Offer in on CO Cabin/NF land…what am I missing?

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Depends on the county regs for septic. Where my cabin is, the septic has to be “engineered” and plans submitted and approved by county. Be sure and check on that.
Area is pretty rocky as well. Guessing if I did it I’d need a backhoe at least and wonder how deep it would have to be to get below freeze line.

drra

FNG
House on property sounds like a sweet deal. I purchased land without a house thinking of building some day and sold as it was way to expensive to put in the infrastructure (it was a great place to go camping and hunting for a few years). If it doesn't work out you should be able to sell and recover your money +.

brings up another good point with any home or property purchase, get to know your town officials, if possible before you purchase. I had an issue with our town inspector as did most of us in the town. he never wanted to approve anything, however our argument was quick once he realized I knew more than him on the subject. you don't want to find out that you can't do the work because the town doesn't allow it.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
We Airbnb/VRBO ours when we're not there. You may get some disgruntled neighbors, but I've killed all mine with kindness, and they like me now. Most are 2nd home people as well so in my opinion they didn't have much of a leg to stand on when they were annoyed with me. Your land=you do what you want with it as long as it's legal.

One Pro-Airbnb argument isn't just the money that's coming in. It's nice having cleaners there in most times once/week and a handyman that helps maintain the property. There's technically more wear and tear on it, but I'd rather have people there if anything breaks than get a big surprise after not being there for a month.

Pretty sure he said 400k acres, as in 400,000. Should be good to go!
Ahhh, my bad. 400k, yeah, that'll take some time to get through all of that!

$12-25k for well and $25k for septic (with leech). Fingers crossed it goes through and those estimates are accurate. If so still a good deal and meets needs.
After just doing a well and septic this year on our cabin, I'd say those numbers are fairly accurate. The well simply depends on the depth. One thing you can do to get an idea on how deep your well might end up being is to go to the state website for wells and permits and search for that area. You should be able to figure out how deep the neighbor's wells are. Obviously, the depths can vary from spot to spot, but that should give you a good idea at least. Our well ended up being about $18k for 240'.

Our property is also pretty rocky, and we had to do a fairly large septic, but luckily didn't need to jackhammer any rocks. The final cost of that septic came out at $15k, so I'd say you might be a little high on that price, but obviously prices can vary in different areas too.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to PM me.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Ahhh, my bad. 400k, yeah, that'll take some time to get through all of that!

After just doing a well and septic this year on our cabin, I'd say those numbers are fairly accurate. The well simply depends on the depth. One thing you can do to get an idea on how deep your well might end up being is to go to the state website for wells and permits and search for that area. You should be able to figure out how deep the neighbor's wells are. Obviously, the depths can vary from spot to spot, but that should give you a good idea at least. Our well ended up being about $18k for 240'.

Our property is also pretty rocky, and we had to do a fairly large septic, but luckily didn't need to jackhammer any rocks. The final cost of that septic came out at $15k, so I'd say you might be a little high on that price, but obviously prices can vary in different areas too.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to PM me.
I’ll probably hit you up DM and maybe pick your brain a bit more. Very similar.

Pulled neighboring well data already. 200-600’ range in general area (2000’ around). Hoping for the smaller depth obviously. $35/ft +$4k for casement was my quote.

The septic excavator is going to come out at the purchase inspection and scope the property and make sure he has the space for the field. It’s a narrow lot so I’m a bit concerned (and need 200’ from all nearby wells). We are very rocky as well.

If I can only get the seller to accept my offer. They are aloof at best. Missed every acceptance deadline thus far (including the one that expires in 30 min). Not making this processes easy. Sitting at a $10k divergence currently.

hunterjmj

WKR
When we bought our place we had a well inspection done and the guy has done so many wells in the area he could tell you all the depths of wells around us. I was interested because we're having another one put in, old one works good enough but output is low. Not sure about Colorado but I'd find out what type of septic you can have in your county. Those aren't cheap and depending on soil and perk tests it can get spendy. The county made us put 400' of drain field. We paid $14,500 for our septic.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
When we bought our place we had a well inspection done and the guy has done so many wells in the area he could tell you all the depths of wells around us. I was interested because we're having another one put in, old one works good enough but output is low. Not sure about Colorado but I'd find out what type of septic you can have in your county. Those aren't cheap and depending on soil and perk tests it can get spendy. The county made us put 400' of drain field.
County requires pressure/pumped septic. They aren’t cheap. Been given three quotes ~$25k.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
We have a small cabin that is on a Forest Service lease (99 year). None of the cabins in the comunity are permitted to have septics and have 1,000 gal holding tanks for sewage instead. Means how there is only 1 bathroom, it would be pretty easy to seperate the gray water from the shower and sinks vs the toilet. We were told that many of the owners simply installed a grey water septic on the down low and pump the solids periodically as needed. We've had the cabin for 4 years and have only pumped it 1x as it was full when we bought it and it was about $300-400 as I recall. It's not a very far drive and has easy access though. I'm sure that price varies considerably based on those factors.

Curious why does your system have to be on a pump? If you can't gravity, you're obviously stuck with pumping, which is just one more thing to fail at some point.

Last edited:
OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
We have a small cabin that is a (99 year) lease on Forest Service land. None of the cabins are permitted to have septics and have 1,000 gal holding tanks for sewage. Means how there is only 1 bathroom, it would be pretty easy to seperate the gray water from the shower and sinks vs the toilet. We were told that many of the owners simply installed a grey water septic on the down low and pump the solids periodically as needed. We've had the cabin for 4 years and have only pumped it 1x as it was full when we bought it and it was about $300-400 as I recall. It's not a very far drive and has easy access though. I'm sure that prive varies considerably based on those factors.

Curious why does your system have to be on a pump? If you can't gravity, you're obviously stuck with pumping, which is just one more thing to fail at some point.
That’s good info. I have a backup plan for grey similar to that. CO grey water rules are pretty strict but guessing tough to enforce.

Not sure about the septic pump. That is what the three septic contractors I have called mentioned as far as county code. Must force the septic through the soil via forced pumping. Uphill/ downhill doesn’t make a difference.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thanks for all the help so far. As of an hour ago we are finally under contract.

Here is my initial plan for water and to add a shower.

Intent is to provide water flow and shower capability.

1) current 1000g septic tank (no leech) will support 2x 1/2g per person toilet “events” per day and last ~200 use days between pumping ($800/ pump). I’m guessing that will last about 2 years which I think I’m good with.

2) I will dig a 3’ deep grey water leech setup 20’ from the house (YouTube was helpful) that will support sink and shower drainage. Min cost unless I need to rent a tractor.

3) initially I will install a 110g rain water tank under the house enclosed in an insulated box with a heat lamp. I will put the pump in there as well. I will insulate the line going into the house. I will divert water from the gutters into the tank with a few mesh filters. And install an overflow that will dump down hill. Will dump 5gal increments in during months with no rain. Can’t imagine using more than 50 gal in a single 2-3 day trip.

4) inside I’ll have an electric water heater (so we can easily adjust rheostat…won’t be hot and cold lines. Only hot). That line will flow to the shower and two sinks. We probably will keep the toilet manual water to keep the volume down for now.

5) drinking/cooking water will be via 5gal standing dispenser.

Will adjust fire and for functionality or freezing issues.

Thoughts?

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
How about some pics of this new place?
Not mine yet. Just one step closer. A few attached. Scenic photo is off back deck about 10’ higher than deck level.

Attachments

• 12B8BC7A-E15E-4751-934F-8FADCB014180.jpeg
    12B8BC7A-E15E-4751-934F-8FADCB014180.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 66BF2B1D-6BED-49FE-B4E1-E8766CE39C79.jpeg
    66BF2B1D-6BED-49FE-B4E1-E8766CE39C79.jpeg
    858 KB · Views: 88
  • CF2DBEDE-69CD-4396-9486-60F471EB5F2D.jpeg
    CF2DBEDE-69CD-4396-9486-60F471EB5F2D.jpeg
    842.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 1C3DDC79-FED7-443A-BD31-FBD1B86FC730.jpeg
    1C3DDC79-FED7-443A-BD31-FBD1B86FC730.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 86
  • A2B99BB2-E781-4F9D-A77F-239571671AD4.jpeg
    A2B99BB2-E781-4F9D-A77F-239571671AD4.jpeg
    855 KB · Views: 88
  • 3AC71855-B6A1-4D9C-AE3C-E8EC440BC18C.jpeg
    3AC71855-B6A1-4D9C-AE3C-E8EC440BC18C.jpeg
    574.9 KB · Views: 66
OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
inspection went well today. Another week or so. A few photos of the hunting grounds 200yds out back. Got to do a bit of exploring off property today. Every time I go up there I discover something better I like!

Attachments

• 8A87995D-5D1F-44C7-ACD6-35C8B2FCEFF3.jpeg
    8A87995D-5D1F-44C7-ACD6-35C8B2FCEFF3.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 29105A05-C1A7-4C84-B106-009F1E11450F.jpeg
    29105A05-C1A7-4C84-B106-009F1E11450F.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
We Airbnb/VRBO ours when we're not there. You may get some disgruntled neighbors, but I've killed all mine with kindness, and they like me now. Most are 2nd home people as well so in my opinion they didn't have much of a leg to stand on when they were annoyed with me. Your land=you do what you want with it as long as it's legal.

One Pro-Airbnb argument isn't just the money that's coming in. It's nice having cleaners there in most times once/week and a handyman that helps maintain the property. There's technically more wear and tear on it, but I'd rather have people there if anything breaks than get a big surprise after not being there for a month.
Agree 100%. Don’t worry about the neighbors. If they want to control what happens on the property they can buy it.