Oregon Blacktail advice

541hunter

WKR
If you are hunting the southern Oregon area there is plenty of ground to hunt with out a permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRUSS

WKR
Lots of good areas without a permit required. It's been said already, but nasty weather is the time to be out. These deer can get you down, don't let them. Tough to see but they are out somewhere. When you find lots of tracks really narrow down your coverage area. After a few rifle hunts, you will enjoy the late archery seasons. Should be a good season this year, good growth. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What is the "right age" for this? I am a novice hunter in general so trying to wrap my head around what looks like a likely spot for blacktails.

If it is too old/tall then you won't be able to see anything. Also the older the cut, the more grown up the under-brush will be, further reducing visibility/accessibility. Reprod age is important, but also the density at which it was replanted. If it's thick and or grown up but still has lots of holes in it that you'd be able to spot game moving through, then it could still be a worth while cut. But if you are looking for the perfect cut, look for water not too far away, reasonable amount of feed in the area, and then try and establish if you think the cut would only be a migration corridor or if it looks like bedding potential then glass/hunt it accordingly. Good sanctuary timber close by is a good indication too. But the long and short of it is, if you can't see into it, it's not going to really do you any good.

OP
K

Kimbersig

WKR
We spent a week around Agnes in October and struck out. It got hot and dry. Saw one legal buck the first day when we had the only cool wet day. We definitely learned a lot. Thick only begins to describe some of that country! I don’t think we will go back to the chetco unit after driving through some of the other southern units I think we will try again in a few years in a different unit. Thanks everyone for all your help and input!

Growing up in SW Oregon we spent a lot of time behind glass in big timber cuts that had a good mixture of vegetation and reprod. The rain will help you even more as they tend to be more active. You’re gonna see a decent amount of road hunting if you’re anywhere near a road system as well.

Go late October early November if you can. I'm in WA and not familiar with OR seasons but that is the prime time to catch moving bucks.