One piece of advise.....

Dcrafton

WKR
If you could give a group of 4 guys that grew up in the Midwest deer hunting from tree stands one piece of advise for there first ever mule deer hunt in Colorado what would it be? 3rd season rifle.

I’ve hunted Colorado for 20 years or so.
I’m not in very good shape. Go slow.
It really depends on what units you’re looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Be in place before first light and wait & watch til about 9 or 10. Then be in place about 3 pm and wait and watch til dark.

Last year was my first trip and saw most of the deer when I was stationary and waiting on them. If you don't see any or just does or small ones, go elsewhere for the next interval.

Last comment, be able to hit what you shoot at. Practice a lot before you go. That way you won't miss.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to know about how to hunt bucks read books about it theres too many to list here but Robbies book and the book "The Edge" are great.

As far as advice, I have hunted mule deer for 15 years and my best advice is to look at it as a process, don't be discouraged if you don't tag out your first trip. Oh and don't freeze your ass off......... thats my other advice.
I've seen this comment several times over... not just from you but a few different guys. What is "Robbie's book"?

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've seen this comment several times over... not just from you but a few different guys. What is "Robbie's book"?

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
This
325880a2c003ee338adce84a76f66b63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can't kill um from the couch.
Dont be afraid of the dark.
Be in position well before you think you need to and stay until you think there is no way ya can see a deer.

4Cody4

FNG
Although my experience is limited to a few western trips...I was most surprised by how much you should just plan to do in the dark. Hike to and from glassing in the dark dark. Cook in the dark, break down animals in the dark, pack to the truck in the dark.

So my suggestion is to have a charged headlamp.

Hunt the aspen/sage transition zone. Find pockets that are a mile + from any roads. The more broken the terrain the better.

There is a lot of great advice above.

I'd put them in this order:

#1 get in shape
#2 get and use the best glass you can afford
#3 hunt the aspen/sage transition (unless there is a lot of snow, then go lower)
#4 get as far from any roads as you can, and don't forget the roads on the other side of the ridge or on adjacent private land.
#5 don't get discouraged by the lower densities of deer compared to the midwest
#6 A positive attitude and dry socks go a long way.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get to vantage points at daylight and last light......and as noted glass and glass some more👍

Get to vantage points at daylight and last light......and as noted glass and glass some more👍

Missed opportunities are set ups for tomorrows hunt. That's why everyone is saying stay late, it preps your morning set up with greater accuracy. We see something and get in a hurry to beat last light, when often, just them be and plan for tomorrow with better data. That's providing pressure and weather or hot does, don't move them. Every encounter doesn't have to turn into a stalk. The more you let them educate you, the better your chances are of defeating them. It's sad there are so many hunters any more, all trying to get into a basin or a draw. It makes things rushed that should be played with observation. Go where the fewest orange vests are, it's likely the deer have done the same.

Laramie

WKR
Can't limit to just one-

1) Glass - Become very proficient with your binoculars. Actually practice glassing. I like to glass waterfowl and birds in the offseason. Use a tripod or something else to stabilize your glass. That eliminates a lot of the stress on your eyes having stable glass. Learn comfortable positions to glass from.
2) Shooting - Practice shooting to at least 300 yards. I recommend installing extendable bi pods on your rifle. Practice prone and sitting shots. I also recommend having a primos trigger stick or similar to be able to shoot standing in the event you have to shoot over tall brush. This can also double as your binocular support and a walking stick. Also, keep in mind your rifle zero won't be exactly the same at elevation - it's always a good idea to shoot some after getting to elevation.
3) Hunt all day if you are in open to semi open country. We have killed a lot of nice bucks between 10am-2pm. Most of the time you will be glassing for bedded bucks but you will occasionally see them on their feet as well.

A lot of good tips already listed previously. Hope these help and good luck!

Fatcamp

WKR
Although my experience is limited to a few western trips...I was most surprised by how much you should just plan to do in the dark. Hike to and from glassing in the dark dark. Cook in the dark, break down animals in the dark, pack to the truck in the dark.

So my suggestion is to have a charged headlamp.

Two headlamps, each with a battery turned backwards.

Block

WKR
Everyone will tell you to pick a spot and glass all day... I honestly think that’s some of the WORST advice possible.. IF you have prescouted and know there’s a big buck or 2 around,, then sure maybe stick it out in a spot all morning or all day. Otherwise,,, you will usually see 80+% of what a spot has to offer in 30 minutes.,, Cover ground by truck or on foot and get to as many different vantages or angles as you can and you will see more deer and probably find a bigger buck...Sitting a whole day or even 1/2 a day in unfamiliar ground with no clue if there’s even bucks around is SUICIDE