Pack Build-Along, Frame and All

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
I have the first back pad panel finished. I think I will sew the Spandura to the top, leaving the ends open in order to stuff the padding in. I'll use velcro tabs to seal the ends so that I can adjust the padding if needed.

Now a question...where is the best location to mount the ladder loc for the belt stabilization strap? I am thinking of running a piece of webbing across the lumbar mount with a ladder lock on each end.

That's where i think it makes the most sense. But I have zero field experience. Pretty sure that's where the kifaru ones are located.

I decided to leave off any of the loops on the back of my frame for a grab-it or cargo panel type attachment, thus also leaving off frame mounts for the belt stabilizers. Always planning on having a bag on the frame anyways. If I get to a 26" frame I'd plan on putting them on that one.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
I've gone as far as I can go with frame, and I am waiting on the Spandura to finish up the padding. I mounted the ladder-locs for the hip belt stabilizer straps, so the pack side is finished. I'll make a cargo panel and a small pack (for this year) to mount on it.

On the flip side, I finished up the back pad panels. Did some seam ripping and changed the way they mount in the center. They now both use 2" hook and loop (instead of the 1" I started with).

I may mount the back padding with velcro, which would allow me to make the padding modular. I could then change the position, thickness, etc. without having to redo the whole panel. I could make little cubes the nested together like Tartan's.

29527368462_1970bdc8d9_c.jpg

29638160855_69a0e1879e_c.jpg

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
Looking good!

I didn't have a lot of time this weekend. I've got the harness pieces cut and lined out. Just need to sew it all together. Doubt I'll get to it tonight, but hopefully tomorrow.

Right now without the harness, everything weighs in at 3.2 lbs. Didn't really know what to expect, but I was afraid I was going to end up with an 8 lb frame... glad it seems to be in-line with some of the products on market (hopefully it performs as well too...)

marcb

FNG
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of machine are you running? I'm hunting for a good sewing machine to play around with this winter.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of machine are you running? I'm hunting for a good sewing machine to play around with this winter.

It's a trade secret...Brother B837. Comparable machines are the Juki 563 and the Consew 206RB. It's a triple feed machine (needle feed, walking foot and feed dogs). The feed makes all the difference. I have had similar machine lacking needle feed and the results were less than stellar. I could do this without it, but the assembly would have to be thought out thoroughly since I couldn't add on anything later (just like if you were using a home machine). Being able to sew through 4 layers of webbing, 2 layers of Cordura and 1/16th inch HDPE is really nice.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR

5shots got the good stuff. I'm running an early 70s singer 6704. It handles the Cordura and a 3 layers of webbing pretty easily, but no go on punching through the hdpe. Doing some work arounds to get the upper thread tension I need.

overall, for a machine i inherited and spent a couple of bucks refurbishing, it does everything I need and almost everything I want. Some day I'll upgrade to a more industrial machine. But this old bird is working well for me now.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Even if a home machine could go through all that, it would be dead after the project. They just aren't made to handle the load.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Cargo Panel a little over half done. Just need to finish sewing on the horizontal straps. Not sure if I am going to fill it in with PALS, but I can do that later. I don't plan on mounting much of anything on the outside at this point. I also have to make the strap kit, but I am waiting on my order of 3 Bar sliders and the female split bar buckles.

29647733945_f89f4fc6ae_c.jpg

29023332193_a2f16f5d8f_c.jpg

marcb

FNG
It's a trade secret...Brother B837. Comparable machines are the Juki 563 and the Consew 206RB.

Thanks, so many machines or three it's hard to know what does what well. Different feed different needle types different capacities etc.

Initial project will be external composite frame and bags. I can do composite, bags will be the learning curve

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, so many machines or three it's hard to know what does what well. Different feed different needle types different capacities etc.

Initial project will be external composite frame and bags. I can do composite, bags will be the learning curve

Those are all industrials, and aren't cheap, but they are bullet proof and can do everything you ask of them. The only limitation is that they are straight stitch only. There aren't any triple feed machines that also do zig zag for under $6k. If you are interested in a certain type of machine, just ask and I'll tell you what I know. Many DIY'ers will point you in the direction of the older home machines, and they will work to a point, but when you need to go through multiple layers of webbing, they start to fall short. If you were only doing bags, etc. they would be just fine and much cheaper. Tartan had to plan out the waist belt because his machine didn't have enough clearance to go through the 1/2" foam, and even if he could get it under there, it wouldn't feed consistently.

marcb

FNG
Those are all industrials, and aren't cheap, but they are bullet proof and can do everything you ask of them. The only limitation is that they are straight stitch only. There aren't any triple feed machines that also do zig zag for under $6k. If you are interested in a certain type of machine, just ask and I'll tell you what I know. Many DIY'ers will point you in the direction of the older home machines, and they will work to a point, but when you need to go through multiple layers of webbing, they start to fall short. If you were only doing bags, etc. they would be just fine and much cheaper. Tartan had to plan out the waist belt because his machine didn't have enough clearance to go through the 1/2" foam, and even if he could get it under there, it wouldn't feed consistently.

I restored a pfaff bar tacker so I familiar with the extra divergence between even a robust home machine and a serious industrial unit.

That saidao my wife secured a grandma's home unit for free and I'm going to learn on that while educating myself and looking for a serious machine. Only used a machine once before so I need practice early and often

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Nice score on the bar tacker. That is totally outside what I normally do, so I doubt I'll ever pick one up.

marcb

FNG
Nice score on the bar tacker. That is totally outside what I normally do, so I doubt I'll ever pick one up.

It was for a project that never took off. I probably going to sell it to make room for whatever industrial machine I end up with. Running out of room with a wood shop, a metal shop and a forge

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Finished up the cargo panel. Still have to finish the remainder of the straps. I have it loaded up with a 65L Dry Bag, and it seems to fit nicely.

29399773680_e1d9abab2f_c.jpg

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
My shoulder harness is finished. I still need to cut all my straps to length. I left them all a little long.

Haven't put any weight on it yet. Will be starting a bag soon, but once I get my K-Clips in I'll lash something heavy to it to see how it feels with some weight in it. I'll get some pics up later with it on.

YFVkr5fu4d5LXAULrWwx0yr_nxxEfmIBOgiawS9Y33j78WFkfOTO4QiT7n0cHt3HsYA6apt-R2JDHB7dCoI9OPufNZJw1mPcgNNbf4v3vm2B2lsOUsWAF_2tzcv-DOdTVc6rkWzhu0SbleXG2yDxJkbcTswFwLCoTdO9tOFQYB4wHskCgN6WMzhsvEOSXvDvVuM0o_pucy7t-x5HiD913IU5-Kl4HqeADOGGzpCmz_MN3q1qwLwyxfgpIQxt54tU71OGjHEnSenjZKJL8_7viluO5CxbrUtkSHHh_QlPa3ZiFP0I6SnDRUfq2QCulkjRC8CpuBLmqEFmUgc2AsCKu1HeD5S90dAwZ5_T1ka6fgMFLat_mWnUDbYIWtEp_Z92ifBtVI26UFUz9Wwchi7JFYhgD5W_tXWsAlfPcEEnMOrozMGxiD0I-M8hnbLQrINZU9fLCZIQiEmhFLtrcGUWaqbvHeVr7cSQU5DiEBBnrHjEgLJiJ3lM2xP5XzUpG4Fe7xsVn8iTVsStVvhoWPoAtW9dfBhmJ_oINY-eSyYS-YtYIkf6Z499thHNj_TV_zIhJMVmK-Y9TIuTxLswYoWoA4qEmD3on7t3aAzuxSIWxUkkPLgK=w743-h990-no