one man tent...bulletproof? which one?

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Gotta say warmlight's webpage and weights and testimony really has me leaning that way!!

Warmlite is a pretty no-frills type tent. It goes up crazy fast. I'd highly recommend the larger door and side windows. Use 3 MSR Cyclone stakes and back those up with rocks and you'll be blown off the mountain before the tent will.

One of the guides that I sheep hunt for has a Stephenson (warmlite) tent. It is fantastic in that it is very roomy, and very lite, and seems to handle storms well. But, one thing she hates about it, is taking it down and setting it up when it is wet. Very tough to keep the inside dry on her tent when taking it down wet. Its possible the design has changed as her tent is an older model I believe, but at least for hers, it isn't as easy to keep dry like it is with the hillebergs detachable inner tent system.

You really need to fold and roll up a super wet Warmlite in a certain way to keep any water from getting on the inner tent area. I tap as much of the drops off the outer as possible and then loosen the front and rear tension straps. Then I pull out the poles and unpeg the front two stakes. Fold the floor up onto the top and lay the poles inside that area and just roll it up to the rear. I'm really meticulous about setting up and taking down tents and shelters so that it's identical every single time. I don't want to be guessing which end of my tent is which when the wind is howling and it's pouring rain outside. With the way I roll it up, you can stake the rear down and keep the tent secure while you roll out the rest of the tent and then stake out the front. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but if you practice a few times in the yard, you'll get it down to under 2 minutes easily. In the mountains with nasty rocks, finding a spot to sink the stakes takes longer than anything else. Either that or leveling off a pad. That's one thing you'll definitely want to watch with the Warmlite. Get a level spot, because if you don't, I gaurantee you you'll be slipping on that floor to the side of the tent. That fabric is crazy slippery.

regarding mid type shelters above treeline, i think trekking poles are a limiting factor. if using a stout aluminum pole, the shelter can withstand much more. two years ago at 12,500 in colorado, we had two sets of trekking poles holding up my LBO. on the same trip, the beating wind chaffed the guy on badly on the rocks they were tied to.
overall the shelter has always held and sustained no noticable damage, but anytime you snug it tight, its going to rain inside...