Pack on a budget

htr2133

FNG
First time poster, long-time reader on here!

I've been researching seriously for a new hunting pack and I'm just not finding what I'm looking for in my budget. I think it must exist and I'm just missing it somehow. I'd like to spend less than $200. I'm a mobile tree-stand, public land bow-hunter and I'm searching out a pack for that application specifically. I only plan to hunt in TN with this pack; so it doesn't need to scale up for western elk hunts.

Currently I use a Molle II system on my XOP Air Raid and I strap extra clothes and a fanny pack to the stand. This works and is comfy, but it is inefficient. I haven't packed a deer out with this yet. I know I could, but I don't think it would be comfortable or easy to get everything out in one trip. I'm looking for a better way that will allow me to also pack out de-boned deer without having to go to truck to dump gear first and return for deer.

Based on research:

1. I am leaning toward a pack with an expandable load-shelf to pack my stand in and meat/stand out
2. I don't carry much gear or extra clothes; don't really need or want a big pack in the tree, but need the ability to get stand/deer meat out when I'm successful. It just seems like I have to go full frame pack and get a bigger pack than I need or, go with a great small hunting pack that is right-sized but won't pack the stand/deer meat in/out well.
3. I don't care if it is Camo.
4. I don't care if it is waterproof really.
5. I'm open to used packs but don't know where to look really

Does this unicorn pack exist? Hit me with what you have found that fits the bill please!

I recently tried to do your #1 and don’t think it is reasonably possible, even with a bigger budget. The meat shelf packs usually don’t have enough lashing straps to hold meat and a stand effectively. Plus, now you’re talking about up to 50-90 pounds of a quartered deer plus the 15-25 pounds of your stand sticking far off your back. You’re going to need to make two trips.

I just carried 98# out with an ILBE, which is probably the closest thing you could find in your budget that is tough enough for that purpose. It sucked hard. I had to split the load half way back because the pack sucks at transferring weight to your hips when it is that heavy and so it was all on my shoulders.

I’d recommend you get a Mystery Ranch Terraframe on sale. It will be more than $200 but not much more. That should be able to comfortable haul what you need but probably separate trips.

You can catch an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe on sale around that budget. With the compression straps, you can attach whatever you want to it. Stand, sticks, etc, and lash on your fanny pack or whatever you carry up into the tree to hunt with. Can easily haul a whole deer out with it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Crumbz

FNG
Last year I picked up a lightly used; turned out to be like new, Mystery Pop Up 28 on eBay for $200 shipped…. took a while to get a pack as I had a budget in mind as well, just happened to stumble across it.

A used top-of-the-line frame (Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, etc) with some extra straps or a cargo net/panel/sling (instead of a bag) could make an economical and versatile load hauler. I use my Kifaru frame with a homemade cargo net (hauling sandbags for weight training, treestands, meat quarters, recently a whole field dressed whitetail doe) as much or more than I use it with a bag. It might be possible to stay under $200 using this approach with a secondhand MR frame, other high end brands would probably cost you closer to $300.
20211107_095706.jpg

Just go buy a load sling and put that on a military frame = done

Or go look at the wilderness pack specialties load sling - they used to have one for $20
ebay for the Marines molle load sling - change the buckles to match whatever you have.
lots of options without breaking the bank or overdoing it - just have to get creative.

I think there is even a no-frame solution for elk hunters involving a bag that fits over your head and has a open bag in front and back - one for each quarter. I wouldn't use that in the rough country I hunt but you could roll that up and throw it in a whitetail pack. You would have more than one pack out but it could be comfortable enough.

OP
H

htr2133

FNG
A used top-of-the-line frame (Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, etc) with some extra straps or a cargo net/panel/sling (instead of a bag) could make an economical and versatile load hauler. I use my Kifaru frame with a homemade cargo net (hauling sandbags for weight training, treestands, meat quarters, recently a whole field dressed whitetail doe) as much or more than I use it with a bag. It might be possible to stay under $200 using this approach with a secondhand MR frame, other high end brands would probably cost you closer to $300.
View attachment 346843
Thanks, appreciate the pic as well!

scout17

FNG
no personal experience, yet, but I am leanring towards the pack-rabbit system myself. I like the prices and comes with lifetime warranty for any damage. Just a tab above budget but it might be worth it for the modularity.

again, I havent used them yet and I cant find too much about them. WHat I have found has been all positive and the integrated seat has me really interested

Last edited:

BDRam16

WKR
no personal experience, yet, but I am leanring towards the pack-rabbit system myself. I like the prices and comes with lifetime warranty for any damage. Just a tab above budget but it might be worth it for the modularity.

again, I havent used them yet and I cant find too much about them. WHat I have found has been all positive and the integrated seat has me really interested
Seems a lot like a surplus MOLLE II frame you can get for super cheap with an added seat feature.

Shilly21

FNG
If you can catch it right, Gohunt.com usually has a few sales a year and you can pick up a MR Pop Up 28 for about that price. If not I would vote for Badlands.

OP
H

htr2133

FNG
OP What did you end up going with?
ordered a handi-pak from wilderness; going to try to use that w my stand as the frame pack still. If that doesn't work, I'll attach it to my molle II large ruck-sack frame (which looks just like the frame sold by Wilderness).

kjw

WKR
Keep an eye on Camofire. Once in a while they have mystery ranch and tenzig packs. You might be able to find what you need there. Another option is to look out of the hunting market for a pack. Not sure what all the options are but things tend to be cheaper out of the hunting world

Watch the classifieds for a used Kifaru frame, throw a cargo Panel on it and you're stylin'. If necessary you can add guide lid and/or pouches to the belt/CP. It's a freighter ready to pack your game out. Hauling stuff into the field? Putting up tree-stands? Going camping? It will handle it all. I can put a ten day camp with food in a 55L drybag and I'm good to go. Once I remove the dry bag the pack weighs almost nothing. 6lbs with the basics (rain gear, kit kit, water, etc.). Just be patient and watch the classifieds daily. I've purchased a ton of used stuff here...cheap.

KIFARUPACK3.jpg

flatpack.JPG
KIFARUPACK2.jpg