Oregon Purple Heart Governors Tag

NwLegends

FNG
Hey guys,

A friend has been granted the Oregon Purple Heart governors tag. Looking for a starting point or some help - for this Vietnam vet get a monster mule deer before Nov 30.

[email protected]

OP
N

NwLegends

FNG
Yea, it was issued much earlier this year - just brought to my attention and the veteran doesn’t have the money to hire an outfitter

Hoping someone doesn’t give us a spot but a region, or a good draw unit to start

270Hunter

FNG
I would recommend contacting biologists in Bend, Ontario and Lakeview. I would focus on the East central and the south east corner of the state. People are gonna say blah blah blah deer numbers down, no big bucks left. But there are still big bucks out there. In my opinion your best bet now is hunting from November 9th to the last day of season or to whenever you kill a buck. The desert units around Lakeview can produce some monster bucks, it’s just that a lot of them are desert units so naturally the deer densitys are lower.

OP
N

NwLegends

FNG
He can hike slowly for a few miles, Covid bout killed him two years ago. But the old Bugger can ride a mule. I got a few and was going to go into the steen mountains….

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
A little background could go a long ways with getting help on this hunt. What are his expectations or hopes, how much time to hunt etc. Given the circumstances, a private landowner in the basin area may be willing to allow some private access even if a guy went and knocked on some doors. If you want kill a big buck, it's gonna take a little work in one fashion or another.

Tmac

WKR
Does the tag holder happen to live in Elgin? I know a similar sounding guy there that has a state wide deer tag he got due to his vet status.

OP
N

NwLegends

FNG
Hey guys,

This guy can walk a few miles - can ride horseback, what is everyone’s thoughts in the steen mountains? That’s where I was thinking of bringing him. Timeline November 14-20th. We live about 7 hrs away so pre scouting isn’t in the cards for me as I only get one week away from my youth camp.

He would love to shoot a 170+ buck
He’s an excellent shot, regularly shoots out to 900 yards

The guy literally died in Vietnam after taking a mortar to the face. Quite the story and the book “twice dead now I live” he a pastor and just one of those guys ya want to sit around a camp fire with

Ideally we glass up something from a long ways off and can take our time to get in close, his speed of movement will be our limiting factor.

This post was just to throw it out there, someone may want to help this guy out, like I am, could be a ton of fun, And rewarding. That’s the season of life I’m in is just want to help kids and veterans into the outdoors ,we do this every fall.

Another way of asking could be If you could hunt anywhere in the state of Oregon for a big mule deer where would you go.

Scoot

WKR
I'm no help, but want to thank this gentleman for his service and I wish him luck on the hunt!

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
From your neck of the woods. If I had a week and hadn't pre scouted a buck or been watching one. I think I would probably head for the desert units. One I think the odds of finding a big buck might be better if you guys are able to cover country and glass glass glass. I also just think that area is really cool and could be super memorable. A winter soak in a hot spring after shooting a nice buck, would have be pretty high on the list! Wish I could be more help, good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

wytx

WKR
Asked for help for a Purple Heart vet and got flack from some guys.
Wonder why he didn't log back in?

Most folks I know would have leapt at the chance to help him if they could.
I hope he got a toad of a buck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update: @NwLegends hasn't logged in since 10/17/22; a few days after he asked for a honey hole and did not immediately receive one.

This is the way.
It's the way to get banned. Keep scrolling is the answer, expressing anger and negatively is unnecessary no matter the question

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk