Offer in on CO Cabin/NF land…what am I missing?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Pretty pumped. Took a small
step towards a life goal of purchasing some land in CO that backs to 410k acres of national forest. It’s 1hr 45min from our house and close to some ski resorts.

It has a perfectly capable (and actually pretty nice) cabin on it with a few storage sheds, etc.

Any lessons learned out there for 2nd homes or get away cabins I may be missing?

Love to get as smart on it as I can to mitigate any unforeseen risks.

Unless you have the time and ability for use and upkeep, it might be like the two happiest days when you get a boat - the day bought it and the day you sell it 😂.

Setting it up as an Air B&B might not be a bad idea for when it's not in use by you and for upkeep. Let temp tenants pay for its upkeep...

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I'd consider the feasibility of renting it out weekly to offset some ownership costs, but that can end up owning you too.
Yeah code allows it in the area with a permit that isn’t unreasonable. We will likely look into it.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Make sure you have legal easement to your own property. Seen it many time where the driveway runs through neighbor out front, with a handshake deal with the previous owner and now won’t give the new owner the same.
Good call. Working that but assuming so. It is book ended by public road and NF so should be good.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure to check out the water access for the property. Sometimes 2 parcels will share a well, for instance, and there needs to be a well agreement recorded with the county (e.g., who maintains the pumps, mutual access, etc.).

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Make sure to check out the water access for the property. Sometimes 2 parcels will share a well, for instance, and there needs to be a well agreement recorded with the county (e.g., who maintains the pumps, mutual access, etc.).
Appears to be well (and pump heating element) on site. Inspection will reveal that. Checks with permits too.

Brooks

WKR
Is there electric on the property, is there internet service, is there cell phone service on it? I live in an area where a lot of people have a cabin or second home and some of them don’t get any of those services and end up selling.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Is there electric on the property, is there internet service, is there cell phone service on it? I live in an area where a lot of people have a cabin or second home and some of them don’t get any of those services and end up selling.
Electric is there. Gas. Water (well). Septic. Plenty of cell service (surprisingly). Will likely either pay for a hotspot for internet or use starlink.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
As a fellow remote property owner, this is a great way to get your neighbors to hate you.
Don’t want that. Want to be able to shoot off my property onto the NF land during the off season. Will make friends with adjoining two neighbors for sure. Beer bribes.