Lots of fun and we are blessed to train on a different
property each weekday.

Not that I’m aware of. Would be pretty sweet if they did though.

SRS is one I hope to go watch in person one day.

rbljack

WKR

This was our first year trying the hunt tests. Id swear it actually set us back a bit in the training and discipline. During my labs last test (thankfully he passed and got his started title) , we had to work thru 3 "no birds" in a row.

For those curious; a no bird is when the bird in the launcher/slingshot doesnt get thrown out of the launcher and end up near the targeted location. Judges wont allow a dog to be released to retrieve a bird that isnt launched properly and "hangs up" in the launcher.

They were having problems with the launcher and the young scouts that were loading them. Having to work thru the "line" and holding blinds 3 times was a meltdown for my lab gunner. By the third one heel was completely out the window. He normally listens well, but he had "too much crack" for him to remain in control....LOL. ive literally given him a few weeks off with no bumper work. We will go back to heeling drills, and then start back with bumpers. From there, we work on casting.

But with all that said....for those interested in starting hunt tests....know this going in; its expensive!! For us atleast, we have to drive 3 to 5 hours to find them, then get hotels for the two day events. Add to that, gas, food, hotel fees, hunt test fees, etc and it adds up quickly.

KurtR

WKR

No there is a website to check scores is about it and the hrc grand facebook page.

Hope to be in St. Louis running it this fall.

We had a good training day to day ran a delayed triple with a poison bird between the 2nd and 3rd bird out . Dog did pretty good knocking the rust off.