One piece of advise.....

If you could give a group of 4 guys that grew up in the Midwest deer hunting from tree stands one piece of advise for there first ever mule deer hunt in Colorado what would it be? 3rd season rifle.

WCB

WKR
Contrary to what anybody says mule deer do not always stop and look back. If it is a shooter and you think it is leaving...shoot it. I have seen too many nice bucks get away and the first thing out of the guys mouth is...."I thought he'd stop."

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Have a game plan with multiple back up plans that you developed from from e scouting, scouting, and or local knowledge. It’s easy when your on a hunt to get frustrated and move locations, and if you have a well thought out plan it will keep you from making poor choices.

Vids

WKR
Former midwesterner here. Don't think of them at all like whitetails, different species with different behavior patterns. In 3rd season they will be looking for the ladies. Find the does and the bucks won't be far away. With whitetails you find a likely spot and wait for them to come by, don't do that with muleys. Get to a good vantage point and glass for them, and be patient enough to spend hours doing it.

KHNC

WKR
Hire a guide for your first trip if you want to be more assured of success. Otherwise, you will just end up doing a lot of hiking and maybe shooting a dink or two.

BFR

WKR
Use good optics and don’t be in a hurry to bypass a seemingly open hillside, it’s like now there not there ......hey, where did he come from. Take your time while glassing. My other advice has been covered.

Jimss

WKR
Be in the shape of your life! Take it easy when you first arrive....especially if you are hunting high elevation!

Maldavis

FNG
Be in the shape of your life! Take it easy when you first arrive....especially if you are hunting high elevation!

How long before the actual hunt starts should a flat lander arrive to to get reasonably acclimated to elevation? Assuming said flat lander is in fit condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Everyone is a little different in regard to getting acclimated. A buddy of mine in fantastic shape accompanied me for a few hours on a sheep scouting trip before he got altitude sickness and had to return to lower elevation. We hiked around 3 miles fairly quickly at around 11,000 to 13,000 elevation. I live at 4,600ish elevation and usually get acclimated pretty fast. I try to spend as much time as possible through the summer at high elevation in years I draw timberline tags. I usually take my time when first arriving at altitude, taking super deep breaths (even if I don't need to), and drink lots of water. I always make a point of breathing super deeply even when sitting at higher elevations. Take your time....especially if you are going from 2,000' elevation up to 10,000'+ elevation!

Dennis

WKR
My suggestions are a little different and spread out a little. I agree with advice above and being in shape is good advice however weather here in Colorado can be a challenge to even get to a hunting area. 3rd season in Colorado you should expect snow and cold weather. It depends on the year and where you are going, access and elevation. I would say my first thought is getting to and from your hunting area which usually means 4 wheel drive and having good tire chains for all four wheels would be high on my list along with a shovel, tow strap etc.. Expect mud and snow! It might be important to not only get into your hunting area, but out of your hunting area days later. Second would be your type of camp. (Motel, RV, Tents, etc.) Motels might work out, but if in a tent I would want a camp that can with stand heavy snow, wind and cold weather. Along with that is a good cold weather (zero or greater) sleeping bag. Even in an RV type camp I like a good cold weather sleeping bag. I have experienced a dead camper battery and a furnace that would not run and a truck that would not start because of the cold. Next would be warm and cold weather boots that are good in steep terrain and comfortable to hike in. After that I bring clothing to match the possible weather conditions, good sighted in rifles, scope caps and a pack with essential survival gear. Good luck and enjoy your adventure!

fwafwow

WKR
Agree with everything above, especially getting in shape and go slow to elevation. (You can go high during the day, but go slow *with respect to where you sleep*.)

Here are a few items that aren't so obvious (at least to me):
  • take saline nasal spray and have it as handy (and use it as frequently) as your binos
  • use chap stick - a lot
  • make a list of what you are taking, and shortly after your trip, revise the list to reflect all of the stuff you didn't use. (Lots of people will tell you not to take as much as you think, but it's easy to say and hard to follow in advance. And everyone is different.)
  • consider some of the threads on here for trauma and boo-boo kits - and prophylactic meds. I ended up eating Diamox like candy, and I had prepped physically, and with a hypoxia tent.