Offer in on CO Cabin/NF land…what am I missing?

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t want that. Want to be able to shoot off my property onto the NF land during the off season. Will make friends with adjoining two neighbors for sure. Beer bribes.

Beer won't make up for increased traffic, people and pressure in the area. I'd seriously reconsider any plans to VRBO or otherwise lease access to it. A lot of people, like me, buy those properties to get the F AWAY from people.

It of course depends on existing activity around. If everyone is already doing it, well, it's hard to not get in on the action then. On he other hand, I grew up learning two wrongs don't make a right. Ethics are a bitch!

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Beer won't make up for increased traffic, people and pressure in the area. I'd seriously reconsider any plans to VRBO or otherwise lease access to it. A lot of people, like me, buy those properties to get the F AWAY from people.

It of course depends on existing activity around. If everyone is already doing it, well, it's hard to not get in on the action then. On he other hand, I grew up learning two wrongs don't make a right. Ethics are a bitch!
Fair enough. I was actually joking in my early post btw. We may look to air bnb down the road but will base that on how the neighborhood is. That isn’t our primary plan and I actually expect it would be more pain then it’s worth. I have enough ideas and buddies who visit that we will hopefully make good use on our own and not want others there.

Hopefully the neighbors are cool.

Electric is there. Gas. Water (well). Septic. Plenty of cell service (surprisingly). Will likely either pay for a hotspot for internet or use starlink.
Starlink works awesome, we just switched to it from Viasat, less than 1/2 the cost and twice the functionality.

Getting serious about rodent control was the first thing we learned when we moved to a rural location. Our house had been rented for years prior to our purchase and this had been neglected. Seal up every crevice you can find and go nuclear on them until you don't see signs, then be religious about staying ahead of them.

Any thoughts to tankless in a place that gets cold and we won’t be at a ton. Sounds like the way to go.
Tankless work great and are easy to blow out for the winter.

Are you hoping to be able to hunt the 400 acres of NF? If so, I would make sure you have access to other areas to hunt as well. It sounds like a lot of room, but it doesn't take very long to hunt that whole area and if the animals aren't there and you've got nowhere else to go, it won't be very fun to hunt.

Tankless work great and are easy to blow out for the winter.

Are you hoping to be able to hunt the 400 acres of NF? If so, I would make sure you have access to other areas to hunt as well. It sounds like a lot of room, but it doesn't take very long to hunt that whole area and if the animals aren't there and you've got nowhere else to go, it won't be very fun to hunt.

Pretty sure he said 400k acres, as in 400,000. Should be good to go!

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Pretty sure he said 400k acres, as in 400,000. Should be good to go!
410k to be exact. Been chatting with rangers. Good to hunt.

Also within 30 min of three other units. One being OTC as a last resort.

Also was told today that I can’t snowmobile. I was frustrated but reason sound. It’s a winter big game area and they protect the game from external disturbances. I’m good with that and maybe more game opportunities.

Knew it was a game area per onx but wasn’t tracking restrictions based on that.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
My family has owned a 5 acre cabin property in a Colorado mountain neighborhood for 42 years and we hate short term rentals. Sounds like your situation might be different, but some of our hoa board members are pushing hard to turn it into a prim "insert skiing town" neighborhood for more appeal to the renters. Problem is the renters almost started a forest fire last year and frankly don't care about the land like we do. Just something to think about for you and your neighbors.

Hoa issues include an architectural committee proposal that would require everyone to submit a proposal to paint their shed... They even want to get rid of a geodesic home that has been around for decades because it doesn't fit the "aesthetic"

It sucks having an HOA in a place like that but it has it's perks... A private stocked trout pond.

Rant over... May not be at all related to this conversation.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Max size currently allowed by Colorado law is 110 gallons. Doesn't get you very far.
So we got outbid on primary property.

However one close by with same border access for about half the price we are hopefully about to be under contract on (second round of back and forth).

This place needs a well and only has a septic holding tank (not really suitable for grey water). Got estimates for both.

$12-25k for well and $25k for septic (with leech). Fingers crossed it goes through and those estimates are accurate. If so still a good deal and meets needs.

The “research” part of all this and you alls input has been great.

Never looked into rural things like wells and septics systems. Also had some great conversations with locals in the area and built a good contact list of contractors and got some good advice.

Also had some good interactions with ranger districts and wildlife folks. I’m a bit bummed I was told I cannot snowmobile in the open NF. But only because it’s a winter big game area and it would disturb wildlife and disrupt their primary food source. Makes sense and although a double edge sword it means a good chance and some deer/elk.

Thanks again for the advice.

No cabin on the new property? If not, RV or trailer? Our HOA limits trailer to 180 days a year. Be sure about that

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
No cabin on the new property? If not, RV or trailer? Our HOA limits trailer to 180 days a year. Be sure about that
There is a small cabin. Plenty big for what we need. Has electric. Also has a 1000g holding septic tank but it doesn’t have a leech field so gray water would fill it very fast and cost to empty is rumored to be at $1000 per trip.

No well however. They are just bringing in 5gal jugs and have small electric pumps that use for sinks. They aren’t using a shower for that reason (but it appears to be plumbed for one).

They way I see it if we want to “grow” the functionality of the property we want water via well. That will require an upgraded septic too.

The way I read the HOA docs, campers are only restricted (6 months) if it is a vacant lot. If it’s occupied (has a home on it) there is no restriction.

How safe is the area from thieves? That would be about my only concern with something like that.

Best of luck. For many years I had a dream of having a getaway in the mountain west. The latest real estate market run killed that dream.

KyleR1985

WKR
I’ll second the call for good rodent control. They will get in the house. Don’t give them a single crumb to eat. If you’re not there for weeks and months at a time, keep all food in airtight totes. It’s a pain to unload, but it’s more of a pain to deal with rodents. Seal up any access you can, but this is a secondary measure.

Be prepared for any maintenance, repairs, or improvements to be more painful, slower, and stressful if you aren’t there or doing it yourself.

Don’t put solid foods and especially fats down your sink to septic.

hflier

WKR
Sounds good, I had a nice cabin right next to NF land. I sold it for a pretty good gain. Didn’t think it would sell at that price so I was shocked when it sold in 48 hours.

Here is what I learned.

A second place takes up a lot of time. If you don’t live there full time you will be at war with nature a fair bit of the time. Squirrels, storms and other natural events will keep you in handyman mode a lot.

Know your neighbors before you move in. It could change your mind. Once you move in try and make friends with the good ones. They will keep an eye out for you. You should do the same for them.

No matter where it is you need to put security measures in place. This means hardening the place against thieves, putting deterrents out that makes think twice and numerous high quality video capture cameras. The cops usually will know the people that are trouble in your area and if you have good video it makes their job easier. Too many low life’s out there now days due to moral decay.

Other than that enjoy. I regret selling my place.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
How safe is the area from thieves? That would be about my only concern with something like that.

Best of luck. For many years I had a dream of having a getaway in the mountain west. The latest real estate market run killed that dream.
Not sure but it’s pretty remote and isn’t the prettiest cabin on the block. I’d be surprised if thieves chose that as a target. But we don’t plan to leave much up there. We live close enough (90 min).

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Sounds good, I had a nice cabin right next to NF land. I sold it for a pretty good gain. Didn’t think it would sell at that price so I was shocked when it sold in 48 hours.

Here is what I learned.

A second place takes up a lot of time. If you don’t live there full time you will be at war with nature a fair bit of the time. Squirrels, storms and other natural events will keep you in handyman mode a lot.

Know your neighbors before you move in. It could change your mind. Once you move in try and make friends with the good ones. They will keep an eye out for you. You should do the same for them.

No matter where it is you need to put security measures in place. This means hardening the place against thieves, putting deterrents out that makes think twice and numerous high quality video capture cameras. The cops usually will know the people that are trouble in your area and if you have good video it makes their job easier. Too many low life’s out there now days due to moral decay.

Other than that enjoy. I regret selling my place.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good stuff. Appreciate the advice and can do. I like to do most things myself (repairs and whatnot) so hopefully that saves some money (at the cost of my time out there).

I’m guessing we visit once a month at least. Likely double that. Hopefully that will allow more time to enjoy and catch small items before they become big. The price is relatively low so feel if we hate it in a year and sell maybe risking realtor fees and can learn a few of those lessons so if we ever do invest in a much nicer expensive getaway cabin we know what to look for and what we are in for.

Thanks again

don't know how capable you are but septic systems are super easy to do. you could probably cut that cost in half if not more. alot of it depends on requirements and permits but the job can be done in a day. something to look into. be sure you have the extra time to dedicate to a second home, you may reach a point where your time is spent on the property and not fun, just keep focus on the end goal and dont get overwhelmed or discouraged.