PA Monster Bull

OP
jdmaxwell

jdmaxwell

WKR
Thanks to all.

RMEF contacted me. My Bull will tour the country with them in 2018 in the Great American Elk Tour.

What an honor.

I have to ask how close you live to your unit that you were able to scout? I'm at 11 points myself, but if I ever draw I don't know how I'd find enough time to travel up and scout.

OP
jdmaxwell

jdmaxwell

WKR
I have to ask how close you live to your unit that you were able to scout? I'm at 11 points myself, but if I ever draw I don't know how I'd find enough time to travel up and scout.

I live 1.5 hours from the Zone I drew.

My wife and I spend every single weekend there scouting since I drew tag, and I took some vacation days off work scouting also..

OP
jdmaxwell

jdmaxwell

WKR
Some of the Bulls I had footage of scouting.
So I knew bigger ones there.

OP
jdmaxwell

jdmaxwell

WKR
Official today..

Had my Bull B&C scored today.

406 4/8 B&C...

Biggest PA Bull ever harvested Unguided!!!!!!

4th Biggest PA Bull ever harvested.

Super Pumped.

Stwrt9

WKR
congrats that's awesome! I'm still waiting out the drying period on my bear this year so I can get him scored B&C should be just over 21"

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, congrats on a monster bull. I can't believe there is elk like that, or any elk, in PA!! Awesome

Pa has a herd for roughly 800 to 1200 animals (estimate) There are usually 20 bull tags given every year and around 100 cow tags depending on game commissions population estimate. The herd is centered around Bennezette just north of I80. The elk in and around Bennezzette are fairly tame.

The elk in surrounding areas are as wild as any deer I have come across. If you Google the keystone elk alliance then you will find more information.

For the application fee, $10, it's worth a applying for but it's like 0.5% draw and the system even though it is called preference points works like most bonus points systems out west. For every preference point you have you get your new in the hat again.

It is not a wilderness hunt but there are steep and thick places to hunt.

There are also some very large Bulls taken every year and for the most part everyone will help you with finding elk. Depending on the zone you get drawn for you could see many elk or have to hunt small pockets of them. The game commissions website has data somewhere that shows the kill location of harvested animals. Most are centered around Bennezette.

If your driving through for some reason stop and see everything.

North Carolina Tennessee Kentucky and I think now South Carolina all have herds of elk now but Kentucky is the only other state that allows hunting to my knowledge

It's a great looking bull, that's for sure. Congratulations!!! And KY's tag system sucks. It's strictly a lottery. I've heard of guys being drawn multiple times while some of us have never been drawn. Some kind of point system would be nice, even a bonus point system. Or one and done. Either way, congratulations on a beautiful bull.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
It's a great looking bull, that's for sure. Congratulations!!! And KY's tag system sucks. It's strictly a lottery. I've heard of guys being drawn multiple times while some of us have never been drawn. Some kind of point system would be nice, even a bonus point system. Or one and done. Either way, congratulations on a beautiful bull.

So its like the wyoming resident elk drawing? All chance, no points.

So its like the wyoming resident elk drawing? All chance, no points.
Yes, it's all chance!! No preference points, no bonus points, nothing. Just throw your name in a hat. For $10 each you select rifle bull, rifle cow, archery bull, or archery cow. Last year was the first year you could select all 4, previously you could only select 2.

OP
jdmaxwell

jdmaxwell

WKR
Told today our elk hunt will air the week of July 10th on Outdoor channel.

Fantastic bull!

My dads cousin killed a PA bull a few years ago, another real monster. Its neat to have at least a chance to kill an east coast elk. I was curious about the history of the PA elk herd and found the following informative link. worth a read if you have a little time.

History of Elk in PA