Pa Saturday turkey season opener 4/27/13

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok the last hour has been pretty good. Saw about 4 hens two jakes and 3 biggies. They all came by at 60yds. Then dlsappesred
Then a hafl hour later
one big tom came in to 30 yds. I was hoping for more like 20
Hens then start off in the corn field behind me and he turned and when up after them.

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok he came back with 3 hen and a jake
He was about 17 yds. I drew back and then must of saw me
He turn and started walking fast away. But their is another bird gobbling. 70 or so out
Stay tuned and maybe something will stll happen. It's a great day
Just a little slow first off.I've heard 50 plus gobbles

Last edited:
OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
He's still out there. Just won't come in. Anyone got a idea?

Last edited:
OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
OK I'm out and home. It was a good day Had a chance to get a bird. But it was not in the cards. I'll give a recap a little later.

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Headsup, aren't they the one's that are about 70-80 dollars?

That said I like to keep adding to this hunt over the next weeks as I get to hunt. Should I/it be moved to to turkey thread section? I'll be out to hunt tomorrow Monday 4/29/13 and will post about that here. But It could be a few days in between that I don't hunt. Respectfully Ed

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Recap of the Pa opening day Saturday 4/27/13.

Ok first off the place I hunting is a place I know well.. I've been checking it out the last month and the owner said they have been seeing turkey in the back corn field every day or so.. So I've checked it out a few times and saw sign and birds. The last two times I've been there the week before the season opened, I saw birds and that was the last half hour of day light. So the birds had to be roosting close by.

So I decided to go in Friday night and use my blind as my shelter (I do this a lot hunting spring birds in NY state) and stay over night. I didn't need very much extra gear. A bag, a sleep pad and a little extra water and food. It was one night and you can only hunt till noon the first two weeks in the Pa spring season. Friday night I moved in to were I thought would be a good spot to start the morning out. I did not see or hear a bird Friday night. I did get there a little later than i wanted to "but" it is what it is.. I keep myself busy reading till bed time about 10.

So morning comes, I'm up at about 5 and it's all quite till about 6am. That's when I heard my first gobble out about 250 yds. I then heard quit a bit of gobbling 4-500yds out. But not to close.. The first thing I saw was three deer. It must of been about 730 when I heard a gobble close by. Then about 15 mins later I see a bird out of the corner of my eye. I gab my binnos and their is more than one bird 3 big one's 2 jake's and 4 hens. They came by a 60 yds and walked away out of site. About 30 mins later a lone tom starts working his way toward me. He came to 30 yds and the hens started sounding off from where he came from and he turned and started back the way he came from out of site again.

Ok maybe a hour later birds are sounding off from the west of me. A short time later I see him and he coming in. He's Following 3 hens and a lone jake. Hes 100yds out,, but closing the distant. 15 mins later he with in 20 yds. But not a clear shot. He finally walks out in a clearing 17 yds from me. Easy shot! :) But for one thing,,, one of the other bird must of saw me draw back. He turns and all the birds start walking away fast and out of view. That was the last time I saw a bird. But I did still hear birds gobbling. One was pretty close.. But none would come in. At 11 o'clock I had to go. Had orders from Julie be home for a b-day party we had to go to. One more thing,,, I did have a hen and a jake decoy out about 7 yds from the blind.. Ed

Last edited:

ST52v

WKR
Remember Ed you are trying to reverse nature. The hen normally go to the gobler so if he can see the decoy he may just strut and gobel from his position. They are like some Elk if your setup is to open they may not come in close enough for a shot. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Dam some guy just walked by.walkwd right towards the birds. This is going to be a short day, I'm thinking!!! :(

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I'm home. I did post from my phone a few times not sure were the posts are? Anyway I hunted the same spot as Saturday I did not do it a over nighter like Friday night.. Went in this morning and got there nice and early.. Bird started to gobble at day break. I think I heard 3 maybe 4 diff birds from 100 to 400 yds out. All was going great then a guy walks right by my blind about 30 yds away, I don't think he saw me but he must of heard my calling as I called 30 seconds before I saw him. Anyway he walks right at the closest bird about 100yds out and over the hill out of site. 5 mins late all's quite.. :( A haft hour later I hear some yelps coming from the corn field behind. me,I turned and looked and there's a big tom just coming out of the corn field. He's taking his time and he's out 60 yds. He see's the decoys and start gobbling.. But isn't moving he's just standing, gobbling and sturting in place.. About 15-20 mins pass and two jakes are now in site. The tom is at 12 o'clock and the jakes are at 3 and their coming to the decoys. This starts the tom on his way to me.. GREAT!!! :) He gets to about 30 yds and then starts to run right at the jakes and the decoys. He gets to like 15 yds stops and fans out. I drew the bow and he then closes up and takes 2 or 3 more steps and stands there. He's now standing at 12 yds... Anyway I got to get off to work!!! :)

Last edited:
OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Still having bad luck... posting pick!! and some of the pixs I did get posted a few weeks ago are gone from the post I had them at.

Last edited:
OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I know when I click on the attachment it opens to my turkey photo. Is it working for everyone else when you click??? Thanks Ed