Order EXO K4 or Stick with Kifaru

What you imagine hauling is how I use my Kifaru Tactical. My Stryker XL stays on that frame 90% of the time. I added a Kifaru Camp Bag for camping. I recently purchased a K4 frame/ 5000 pack because I wanted to have two separate packs set up at all times for different jobs. Often my Kifaru is packed up for scouting/pruning my deer hunting spots and access trails. I just like to keep it grab-and-go. The K4 carries heavy loads beautifully, but I prefer the Kifaru Tactical for the items you intend to carry. The stiff board blocks any hard points/rounded barrel shapes/awkward loads from jabbing my back.

I chose 25" frame for my K4 5000 which is taller for me and currently devoted to camping/hiking with my family. I have three kids 10yrs and younger so I end up carrying the lions share for all of us. I live in New Hampshire and am not doing western hunts right now, but I plan to use this pack once I have time to plan an annual/semi-annual western hunt.
Thank you - that's really helpful. So, with the Stryker XL on 90% of the time, that means it gives enough room between it and the Kifaru Tactical frame to haul pretty big things, or do you find yourself taking it off and just using the frame for some of the bigger or awkward hauls? The K4 looks pretty sweet.

Thank you - that's really helpful. So, with the Stryker XL on 90% of the time, that means it gives enough room between it and the Kifaru Tactical frame to haul pretty big things, or do you find yourself taking it off and just using the frame for some of the bigger or awkward hauls? The K4 looks pretty sweet.
I prefer to keep the Stryker XL attached, and have figured out how to haul pretty much anything this way. I took it off a few times at first- its not hard to do, but I like the benefits of having the bag and also not fussing with removal/reinstall.

If I find time I'll load some things up with the bag and snap some pics.

I prefer to keep the Stryker XL attached, and have figured out how to haul pretty much anything this way. I took it off a few times at first- its not hard to do, but I like the benefits of having the bag and also not fussing with removal/reinstall.

If I find time I'll load some things up with the bag and snap some pics.
If it works, keeping the Stryker on makes sense to me - seeing it in action would be great!

E6A41222-E035-4426-AFF6-E39B61334EE6.jpeg77F58B7C-82B3-41F3-BDCD-119F51F366D5.jpeg
Here is an example of loading a chainsaw and fuel with the Stryker XL. The Rotopax is in the interior load shelf, the saw is on the exterior of the bag. Belt pouch contains saw tools/ spare chain. Hand pruner holster behind that. I would usually place a container of bar/chain oil on top of the fuel can. Not pictured on the other side of belt I have a Safariland QLS mount and a water bottle holder. The bag is empty, but can be used. No shifting, feels balanced.

Let me know what other loading you'd like to see and I will mock it up.

Here is an example of loading a chainsaw and fuel with the Stryker XL. The Rotopax is in the interior load shelf, the saw is on the exterior of the bag. Belt pouch contains saw tools/ spare chain. Hand pruner holster behind that. I would usually place a container of bar/chain oil on top of the fuel can. Not pictured on the other side of belt I have a Safariland QLS mount and a water bottle holder. The bag is empty, but can be used. No shifting, feels balanced.

Let me know what other loading you'd like to see and I will mock it up.

That looks like a great system! I definitely like the idea of being able to keep the Stryker on and keeping that functionality while carrying other large items. Any limit of something where you really need to take the Stryker off?

I can't think of anything I haul or might haul that requires me to remove the Stryker XL. I've loaded a small generator, bales of hay, a 50 gal drum...

I'll post more pics when I have a chance.

I can't think of anything I haul or might haul that requires me to remove the Stryker XL. I've loaded a small generator, bales of hay, a 50 gal drum...

I'll post more pics when I have a chance.
That's exactly what I wanted to know - I think that spectrum of size/shape/heaviness covers everything I'd want better ways of moving around. That sort of flexibility is definitely what I want, to get out in the woods and have something I can use around the cabin or for whatever is needed. I'm looking around for a deal on that setup now.

121DB0B6-A8CF-4328-9A52-35B1AAFC44F6.jpegk69C70A7F-5F3A-4BF6-8808-EE227244DD15.jpeg
108FE817-ACC7-4BF3-BF91-1D5F88CB8E95.jpegThis is an example of a large volume item that can be loaded without removing the Stryker XL. The pack is literally on the underside of the drum and serves as my shelf. Of course I have to be mindful what items I put into the pack in this configuration, but it can still carry non-breakables.

The Stryker panel allows access to all of the attachment points along the sides of the frame so there is no loss of options for securing a load if you keep the pack on.

If you plan to load large items purchase an extra set of compression straps and a hardware replacement kit.

For context I pack and stage that drum near a hard to access area of my property where I hunt whitetail as well as winter camp with my family. It serves as a dry, animal proof container and cache.

Tracking back to the OP’s title….I’m currently devoting my K4 for use with the 5000 bag and using my Kifaru for awkward loads and tools. However, with the newly released K4 crib panel I bet you could load that system in a similar manner. I think the Kifaru Tactical frame still has the edge with its the rigid frame panel because when you haul heavy, rounded or irregularly shaped items you are possibly going to feel some bulging into your lower back with the Duplex Lite or K4. I really don’t like much frame flex at all with seriously awkward loads. A seemingly small imbalance in pressure across the back can become a problem over distance. Inserting a DIY semi-rigid panel against the frame can remedy this- something like a synthetic cutting board with rounded corners to protect the pack.

I’ll probably buy a K4 Crib Panel to put it to the test. I like that Squadron laminate fabric and am curious how durable it is.