one man tent...bulletproof? which one?

bcimport

WKR
I know lots of folks have a hard time with the price of a hilleberg and lots of people use 3 season tents successfully, however until you've been in truly nasty conditions and watched a tent fail it's hard to appreciate what a hilleberg will take. A couple years back I was on a stone sheep hunt and we got locked down by rain, sleet and snow in our tents for over 48 hours. Wind that I was sure would take me and the akto down the mountain like a big kite. Not so much as a popped stitch. The mountain hardware the other two guys were in was done after the storm. Fly was tattered most of the guy line points had ripped out and they were just happy it made it as well as it did.

NEhunter

WKR
iv'e been usuing mountian hardware and sierra designs one man tents for ten years and had them in extreme winds and snow with no issues, both right at 3 lbs and both under $200, and i never had a complaint about either of them. of course those two tents are no longer made. theres gotta be something out there, thats not the most exspensive, that weighs around the same that i don't have to modify to make work. the most exspensive tents should never need to be worked on to make right or adjusted to compensate for condesating. kinda defeats the purpose of "buying top of the line".

I would say that the BA CS series would fit you well unless your budget is $200. If so, you may have to wait for a used one or pic something else. There are cheaper alternatives as well such as the BA slater and seedhouse, here is a good deal on a seedhouse: http://www.campsaver.com/seedhouse-sl-1-tent-1-person-3-season
I am pretty certain that a Hilleberg tent does not have to be "modified" to work correctly as they have quite the reputation; however, comparing a top tier Hilleberg 4 season tent to other 3 season tents in price and weight is a bit unfair.

tttoadman

WKR
My Copper Spur was flat on the ground under 3" of wet snow and some moderate to high winds. I have pushed my luck with it before, but this is the first time it has gone down.

I have picked up a Down Range Solo for my late season use. In my opinion this is step down version of a Hilleberg but should be good for everything I need at about 30% of the cost. I am looking at options to go with a bathtub floor and get this setup down to about 4# ish.

GotDraw?

WKR
I totally concur with bcimport's note, above.

Most elk hunters are camped below the tree line and can find some shelter from the wind, but goat/sheep hunters that's a whole other ballgame.

I'd gladly hump an extra couple pounds to make sure that my tent was capable of handling extreme winds and wet/heavy snow.

I doubt there would be a worse outcome than finally getting a goat/sheep tag, dumping the money on the hunt and coming back to "camp" after dark in crappy weather just to find your tent in shreds and your spare gear blown all over the mountain. THAT would suck.

This story pretty much happened to a buddy of mine years ago on a mountain climbing expedition. Seriously bad weather and they were not happy to find their tent was shredded and sleeping bags blown across the mountain when they got back to camp.

1hoda

Banned
X whatever the Hilleberg number is up to.

Like a lot of guys I've been through a lot of backpacking tents since my first one in 1973. I'm only sleeping in Hillebergs now.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
i've probably done around 2 or 3 dozen sheep and goat hunts in alaska now, i know there is still weather i haven't seen yet. you guys almost have me sold on the akto...lol

ozyclint

WKR
i've probably done around 2 or 3 dozen sheep and goat hunts in alaska now, i know there is still weather i haven't seen yet. you guys almost have me sold on the akto...lol

if the soulo can handle NZ tahr hunts it'll handle goat and sheep hunts no problems. you said you wanted bombproof so i suggested the soulo because it's just that. i've been in it during a storm lying on my back, hands and feet bracing the tent, such was the violence. didn't even pull a guy rope let alone sustain damage. as others have stated, above timberline, you must have a bombproof shelter. truly bombproof or ultralight, it's one or the other. when my life is on the line i'll save weight in other areas to accommodate my bombproof shelter.

Last edited:

Lindley

FNG
I've always been a fan of the Big Agnes tents (and all their gear like bags, pads, etc.)... I have 4 BA tents now, all different sizes, and my car camping ones are pushing 10 years with a lot of use. I wouldn't say the ultralight tents are 'durable', but they are good tents. They have lots of venting for air flow to minimize condensation. The very nature of them being 'ultralight' takes away some of the durability, but if you take care of the tents they will last.

I have the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, which is truly a '1 man', but is a no brainer at 1 lbs 10 ounces.
I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3, which can fit 2 guys, but is a castle for 1 man and gear, and comes in at 3 lbs. 11 ounces.

Both tents above use a single pole system and are freestanding.

I bought both the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 to try out side-by-side. I like Hilleberg as well, but the weight was a killer if you don't actually NEED that level of wall material, which also contributes to condensation build up.

Long story short, I like both of the BA tents, but returned the slightly lighter Fly Creek UL2 in favor of the roomier and better ventilated Copper Spur UL2. I am very happy with my choice so far.

Another tent you might want to check out are the Stephenson Warmlite tents. I've used the 3 and 2 person one's for quite a few years and they'll handle some hellacious weather. They make a shorter "climbers" tent that would be a great solo tent. Add the wind stabilizers and put in 3 solid pegs and you're good to go. They don't have a floorless vestibule area, so it takes a little getting used to, but I've found it's not a big deal to sort that out and just lift the one end to get any dirt or debris that gets into the tent out easily. Food for thought if you needed another idea.

deadwolf

WKR
I bought both the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 to try out side-by-side. I like Hilleberg as well, but the weight was a killer if you don't actually NEED that level of wall material, which also contributes to condensation build up.

Long story short, I like both of the BA tents, but returned the slightly lighter Fly Creek UL2 in favor of the roomier and better ventilated Copper Spur UL2. I am very happy with my choice so far.

I am a fan also of some of the BA tents, and I keep kicking the idea around of getting the Slater UL1. The fact that is has rip stop sides and no mesh (except at the door and footbox which can also be zipped shut), has 6 sq feet more than the Fly Creek UL1 or Copper Spur UL1, 2" more headroom @ 40" than the Fly Creek and 3" more than Copper Spur, all at a weight of 2lbs 4ozs trail weight, makes it very intriguing to me as a solo tent for sheep hunting etc. The front vestibule is a non issue for me as I'm the only one going in and out. The copper spur does win in the vestibule area though at 10' compared to 6'. Aside from getting a foot of snow dumped on top of it I think the Slater UL1 will be pretty awesome. Shoot now that I've typed this I might have even talked myself into it!!

I still really want to like floorless shelters, I bought and tried a really nice one last year, but I just felt exposed and that if the wind shifted the thing was gonna blow away like a sail!

In my opinion the BA Flycreek UL1 is not a very good tent for use above treeline. Mine would blow flat during a fall storm encountered while sheep hunting in BC due to the "single" pole design with a small yoke on one end. It also lacked foot room for size 13 feet on top of a Thermarest UL pad. Mine was re-homed to someone who planned to have his boy(s) use it in the trees. I'm still looking for the right one man tent for above treeline.

deadwolf

WKR
I agree the Fly creek UL1 is a pretty small tent, I tried one once and at 190 and 5'10" I felt a little cramped. That's why the Slater 1 or 2 (for 5ozs more) seems like something I'd like to try. A buddy of mine who has the fly creek UL 2 states that if you orient the foot of of the tent into the wind it goes right around with no issues.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a warmlite 2r for 15 years, in some crazy weather. Have to respect it, but it's bombproof and light.

I agree the Fly creek UL1 is a pretty small tent, I tried one once and at 190 and 5'10" I felt a little cramped. That's why the Slater 1 or 2 (for 5ozs more) seems like something I'd like to try. A buddy of mine who has the fly creek UL 2 states that if you orient the foot of of the tent into the wind it goes right around with no issues.

I've had both the FC 1 and 2, and for the wt. and it being a traditional tent i.e., bathtub floor and double walled, it's pretty hard to beat IMO. That being said, given the fact that it's made with UL materials and only has a single pole running down the spine to the foot, it's not too bomber. I spent one night in my FC 2 at about 4500' elevation on Kodiak in a storm, had the back of the tent into the wind, and thought the thing was going to blow apart on me. One of the side tie outs had ripped loose from the fly, the center pole had collapsed and the wind had the entire two thirds collapsed flat as a pancake down on top of me. I guess that's why it's not considered a four season tent. LOL. The wind continued to blow about 40 to 60 mph the next day and I took some pictures of the tent being blown down on the ground but I don't have them on my phone or I'd post one.

deadwolf

WKR
Well that's no good at all! I wonder if we will all struggle to find the "perfect" shelter. They all seem to have one issue or another that doesn't work for someone. Even the Hillebergs for as great as they are touted to be aren't without their problems from what I understand, aside from being heavier than other tents in the same "category." At some point you have to figure out weight vs durability vs condensation vs price vs functionality...it's enough to make your head swim. I know I'm still looking for sure. Right now all I reeeeeallly want is a Cimmaron with a stove jack : )

tttoadman

WKR
The only way the Fly creek and the Copper spur can be considered "bomb proof" is if you take it down when not in in use and sit up to babysit the tent in use during bad weather. I used to think my CS was pretty bad ass, but I really got an education this last November. I love my copper spur tent, it will take some good winds and any rain. The fly creek is a sail in the wind. The CS is a flat top snow catcher with a single spine pole. You would be better off in a short pyramid tarp spiked low to the ground than either of these. I was not willing or able to step up to a Hilleberg, so I found a heavy duty tent that closely matched it's features. The primary feature I am talking about is the 3rd cross pole at the vestibules. The Eureka Down Range is not a lightweight tent, but it is well built, and comes with great reviews.

I am absolutely not bagging on the BA tents, because I am totally satisfied BA owner. I just think this thread has gotten a little off course from what the OP was looking for, and I don't want to see somebody getting in a bad situation. A pic is worth a thousand words. This is what i came back to after a long day of hunting in the wet snow and moderate winds. 7800 EL. first week of November, My sleeping bag was floating inside on about 3" of water. Most sleeping bags would have been soaked and sunk and I would have been in an even worse situation.
IMG_1020_zpsj975byxx.jpg~original

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
No worries on the direction of this thread, I'm liking it.

Brwnbr,
Do you have a weight range you'd like to try and keep these solo tents around? Bombproof and ultra light are tricky to juggle. I've had my DuoMid in some crazy winds and it's held up great, but you have to be religious about bomber anchors and deal with slight winds getting under the outer perimeter. Do you set these up, or have your clients set them up? Just trying to get an idea of how you'd like to use them. I used to guide a lot and I set up and broke down all the tents.