one man tent...bulletproof? which one?

BRWNBR

WKR
In the market for a couple new one man tents for my mt goat and sheep hunts. i need something that can handle wind, has its own poles. i'm not into using my treking poles to set up a tent. under 4lbs, but the lighter the better. i haven't bought a new one man tent in about a decade...whats out there?

JP100

WKR
Have used the Hilleberg Akto abit this season on sheep/goat hunts and they worked ok, no real issues just small and can get condensation . Im not a fan or one man tents really as they are so small and can condensate alot.

I have used my Kuiu 2 man a fair bit and prefer that. It is a two man tent but weighs the same as most one mans(same weight as the Akto, Little over 3lbs) but is alot more versatile as it is a proper 2 man size.

Both are free standing and good in the wind from my experience's

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I had good experience with the Hilleberg Unna this year in the wind on the tundra of the North Slope. It's really more of a man and a half tent. Has plenty of room for gear and I had no condensation at all in mine. Mind weighed in a 4 lbs. 10.25 oz with tent, fly, poles, 12 stakes, pole bag, stake bag, tent bag, and patch kit. It's also free standing.

Maxhunter

WKR
Don't forget to look at the Big Agnes tents. The two person are light and can take the abuse.

The Akto is a great tent that I highly recommend but it is not a free standing tent as it needs to be staked down to be set up.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
anyone use the scarp 1 by tenttarp i think? i don't care if it has to be staked out, my last several tents were like that and man they could hold up to the wind! freestanding almost seems worse in high winds.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
i keep hearing the word condensation with the akto....

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
soulo is over 5lbs!! i'd hope its bombproof at that weight for a single person tent. since i have to carry this tent along with 8 days worth of gear up mountians for sheep and goat hunting, i'll shop and see about cutting two lbs off that.
anyone use any of the big sky tents? they have some light weight stuff...not sure on durablity though.

LBES

FNG
I've always been a fan of the Big Agnes tents (and all their gear like bags, pads, etc.)... I have 4 BA tents now, all different sizes, and my car camping ones are pushing 10 years with a lot of use. I wouldn't say the ultralight tents are 'durable', but they are good tents. They have lots of venting for air flow to minimize condensation. The very nature of them being 'ultralight' takes away some of the durability, but if you take care of the tents they will last.

I have the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, which is truly a '1 man', but is a no brainer at 1 lbs 10 ounces.
I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3, which can fit 2 guys, but is a castle for 1 man and gear, and comes in at 3 lbs. 11 ounces.

Both tents above use a single pole system and are freestanding.

NEhunter

WKR
I had a BA copper spur ul1 that was a great tent but just sold it here recently and am really looking at picking up an akto and doing some simple mods like cutting zipper pulls and such to lighten it some.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
iv'e been usuing mountian hardware and sierra designs one man tents for ten years and had them in extreme winds and snow with no issues, both right at 3 lbs and both under $200, and i never had a complaint about either of them. of course those two tents are no longer made. theres gotta be something out there, thats not the most exspensive, that weighs around the same that i don't have to modify to make work. the most exspensive tents should never need to be worked on to make right or adjusted to compensate for condesating. kinda defeats the purpose of "buying top of the line".

I've used an Akto for years and never once had a condensation issue! That's why it has adjustable vents in each end of the tent. I've had mine in pretty much every weather condition you can imagine and its stood the test of time. If your looking at high winds I wouldn't even consider a lesser tent like a Big Agnes. IMO. I've seen tents like MSR and Big Agnes fold up in not that much wind. For the record though I've never been in Alaska though so I can't speak for conditions up there.

deadwolf

WKR
Brwnbr, take a look at the Big Agnes Slater. It's very similar to the Fly creek series though less mesh and more "bombproof" in my opinion. If you compare the Slater UL1 to the Fly creek UL 2, you'll see the Slater has a similar amount of room for nearly the same weight. For my way of thinking that gives more durability and room for essentially the same weight.