Order EXO K4 or Stick with Kifaru

Kybosh27

FNG
Lots of good advice and opinions here. I had a k3 for a few years then got a kifaru tactical. I sold the exo right after they started teasing k4. I currently have all 3 sizes in the tactical and will probably end up with a k4 too. I like packs, gear and tinkering. Maybe one day I will find "MY" perfect match. Until then 🔥🔥💰💰🔥🔥
Haha. Nothing wrong with trying out new gear. Sometimes the day I buy something I’m still looking at other stuff that I want to try.

Kybosh27

FNG
I bought an extra set of straps for my Duplex Lite for this exact reason. I loved that feature on my K3.
I used the extra straps that came with the pack since I wasn’t running a lid on my Hoodlum. I love that feature of the EXO with the extra straps as well. I do like how you can move the straps around on the Kifaru to get them just where you want them.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I used the extra straps that came with the pack since I wasn’t running a lid on my Hoodlum. I love that feature of the EXO with the extra straps as well. I do like how you can move the straps around on the Kifaru to get them just where you want them.
If Exo would sew loops on their frame for attaching extra straps like a Kifaru, it would be perfect.

It had two straps on the meat shelf like an Exo and one hipbelt pouch. I’m not sure if the bag came stock with three side compression straps and two bottom compression straps, but this has that.

I can’t remember the exact weight, but it was n between 7.5-8 pounds with long shoulder straps and medium belt.
Gotcha. My large belt, long straps, 3 compression straps per side, and two on the bottom made 6 pounds 12 ounces exact on my scale. The same scale that weighed my SO peregrine kit at 4 pounds 8 ounces. So, my scales appear accurate.

Obviously, the weight difference between the k4 and your Kifaru setup wasn’t 3 pounds. If exo’s weight is right, and I am sure it is. It was a pound and a few ounces different. With the Kifaru belt pouch. Likely A pound without it.

Kuiu’s I’m not sure on. I’ve owned three of their kits and the are lighter then both the exo and Kifaru though.

Gotcha. My large belt, long straps, 3 compression straps per side, and two on the bottom made 6 pounds 12 ounces exact on my scale. The same scale that weighed my SO peregrine kit at 4 pounds 8 ounces. So, my scales appear accurate.

Obviously, the weight difference between the k4 and your Kifaru setup wasn’t 3 pounds. If exo’s weight is right, and I am sure it is. It was a pound and a few ounces different. With the Kifaru belt pouch. Likely A pound without it.

Kuiu’s I’m not sure on. I’ve owned three of their kits and the are lighter then both the exo and Kifaru though.
Weight difference I was referencing was compared to the KUIU, which is 4 pounds and a few ounces for my size.

Regardless of weight, I could stomach it if there was a noticeable improvement in carrying comfort but it was the worst of the four so it was quickly sold off.

I'm after deer/ turkey/ and also hike/camp with my family in the Northeast (NH) and have two packs currently :

-Kifaru Tactical frame w/ Stryker XL
versatile, ruggedized for the woods; short frame height for the bush, I attach anything from deer stands, chainsaw, pruning tools, camp caches, propane tanks; I love how stiff this frame is for the needs described because when big hard items are not symmetrical, I find they can unevenly torque a more flexible frame when cinched down and moving.
Kifaru camp bag for overnight camping.

-Exo K4 w/5000 (recently replacing a Seek Outside frame /5400 pack. I needed more organization and also never got used to the SO slim buckles/straps)- I will be not hunting with this pack in the immediate future, but have plans for some future multi-day possibilities. In the meantime it is more of a mountain hike/camp pack for me. I am a becoming a birding enthusiast so I love to pack a spotter and binos for above the trees. I'm also usually pretty weighed down when with my family, carrying stuff for my kids. I'm test loading to 65lbs so far and love how the system works and feels. I don't believe it will replace my Kifaru Tac Frame, but it feels like a sweet spot for functionality and comfort. I prefer the K4 belt over the Kifaru.

Lkellogg

FNG
Hey all. I haven’t had the chance to checkout the K4 in person. I’ve been running a Kifaru setup the last several seasons. I’m wondering what your opinion is between the k4 and Kifaru. Has anyone extensively compared the two? I’m debating whether or not to make the jump from my Kifaru setup to the K4. Anyone’s input is welcome. Thanks!
Exo cannot be beat plain and simple

Sadler

WKR
Both are awesome. I have the K4 5000 and an older kifaru duplex lite with a bedlam on it and the K4 feels a little more comfortable to me. But to make it a more fair comparison I bought a new lumbar pad from kifaru so I’ll be able to have a better comparison soon. The shoulder straps shape and adjustability are superior on the K4 in my opinion though.

I currently have a k4, a duplex tactical and a duplex lite. Exo has it figured out. The fit/finish/feel of the K4 is unrivalled as a hunting frame in my mind. It does everything good and just feels right when I put it on (hard to explain) I’m early in my testing so no conclusions yet but loaded up with 87lbs i did notice the k4 feels more ‘floaty’ up top and also puts more weight/pressure on my hips and lumbar than the tactical frame. It’s not horrible and kind of expected for a frame with this much torsional flex. It does however keep the load closer to your back than the kifaru and that is quite noticeable. All great frames but for backcountry hunting the exo gets my vote. For reference, both the tac frame and k4 are new.

Crazy how packs are so subjective. The K4 belt was way too stiff for my hips. I much prefer the kifaru belt.
They are indeed subjective, how long did you give the k4? I do think the feeling changes quite a bit with some use, but there was no worries out of the gate, but it certainly has just become more comfortable for me.

The duplex lite was the worst out of the gate, felt extremely uncomfortable at first but didn’t take long to break in and become comfortable, but the k4 is quite a bit better to me, especially with some use I think it’s more comfortable than the k2 or k3 belt which were my favorite for hunting mode comfort… the k4 just stays so static on me with no abrasion anywhere and with day hunting gear I can leave it pretty loose and still have it extremely secure.

Packs are absolutely subjective though, I can very much testify to that, but for me, the k4 checks all boxes and nothing else I have tried rivals it… especially as a whole. I like exo bags the most as well, which is just icing on the cake

sivart

WKR
I'm sure the K4 belt would have felt better as I broke it in. I just wasn't willing to take the risk. For me packs, like boots, need to feel good right out of the gate. A mentor of mine once told me if boots don't feel good in the store, they sure as hell won't feel good in the backcountry.

The Kifaru belt feels head and shoulders better than any other pack I try. And I've tried all of the big 4. I can wear the duplex wearing a big leather belt w/ brass buckle no problem. The K3 frame I have is more finike for me. I have to wear a mountaineering belt for the K3 to feel decent for me.

It could be it's just want I'm used to. I used the Kifaru long hunter from 2002-2019. IMO, that frame changed the game forever. Its not much different from the current duplex lite frame. Both are awesome and feel head and shoulders better for me than any other brand.

Now the Kifaru bags, that's a diff story. I put up with them because I love their frame so much. They have much to improve on. Mainly the weight. All just my opinion.

Would you say the same comparing Kifaru to Kuiu, SG, etc? I'm looking to for a frame that can do a lot on its own in addition to having good bag options.

Would you say the same comparing Kifaru to Kuiu, SG, etc? I'm looking to for a frame that can do a lot on its own in addition to having good bag options.
I only have experience with these 3 frames:
Kifaru Tactical
Seek Outside Revolution
Exo K4

I just noticed that Exo released the K4 Crib Load Panel, enhancing the K4 versatility. I still think the Kifaru Tactical maybe has the edge for awkward loads because of it's stiff, solid panel between my load and my back. But I am at times loading oddball stuff like a chainsaw and fuel can, or a propane tank.

What are you wanting to haul?

What are you wanting to haul?
Things on my radar are chainsaw and gear, large barrels for canoe portaging, inflatable raft or paddle board and gear, cooler. Some of these things I'm not sure would fit easily into the meat shelf pouches, but something like the crib load panel looks promising.

What you imagine hauling is how I use my Kifaru Tactical. My Stryker XL stays on that frame 90% of the time. I added a Kifaru Camp Bag for camping. I recently purchased a K4 frame/ 5000 pack because I wanted to have two separate packs set up at all times for different jobs. Often my Kifaru is packed up for scouting/pruning my deer hunting spots and access trails. I just like to keep it grab-and-go. The K4 carries heavy loads beautifully, but I prefer the Kifaru Tactical for the items you intend to carry. The stiff board blocks any hard points/rounded barrel shapes/awkward loads from jabbing my back.

I chose 25" frame for my K4 5000 which is taller for me and currently devoted to camping/hiking with my family. I have three kids 10yrs and younger so I end up carrying the lions share for all of us. I live in New Hampshire and am not doing western hunts right now, but I plan to use this pack once I have time to plan an annual/semi-annual western hunt.