Off season for the dogs

Training my lab here in Texas. He’s 17 months and is a fire cracker has all the drive in the world. Curious how long it has taken some more seasoned dog trainers to get remote sit ironed out. He knows the command and does it well on lead and off lead at my side. At distance though he’s brushing me off and slowly sitting.

Training my lab here in Texas. He’s 17 months and is a fire cracker has all the drive in the world. Curious how long it has taken some more seasoned dog trainers to get remote sit ironed out. He knows the command and does it well on lead and off lead at my side. At distance though he’s brushing me off and slowly sitting.

Have you reinforced the command using your ecollar on lead and by your side?

First what program are you following and where are you at in the program. with out having a good remote sit its hard to even get to the point of running t or three handed casting?

With out more details i would start here

Do you have a long check cord and leather gloves. You send him blow the whistle and put the brakes on with the check cord for him. Then you start over laying with the ecollar . I would not move on or do anything else until you have this done with out a good crisp sit on whistle its very hard to run advanced concepts. As Chris Jobman who is one of the best in the country says if you dont have sit you dont have sh!t.

Yup sure have. He’s just slow to sit when we are at a distance. He did much better yesterday finally saw improvements!

KurtR has you started right there. Don't rush through the sit to get on to "cooler" things. Another add-on idea to roll around, make sitting quick a rewarding game to the dog.

KurtR has you started right there. Don't rush through the sit to get on to "cooler" things. Another add-on idea to roll around, make sitting quick a rewarding game to the dog.
That really helped to get a quick crisp sit. I would fake throw fun bumpers and when the dog ran out i hit the whistle the faster he sat and looked at me he then got his fun bumper

That really helped to get a quick crisp sit. I would fake throw fun bumpers and when the dog ran out i hit the whistle the faster he sat and looked at me he then got his fun bumper

I do the exact same thing. I will also carry that fun bumper over to "T" and add it in on a dog occasionally, especially when attitude is taking a dip.

Can we just keep on going for a moment with this sitting on the whistle thing?

IMO: Timing with the collar correction is pretty important. We want to convey to the dog that the whistle is not a correction, it's a command, the running after the whistle is what is getting corrected. So to put in useable terms, send the dog to the back pile - WHISTLE - dog continues on towards pile - COLLAR PRESSURE - dog stops, sits - PRESSURE OFF - Whistle again - "verbal praise" and then a cast. *The pause between the whistle and the correction should be quick but a fair enough time for the dog to react to the whistle. You must read the body language of the dog to see what his/her intent is upon hearing the whistle.

Loopy or slow sit dogs get the same treatment above. Dogs making an effort to stop momentum and sit do not get any pressure.

I think doing it this way conveys the right message and results in a dog with a much better attitude on being stopped. I want a dog hearing the whistle, spinning to stop and looking at me with the expression, "Where to now, boss?"

What are some good resource for new handlers like myself?

Was gifted a five year old English Setter and would love to know what all I can do with him this offseason. He’s a hunting machine but doesn’t seem to fit the NAVHDA qualifications.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go to your local pointing dog club.. If you need to work on Whoa, perfection kennels is a great resource to start. Get through yard work then go to pigeon work.

We just finished up post season training on Pairs, they’re going to be ass holes for a bit. Pup is off to Canada to train in July, Momma is gonna get bred here soon and head to MT for a couple of months once she dries up, and fat boy is going to hold down the couch and get some yard work.

Can we just keep on going for a moment with this sitting on the whistle thing?

IMO: Timing with the collar correction is pretty important. We want to convey to the dog that the whistle is not a correction, it's a command, the running after the whistle is what is getting corrected. So to put in useable terms, send the dog to the back pile - WHISTLE - dog continues on towards pile - COLLAR PRESSURE - dog stops, sits - PRESSURE OFF - Whistle again - "verbal praise" and then a cast. *The pause between the whistle and the correction should be quick but a fair enough time for the dog to react to the whistle. You must read the body language of the dog to see what his/her intent is upon hearing the whistle.

Loopy or slow sit dogs get the same treatment above. Dogs making an effort to stop momentum and sit do not get any pressure.

I think doing it this way conveys the right message and results in a dog with a much better attitude on being stopped. I want a dog hearing the whistle, spinning to stop and looking at me with the expression, "Where to now, boss?"
Timing and reading dogs is where the pros make their money. I have dug a couple holes with improper timing

I’m working on training my first ever dog, she turns 13 months in a few days and so far I’ve primarily just been doing basic obedience and retrieving stuff and I’ve taken her twice to do bird introductions with gunfire. She has zero hesitation around birds and actually does better retrieves with a live bird than she does with her bumpers.

She will sometimes play keep away with the bumpers in the back yard but but with birds it’s pretty much all business. For example this past weekend she ran down a bird for 150 yards and brought it 110 yards straight back to me. Except for the part where it kicked out of her mouth halfway back and she had to chase it down again, then came straight back.

The funny thing to me is that it seems like the more I have her out on birds the more she starts to point. She ended up pointing 4 of the 7 birds on her second time out though they were only brief points before she flushed them.
IMG_1192.jpegIMG_1193.jpeg

She also jumps high, even catching one of the Chukars so that is something we will have to watch for when actually hunting over her.

IMG_1148.jpeg

Overall this summer I am scheduled for two more bird courses where we will start shooting over her. I also want to get her to start swimming to increase her conditioning and more heel work and other training to get things shored up for hunting season.

River scored an NA 112 yesterday. Now on to force fetch and steadiness work this summer.

Has anyone done Perfection Kennels "Perfect Retrieve"? I've been following them on IG and listened to a couple of their podcasts. I really like their approach to training but haven't paid for their videos yet. I've done the standard FF ear pinch in the past but always looking to improve.
e63969cf7c3af56fc37686e41bdb4f29.jpg
9f96fbd113167967d1dc588cf46d214c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

River scored an NA 112 yesterday. Now on to force fetch and steadiness work this summer.

Has anyone done Perfection Kennels "Perfect Retrieve"? I've been following them on IG and listened to a couple of their podcasts. I really like their approach to training but haven't paid for their videos yet. I've done the standard FF ear pinch in the past but always looking to improve.
e63969cf7c3af56fc37686e41bdb4f29.jpg
9f96fbd113167967d1dc588cf46d214c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
congrats and gorgeous dog!

Back