Oregon Packs?

I think with a few minor modifications, hopefully Karl is open to some of these the OPW system will be right up there with any pack. It's funny, I am packing for a spring bear hunt next week and had my Kifaru all packed and ready to go. Then I decided well I should pack up the OPW Orion to see how well everything fits into it. Well everything not only fit well it felt dang good . I texted some of the other guys in our hunting group. One other guy had done the exact same thing.He had packed up his remedy 7 solution and then went back to the OPW. I mentioned how funny it is that we somehow gravitate back to the OPW pack system.

Rowndy

FNG
I think with a few minor modifications, hopefully Karl is open to some of these the OPW system will be right up there with any pack. It's funny, I am packing for a spring bear hunt next week and had my Kifaru all packed and ready to go. Then I decided well I should pack up the OPW Orion to see how well everything fits into it. Well everything not only fit well it felt dang good . I texted some of the other guys in our hunting group. One other guy had done the exact same thing.He had packed up his remedy 7 solution and then went back to the OPW. I mentioned how funny it is that we somehow gravitate back to the OPW pack system.

Karl is always willing to listen and modify, at the BHA show alone I know he took back several ideas that he wanted to work on right away. He's always coming up with new stuff, which is impressive considering its not his day job. He's an incredibly ambitious fella.

trk3263

WKR
If you look at the stitching it stops about 2-3 inches below where the top of the stay goes. So the frame sheet is what the load lifters attach too. If you put 100 or even 80 lbs in the pack and suck down those load lifters the frame sheet folds over like a taco and hits the back of your head. Did anyone else experience this?

I talked with Karl and he told me he always uses the Meat Shelf which pulls evenly against the load lifters so doesn't have the problem of the top of the pack folding over. HOWEVER it seemed like he understood the concern and is looking at going with a longer stay that will allow the load lifter to pull from the top of the stay.

I also had some problems with my waist strap and part of me thinks it was because I was wearing my waist strap to high (I think close to my belly button). I think this was because I kept pulling the pack up on my shoulders more and more and carrying all the weight on my shoulders. I have been paying more attention to this and now wear it on my belt line and carry the weight better.
Gobbler and I have always thought a wider tension trap on the waist belt would benefit. Gobbler does not have the problem with the waist strap like pictured above. We leave next week for an 8 day trip and I will be using my Orion so I will see if I still have the waist belt issue.

cmeier117 Does the strap twist on one side of your waist more than the other side or does it occur on both sides?

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
I talked with Karl and he told me he always uses the Meat Shelf which pulls evenly against the load lifters so doesn't have the problem of the top of the pack folding over. HOWEVER it seemed like he understood the concern and is looking at going with a longer stay that will allow the load lifter to pull from the top of the stay.

I also had some problems with my waist strap and part of me thinks it was because I was wearing my waist strap to high (I think close to my belly button). I think this was because I kept pulling the pack up on my shoulders more and more and carrying all the weight on my shoulders. I have been paying more attention to this and now wear it on my belt line and carry the weight better.
Gobbler and I have always thought a wider tension trap on the waist belt would benefit. Gobbler does not have the problem with the waist strap like pictured above. We leave next week for an 8 day trip and I will be using my Orion so I will see if I still have the waist belt issue.

cmeier117 Does the strap twist on one side of your waist more than the other side or does it occur on both sides?

It occurred on both sides. I no longer have the pack so all of this is off my notes and memory. I remember him telling my about he meat shelf thing too. Seems like it would be easier to increase the stay length up 2.5 inches and call it good.

Derek0525

WKR
If you figure out how to fix the waist belt issue let me know mine twist just like in the pic. I love the pack other than this issue. I was thinking maybe thicker straps there would solve the problem.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Mountain Hunter,

You bring up good points, but you're being a jerk while doing it.

I can't delete your post from my phone, so you have some time to "rephrase" before I get home.....or I'll delete then.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I did the pack trial, it's a great idea and I sure appreciated getting to try one out. I did experience the belt loosening on me, but I failed to let Karl know and ended up with a belt that was too small which may have contributed my bad. I did think the pack was a bit to flexible for heavy weights but found it fairly comfortable with 40#'s in it. I think the rogue makes a great day pack. The material is quiet and appears quite durable if perhaps a tad heavy. I think the modular concept is well done. I'm 6'0.5" and didn't get much shoulder lift, and as others stated the frame is pretty flexible which could be an issue with the load lifters cranked down.

I did get to experience there customer service and wouldn't have any reservations recommending them on that basis. I think the person who had the pack before me may have cracked the connector on the shoulder strap (perhaps in a car door). Within 5 minutes of loading the pack the buckle broke. I emailed Karl and he sent a whole new shoulder harness out right away.

I did decide after trying the pack out to go with a Kifaru Bikini DT1. For me I think that one compressible pack will be more convenient than modular one adding and removing things. I also know that when loaded down with a super heavy pack (hopefully elk meat) I want to be the most comfortable I can be at that time.

I have a lot of respect for a company that will let you try their product out before buying. I recommend doing that with this pack. It didn't seem like the best fit for my needs but I do think for many people out there it could be a great purchase.

Well said, Karl is a good guywith great customer service. With a few tweaks this will be a solid pack. The modular concept is what keeps me coming back to it. There will be three of us using the Orion's next week in hells canyon on a spring bear hunt. We all have the beefed up modified frames and frame sheets and updated load lifters. We will let everyone interested know how the updates work in the field.

cmeier117

WKR
Well said, Karl is a good guywith great customer service. With a few tweaks this will be a solid pack. The modular concept is what keeps me coming back to it. There will be three of us using the Orion's next week in hells canyon on a spring bear hunt. We all have the beefed up modified frames and frame sheets and updated load lifters. We will let everyone interested know how the updates work in the field.

Wow your lucky, Oregon or Idaho side? How many years it take to draw that tag?

Welcome aboard Karl!
Yup, I agree w/ the others, the modularity of the OPW system is what makes it so versatile.
As for the load lifter/stay height....I'd think it a pretty easy mod to shift location of the stay pocket all the way to the top.
(might have to pull some stiches and give that a try.)
Add the horz stay mod and no more barreling. Other than that it' a darned near perfect design.
I know there are lighter packs, but the modularity and bombproof construction are more important to me than weight.
I personally run the Orion configuration and just use a large stuff sack for my camp gear.
By the time I get done cinching down the meat apron/load panel and pod straps, it all rides well.
Keep up the good work.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
Got the demo in. so far so good but gotta load it up to see how well it does. for those who have them, are the shoulder straps wider than other brands?

Are you talking width of the strap it self or the distance between the straps. I am setting here looking at my OPW and two Kifaru Packs. The Kifaru shoulder straps arent as wide and also the width between the two shoulder straps isnt as wide also, however I really like the OPW straps.

I'm talking about the width of the actual strap padding. It seems just a fraction too wide for me to give them a "10" on a 1-10 scale if 10 was the "best feel." I really like the modularity of this pack as well as the meat shelf. I'm still not clear though how to keep the weight up high and tight to my back with this system.

I really like the modularity of this pack as well as the meat shelf.
I'm still not clear though how to keep the weight up high and tight to my back with this system.
One option (Orion Config) is to relocate the meat apron/load panel to the top of the lumbar pack. You'll have to flip it upside down and switch the straps & buckles around but it can be done easily. This allows you to place a large meat sack of boned meat on top of the hydro bag and use the pod straps & meat apron to secure it all in place.

If you take a look at this pic & a couple others you'll see how to make it work.
http://s111.photobucket.com/user/Mi...t=3&o=16&_suid=136786007105305953890202187984
But I point out those pics are w/o the hydro bladder & pods....so it's a really stripped down "Hunt'nFish Config". This is what makes this pack system so cool..... you have multiple options on how to use it. Not exactly the most comfortable but will get a load out when all you have is the Lumbar pack & meat apron/load panel.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

Karljf

FNG
The best scenario at ALL times, is to utilize the meat shelf to "counteract" the tension people seem to want on the Load-Lifters. If you utilize the meat shelfI to help bear the load, it will "pull-back" at the top of the pack, and maintain the plastic form-sheet straight. I personally don't utilize the Load lifters to extent some of you do. With this said, I have made some of the modifications that are spoken about here, except the "cross-bracing" of the stays. Within the OPW family--Four prostaffers, and myself--We've carried-out 25 animals, from half-bears, to half elk. The Greengate is the Base-Pack for the WholeShabang!, and it carries the heavy weights (of course) better than an Orion--duh! The Orion was never designed to carry more than 80#, total. Can it, yes, and with modifications listed above, it will carry more comfortably. But, those modifications are costly--both weight and cost--which the consumer bears, and some think we're overpriced! So, the balancing act of Weight vs. Cost. Ask Gobbler and TRK, what the increase in weight is...they didn't mention it--I know that when I price the costs of just the "better" plastic, it is FIVE times the price per sheet of what we currently use....these are the business aspects that have to be considered.