Overwhelmed Whitetail Newbie

JCook5003

FNG
Hey guys,

I used to hunt when I was a kid, say 25 years ago-ish. I’ve recently been bitten by the bug and desperately want to whitetail hunt again.

Obviously the game has changed in lots of ways, and stayed the same in lots of others.

I live in Appalachia region of Virginia, I have access to some small private land plots and lots of public land ten minutes from home. I intend to archery hunt, ground and tree. Muzzleloader and Rifle.

Im trying to figure out my clothes. I am a dad of three under five and the sole income provider so funds are an issue. Definitely no $1000 suits for me.

I recently picked up a Skre Hardscrabble jacket. Some wrangler hiking pants well thought of on here. And some smart wool merino 200 weight bases.

I figure I can add a fleece and sweatpants to add additional warmth. To get me cobbled through this season. I just want to get into the woods.

However with all the sales going on and upcoming toward the end of the season I’d like to pick up some gear to handle lots of situations.

I’m pretty overwhelmed with the choices available and different trains of thought.

I run hot, so I might not need as much as the next guy to stay warm.

So, should I be looking for a suit to pull on once I get to the stand? That seems like it would be loud.

Should I be looking for a fleece outer/goretex/primaloft whitetail suit?

Something in between?

Also sizing is an issue. I’ve lost about 50 pounds so far, but still 5-10 and 250. Hoping to get to 225 by next season. Blue collar (stocky thick) build. Kuiu sizing is a problem. Their 2XL wouldn’t fit me. 3x is snug. So more “athletic cut” camo won’t work for me.

Help a new guy on a budget out, can someone please help me with some proven logical choices?

Thanks in advance guys.

OP
J

JCook5003

FNG
So, should I be looking for a suit to pull on once I get to the stand? That seems like it would be loud.

That should’ve said a down suit to pull on once I get there. But I couldn’t figure out editing a post.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Check camo fire they have some good sales on Sitka stuff I don’t know your budget but with what you have maybe look at the Sitka stratus bibs and jacket I’m not 100% sure but I thought I saw them on sale on camo fire. Bass pro sales it as well and you can do there payment thing like so much a month. When I was having some money issues from missing 2 months of work from Covid and drained my savings. That’s how I got a few things for hunting after I was back to work. The stratus fits well not tight and has great wind stopper. There is a post up above about some hunting clothes for stand hunting Ariel assault not as pricey as Sitka etc… good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
Look for Insulated Bibs after the season is over.
Dont need all that Booji stuff to hunt.
I've killed a lot of deer wearing BDU's and flannels.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Code of silence is the clothing sry

TBH you can kill a lot of critters in whatever you got. Cabelas or big box sporting good store grade stuff is gonna last longer than it would take most people to wear them out. From my experience with the bigger brands, Kuiu is gonna be tough for you. sitka is amazing but $$$$. First lite has some good pieces. Their solitude jacket and bibs are worth a look.

if you happen to qualify, many gear makers have military and Leo among other discount programs.

OP
J

JCook5003

FNG
I think some of my intent slipped here.

I want to buy the best stuff I can, at a good sales price. Buy once cry once.

I’m just unsure what I really need.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Technical clothing makes it more comfortable if you’re moving around a lot. I have a picture of grandad carrying a moose head out of the woods while wearing blue jeans, an old wool hat and pac boots. That’s one of many the old guy killed wearing the same stuff…he was a moose killing fool. You don’t need the fanciest stuff to hunt. A decent set of base layers makes a huge difference.

Look into First Lite, especially if you qualify for their pro discount.

Attachments

• A88EAE53-236B-45E6-8A22-0E6AB0D1A0A2.jpeg
    A88EAE53-236B-45E6-8A22-0E6AB0D1A0A2.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 43

S-3 ranch

WKR
Look for Insulated Bibs after the season is over.
Dont need all that Booji stuff to hunt.
I've killed a lot of deer wearing BDU's and flannels.
No $$$$ clothes for me , I got some good long John, fleece pants, xxxl fleece jacket to fit over my warm coat , and Camouflage face mask
expensive brand name stuff is nice , but the douche bags on YouTube get paid to wear it :ROFLMAO:
and I just dont understand why guys on RS are name droppers on expensive gear ?

OP
J

JCook5003

FNG
You'd be surprised at what you'll find at your local thrift store and Goodwill. Don't get caught up in the big name clothing, look at the fabric, don't worry about the name.
So what fabrics should I be looking for.

Is a purpose built suit better than a puffy set with rain gear?

go_deep

WKR

I like wool base and mid weights, but synthetics work good too. Sitting in cold, verse hiking and glassing like I do in Wyoming demands a different outter wear, and that's where you'll need to try a few different things to see what works.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t overthink the clothing stuff too much if you are just stand hunting. Just get some merino base layers and you probably already have stuff in your closet to layer over top of that. Wrangler outdoor pants has an insulated option that I wear with base layers in the stand in WI as long as the temps are above 30. I love those pants. If it’s colder I throw some black carhartt bibs on.

You will eventually tweak your clothing system as you go, but I hunt 40 days a year or more and haven’t felt the need to buy expensive clothing

S-3 ranch

WKR

You would be surprised how good old navy, and other brand, fleece is .
keep a eye out for woolen clothing & socks, ugly Christmas sweaters @ thrift stores
frogg togg rain gear is -$50 , Walmart clearance post season sales deals can be grabbed

Venom One

WKR
I think some of my intent slipped here.

I want to buy the best stuff I can, at a good sales price. Buy once cry once.

I’m just unsure what I really need.

The "buy once, cry once" mantra is great, but IMO isn't a good approach for people just starting their hunting journey; and certainly not when funds are limited. I say this because when you're first starting out, you really don't know what works (for you) and what doesn't. You might buy an expensive pair of Sitka pants - buy once, cry once - only to find they don't fit your needs. Now you have an expensive pair of pants - that you don't like, that consumed funds that could have been used elsewhere - and now have to be used or sold for a loss.

Clothing SPECIFICALLY for hunting is the last thing I'd apply the buy once, cry once mentality for someone in your situation. I'd start hunting with everyday, earth-tone clothes and spend the first few years finding out what you need for your style of hunting and your region. Once you get some experience in the field and know what will work for you, then apply the 'buy once, cry once' approach. Heck, you might find that hunting sounded more romantic than it really is, or that hunting takes too much of your time. Start cheap, get experience, then buy informed....my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Hudsy

FNG
Scentlok is having a great sale right now. As I mentioned in another post, I’m not a scent freak, but their gear holds up for years and years.

dtrkyman

WKR
x2 on scent lok sale. Also check out Drake Non trypical. Blocker outdoors is another, aka scent blocker, I have some of their stuff for years, holds up great!

OP
J

JCook5003

FNG
Thanks so much for all the advice.

I’ve picked up quit a few nice layer options that are earth tones. Out gear is much cheaper than hunting gear as mentioned.

I can also use it in my everyday life which is awesome.

I would love to find some camo or otherwise bibs that are insulated.

Preferably that don’t weigh a ton and can be packed into my stand and put on once I get cold.

Does such a thing exist?

I love a bib for the warmth of sitting. And fleece for being quiet. But hunting bibs cost a fortune and carhartts are heavy as piss.

I come from a lightweight backpacking background so I’d love to stay light.

OP
J

JCook5003

FNG
Maybe the browning hydro fleece bibs? I’m solid they are on sale for about $125. Seems like a solid choice.

Maybe something for under waders?

Not sure.